Favorite .375 bullet for Buffalo?

Haven't hunted with the AB, but have developed loads with it. If my info is correct it is only made up to 260gr in the .375, so it is not appropriate in my mind for DG just on weight alone.

The Partition, a great bullet, took bullet technology to a new level. Could it be used on buff? Yes I'm sure it has. But just as the Partition was an advancement, the bonded bullets are also an advancement. The A-Frame for all intents and purposes is a bonded Partition. So if I had to choose between the NP and A-Frame or North Fork, it's the AF or NF without hesitation.

Nosler has listed in their catalog a 300 grain Accubond as well as the 260. I don't know how "new" this product is.....but I agree with you that the 260 grain might be a bit light. As for the partitions, I use them in my .30-06....the 180 and 200 grain versions shoot 1/4" groups at 100 yards from a rest; I find it hard to pass on that type of accuracy, even if better bullet technology is available!
Interestingly enough, partitions didn't shoot very well in my .338 Win mag, but accubonds did.....and accubonds didn't shoot worth a tinker's damn in my .30-06, but the partitions do......go figure!
I plan on testing whatever I can get my hands on, but I just waited 4 months to get some more accubonds for the .338, so while I may find a "favorite", I certainly don't want to limit my options in case I can't find what I need prior to going to Africa on my next trip, whenever that might be.........I have been waiting for 3 years for a new run of .35 Remington brass and .22 rimfire is still next to impossible to find at reasonable prices around here.
One's gotta takes what one can gets, if you know what I mean..............

Nosler has listed in their catalog a 300 grain Accubond as well as the 260. I don't know how "new" this product is.....but I agree with you that the 260 grain might be a bit light. As for the partitions, I use them in my .30-06....the 180 and 200 grain versions shoot 1/4" groups at 100 yards from a rest; I find it hard to pass on that type of accuracy, even if better bullet technology is available!
Interestingly enough, partitions didn't shoot very well in my .338 Win mag, but accubonds did.....and accubonds didn't shoot worth a tinker's damn in my .30-06, but the partitions do......go figure!
I plan on testing whatever I can get my hands on, but I just waited 4 months to get some more accubonds for the .338, so while I may find a "favorite", I certainly don't want to limit my options in case I can't find what I need prior to going to Africa on my next trip, whenever that might be.........I have been waiting for 3 years for a new run of .35 Remington brass and .22 rimfire is still next to impossible to find at reasonable prices around here.
One's gotta takes what one can gets, if you know what I mean..............

You'll find no bigger Partition fan than me, I can assure you that. I've only had a couple of times I could not get very good accuracy with them and they just work. Didn't know they were now making a 300gr AB.

Having said that when it comes to DG, it's a different story and there's even better than the NP for that type of close in work.

Regarding AB loads, if you're a hand loader, I've found that seating them long is usually required and will make a night/day difference when doing so.

300gr in swifts, tsx, North fork and GS custom in 265gr! These put the hammer down.
350's are not great for all round and your barrels twist needs to be able to stabilise them. I found they bend ...

Regarding AB loads, if you're a hand loader, I've found that seating them long is usually required and will make a night/day difference when doing so.

I've found the same thing; however, if you don't seat them deep enough, then they don't feed well through the magazine!!! (found this one out the hard way! DOH!!:censored:) I noticed that the 300 grain accubond in .375 has a cannelure on it (and a LOT of bullet below the cannelure!). I will give them a go, but it may be a moot point.

I have heard it said that PHs prefer that the first round be a soft point or expanding bullet, and that the rest be solids.....Nosler makes a 300 grain solid as well (a lot of bullet companies don't, for some reason:E Head Scratch:. Of course, this could just all be :S Bs Flag:, for all I know.............I would much rather prefer loading one bullet and one load.

Just a little problem I had with a 225gr. Accubond in my .338 WM on my first trip to Africa. The animal that it was recovered from was obviously dead, but I don't think that this was supposed to happen with a bonded bullet.
HPIM0268.JPG

GREAT information guys.....thank you very much!!!

I never really gave much thought to Barnes bullets; the other hunters in camp last year used them exclusively (PG) and they worked very well......I will definitely be checking them out.

One question, though..........no Nosler supporters? I used the accubond and partition last year on PG and they worked rather well; just kind of curious to see that they weren't mentioned at all.....

Hi again Mr 16 gauge,

Be sure to consult your PH in all matters of equipment, including rifle and ammunition for it.

One of the greatest authors ever to put ink to paper (my opinion) is Dr. Kevin "Doctari" Robertson and he endorses monometal expanding bullets, such as Barnes and similar.
It is difficult to make a case against his vast experience, however he does also endorse other types of premium bullets for buffalo in .375 caliber as well, such as the Swift A-Frame for one.

I am friends with three, very successful PH's, Hannes Swanepoel, John Luyt and Roelof Neiman who, dislike the monometal expanding type of bullet, due to the all too often failure to expand incidents, they have witnessed.
If you wish to discuss this topic with someone who has seen monometal expanding bullets fail to expand on real animals, often enough to be of concern, (on real animals and not in wet newspapers or other nonsense), email your questions to:
big5game@worldonline.co.za
The safari season is soon to get going fast now so be patient, you will eventually receive a reply.

Worth mentioning IMO is the fact that the Hornady DGX and DGS are quite similar to the good old Pre-War Rigby softs and solids, used with huge success in such cartridges as the .416 Rigby Mausers and .450 NE doubles and single shots.
Lead cores, malleable steel jackets but plated over with guilding metal to go a little easier on the riflings.
No doubt at least part of the reason for Rigby's great reputation was due to these excellent bullets performance on African and Indian game.

I've only shot one buffalo but it was with the DGX and DGS respectively (the old British one two punch classic of, right and left barrel).
The DGX I used can be seen in my photos, along with another one recovered from a zebra and one unfired, the DGS (solid) was not recovered (all 480 grain from .450 No2NE).
He is still dead to this day.

Regarding Nosler Partition for buffalo in .375 H&H Swanepoel told me he has seen one fail to penetrate with a face-on shot into a buffalo at close range, due to it shattering like glass against the brisket bones.
However, he is quick to say that it is one of the best plains game bullets available.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Just a little problem I had with a 225gr. Accubond in my .338 WM on my first trip to Africa. The animal that it was recovered from was obviously dead, but I don't think that this was supposed to happen with a bonded bullet.View attachment 39821

The enemy of lead core expanding bullets seems to be excessive velocity, especially against heavy bone.
And, the enemy of copper alloy or monometal expanding bullets seems to be not enough velocity (also in some cases a bet tip/hollow point pinched shut, from impacting dry mud or a heavy bone at just the wrong angle).

Mr.16, when you write 375 I was thinking your question was include buffalo, off course if the buff is on the list there is not any reason to using a too heavy bullet and if you going for pg with Blue W and Eland as largest game. Is this case I would use a 300 gr Nosler Partition or a 250 gr Trophy Bonded, both of them will be loaded by Federal.

my thoughts on Hornady and other similar style bullets is this... its the year 2015 and bullet tech has come a long way since the early 1900s. there is no reason we should be using standard cup and core bullets on DG any more. we now have soft point bullets with bonded jackets and mono-metal bullets that expand reliably.

i just cant figure out why someone would intentionally handicap themselves by using a cup and core bullet when better bullets are easily available.

-matt

One man's handicap is another man's advantage.

Because double rifles do not always regulate with monometal bullets.
Because they are very hard compared to lead core bullets and can fail to expand at the old classic Pre-War NE velocities.
Because overly hard bullets are questionable as to whether or not they can separate the muzzles of older doubles.
Because an exit hole is not usually a bad thing but exit holes in three animals from one shot usually is.
Because the only time you ever tried them they were clownishly inaccurate.
Because they copper streaked your .300 H&H bore so badly that you had to embrace a caustic chemical to remove it.
Because in some versions, after seating on a normal to light powder charge they are still too long for some magazines.
Because your chosen PH has asked you politely to not bring them.
Because you believe that blunt shaped projectiles, all else being equal, put animals down faster than pointy ones do.
Because your personal experiences with hollow point bullets in general has convinced you they too often don't expand.
Because when Ruark's 1950's "Always Use Enough Gun" is combined with the over 100 year formula of, high sectional density jacketed lead core blunt bullet, at sensible velocity, fired into the vitals of any animal, it all works very well so, why fix it.

Just a little problem I had with a 225gr. Accubond in my .338 WM on my first trip to Africa. The animal that it was recovered from was obviously dead, but I don't think that this was supposed to happen with a bonded bullet.View attachment 39821

Was the shot at fairly close range? The one hit I've heard on the AB's is that if impact velocity is too high, this will be the result.

Because double rifles do not always regulate with monometal bullets. (then try bonded lead bullets like Woodleighs)
Because they are very hard compared to lead core bullets and can fail to expand at the old classic Pre-War NE velocities. (i did say bonded lead bullets as well)
Because overly hard bullets are questionable as to whether or not they can separate the muzzles of older doubles. (again, bonded lead bullets)
Because an exit hole is not usually a bad thing but exit holes in three animals from one shot usually is. (again, bonded lead bullets)
Because the only time you ever tried them they were clownishly inaccurate. (did you try other bonded and or mono-metal bullets?)
Because they copper streaked your .300 H&H bore so badly that you had to embrace a caustic chemical to remove it. (try a different bonded/mono-metal bullet)
Because in some versions, after seating on a normal to light powder charge they are still too long for some magazines. (either use a lighter mono-metal bullet or use a bonded lead bullet)
Because your chosen PH has asked you politely to not bring them. (if your PH doesnt like bonded bullets or mono-metal bullets then i suppose you could use what ever he wants)
Because you believe that blunt shaped projectiles, all else being equal, put animals down faster than pointy ones do. (woodleigh makes blunt bullets)
Because your personal experiences with hollow point bullets in general has convinced you they too often don't expand. (almost none of the bonded lead bullets are HP)
Because when Ruark's 1950's "Always Use Enough Gun" is combined with the over 100 year formula of, high sectional density jacketed lead core blunt bullet, at sensible velocity, fired into the vitals of any animal, it all works very well so, why fix it. (how does this rule out Woodleigh bullets?)

we now have soft point bullets with bonded jackets and mono-metal bullets that expand reliably.

-matt

Was the shot at fairly close range? The one hit I've heard on the AB's is that if impact velocity is too high, this will be the result.
It was maybe 120 yards at an impala that was facing me head on. I hit him square in the brisket and the bullet blew up. I would have to look up what my muzzle velocity was, I don't remember right now. It was right after that little incident that I switched to the 250 Speer Grand Slams that I had along with me and had no more problems. I took the 225 gr, AB's along for use on the smaller critters at longer ranges, they shot really well and had a slightly better trajectory then the GS's. My son used one to knock the snot out of a baboon at 334 yards, they worked very well for that.

It was maybe 120 yards at an impala that was facing me head on. I hit him square in the brisket and the bullet blew up. I would have to look up what my muzzle velocity was, I don't remember right now. It was right after that little incident that I switched to the 250 Speer Grand Slams that I had along with me and had no more problems. I took the 225 gr, AB's along for use on the smaller critters at longer ranges, they shot really well and had a slightly better trajectory then the GS's. My son used one to knock the snot out of a baboon at 334 yards, they worked very well for that.

Yeah, I wouldn't have that would have been a problem. Should've been 2500fps give or take at impact at that range. No bueno.

I've shot a decent amount of North American game with 7mm & .30 cal Accubonds without a single issue or complaint. All bullets I have recovered have been perfect mushroom usually under the hide on the far side. I'm not shooting them out of any hyper velocity rounds, 280 Rem for example.
I will let y'all know how the 300 gr AccuBonds work on PG and Lioness after September. My .375 H&H sure loves them. I've loaded them over RL-15, RL-17, and H4350 from 2250 to 2600 fps and they shoot sub-MOA groups with all the loads I've tried. Best group so far is .585" (3 shot - 100 yards) RL-15 at 2450 fps.
Will also be taking a few 300 gr Hornady DGS for punching small holes in small animals. Point of impact between the two bullets is very close to the same, but the load (powder charge) is very different. Higher pressure and higher velocity with the Accubond with same powder charge.
One word of advice, if you're planning to shoot Accubonds in .338 or .375 (and some others) I would stock up as they become available. I watched bare shelves for 6 months until Nosler got around to running more .375 cal 260's and 300's. This at the same time that Hornady quit making the 300 gr RN that I had originally planned to shoot. I have a few RN's left but not enough to plan on them as a viable long term option. :( I really like that bullet and so does my H&H...

Yes Mrs. Ida, those Hornady 300 gr RN is always working, and most rifles shooting them very well !

Matt,

Your are right, I should've prefaced that particular rant with something like:
"In regards to monometal expanding bullets specifically," or some similar combination of words.

I will do better next time.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Any one used Frontier Spartans or Rhino's on buff ?

Yes Mrs. Ida, those Hornady 300 gr RN is always working, and most rifles shooting them very well !
Yes, Baboon to Buff, maybe one of the best all purpose bullets ever.

Good question - there are lots of great bullets out there that will do the job.

I have used Trophy Bonded Bear Claw 300gr twice with no complaints, one at 40m, one at 100m and both one shot kills.

Your PH should advise you if he thinks your choice is good or not, so check in with him before you decide.

Ado

Because double rifles do not always regulate with monometal bullets.
Because they are very hard compared to lead core bullets and can fail to expand at the old classic Pre-War NE velocities.
Because overly hard bullets are questionable as to whether or not they can separate the muzzles of older doubles.
Because an exit hole is not usually a bad thing but exit holes in three animals from one shot usually is.
Because the only time you ever tried them they were clownishly inaccurate.
Because they copper streaked your .300 H&H bore so badly that you had to embrace a caustic chemical to remove it.
Because in some versions, after seating on a normal to light powder charge they are still too long for some magazines.
Because your chosen PH has asked you politely to not bring them.
Because you believe that blunt shaped projectiles, all else being equal, put animals down faster than pointy ones do.
Because your personal experiences with hollow point bullets in general has convinced you they too often don't expand.
Because when Ruark's 1950's "Always Use Enough Gun" is combined with the over 100 year formula of, high sectional density jacketed lead core blunt bullet, at sensible velocity, fired into the vitals of any animal, it all works very well so, why fix it.

VD I wish you would quit sugar coating and dancing around this issue of monometal bullets all the time and tell us how you really feel....

Ha! Just messing with you, cheers my friend :D Beers: And I appreciate the good discussion!:A Big Hello:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZaneDenova

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg