Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
I have 60 books on african hunting, none fiction.

Hard to tell which is my favorite.

mark-hunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Namibia - Kalahari, Namibia - Khomas highland
Most of books that we read are books in plain text.
Now I have need for color illustrated book, minimum to none text.

My kids will be coming with me next time and I would like them to get familiarized with African wild life, to be able to identify the animal once they see it. They don't really want text but rather photographies. What I have seen the text does not appeal to them but many good photos like here on AH, do. they are age 12 and 14.

So the question is, which good books with nice photos of African plains game, of savanna ecosystem you guys may recommend for kids to be educational?

Timbo

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BGRC PFRC & SSAA
Hunted
Australia (WA & NT), Zimbabwe, Zambia, South Africa
I use bookfinder.com for searching out books. I am sure there are other sites but this one almost always works. I just finished Tony Parks Silent Predator and it was a corker, his best so far, that I have read. I didn't see any mention of The End of the Game, a photo book by Peter Beard. Very interesting book. If you really want to torture yourself, ask yourself which would be the one Africa book you would keep above all others. For me, though a tough call, I think it would the first African Hunter my James Mellon. I have a 1st HB ed and would find it very hard to part with.
For me, the one book I absolutely love and have read many, many times is J A Hunter's "Hunter" with Brian Herne's "Uganda Safaris" a very, very close second.

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
For me, the one book I absolutely love and have read many, many times is J A Hunter's "Hunter" with Brian Herne's "Uganda Safaris" a very, very close second.
I have both of those and agree, great books. I think Hunter may have been the first African book I ever bought. Had my copy since the 60's. Uganda Safaris is not often seen and had mine a long time as well.

superdutch

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA life member
Hunted
SA East Cape (‘19) Tanzania ('18) Namibia ('15, '17), USA - AK, CO, ID, NM, SC, FL, GA, WI, TX
Not a hunting book, but I really enjoyed Into Africa by Dugard. It tells the story of Stanley's search for Linvingstone, and the other early explorers. It is a researched history book, but reads like a work of fiction.

Trail Rated

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I just finished “Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter” by WDM Bell and really enjoyed it — I’ll check out his other work recommended on this thread.

Earlier I had read T Roosevelt’s “African Game Trails.” I’m a huge Hemingway fan so of course I have “Green Hills” and “Under Kilimanjaro/True At First Light” as well as all the short stories.

I confess I really didn’t enjoy Capstick’s “Death in the Long Grass” — too much tortured prose. Cool stories, though.

JPbowhunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
I just finished “Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter” by WDM Bell and really enjoyed it — I’ll check out his other work recommended on this thread.

Earlier I had read T Roosevelt’s “African Game Trails.” I’m a huge Hemingway fan so of course I have “Green Hills” and “Under Kilimanjaro/True At First Light” as well as all the short stories.

I confess I really didn’t enjoy Capstick’s “Death in the Long Grass” — too much tortured prose. Cool stories, though.

Agree on captsick, i wouldn't bother reading another of his books. In addition to that, some of his accounts of stories by others are inaccurate anyway.

JPbowhunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
The greatest african book I've read for me is easy. No more the tusker by george rushby.

Though a different style I'd put him on par with jim corbett in my favourites. Maneaters of komaon and the fortunate tiger are great books but the maneating leopard of rudraprayag and jungle lore are the best books I've read.

Colin davies Deer on my doorstep about NZ is another great read.

Jason Miller

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Hunted
South Africa
Part of my Africa Book Collection. When you get done reading and collecting the hunting books search out some of the early African Exploration books, amazing stories and fun to read. Excuse the pic as my bookcases were being built in the pic and some of the trim was not complete.

lastly I recommend a book called Congo Kitabu, from a late friend of mine Jean Pierre Hallet. incredible read even though he wasn't necessarily pro hunter.

IMG_5579.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Wheels

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe
Part of my Africa Book Collection. When you get done reading and collecting the hunting books search out some of the early African Exploration books, amazing stories and fun to read. Excuse the pic as my bookcases were being built in the pic and some of the trim was not complete.

lastly I recommend a book called Congo Kitabu, from a late friend of mine Jean Pierre Hallet. incredible read even though he wasn't necessarily pro hunter.

View attachment 261848

I enlarged the photo and read a number of your titles. Nice African library.

Looks like nice ivory too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CorneliusW

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh