Father-Son Elk/Mule Deer or Mule Deer/Antelope combo suggestions?

Tony Parisi

AH member
Reaction score
I'm looking around for a combination hunt to do with my son as a high school graduation present for him. Either elk/Mule Deer or Mulie/Pronghorn. This would be two years out, so there's plenty of time. Just returned from an unsuccessful mountain mulie hunt in Alberta (weather too hot, too many damn wolves, lost two days to bad weather, etc). Did see game, but nothing I'd consider a shooter. That's hunting, I accept that. I enjoy the challenge of hunting in the mountains as opposed to a ranch, but want to maximize the boy's chances of success. Plus, dealing with customs (U.S. customs, not the Canadians, they were very pleasant) was a hassle on this trip. I think I'll stay in U.S. next time. Anyone willing to share their experiences? One AH member suggested an outfit in Wyoming called SnS? Anyone have any experience with them? Superficially, looks good. Grey's River, horses, mountains, hiking, good stuff. Anyone of you western hunters, feel free to chime in with your thoughts. Grazie tanto! --Tony

Tough go on Mtn MD up here for sure. Big ones are not simple to come by.

Wish I could suggest a good Outfit down south.

Tony,

I can give a very high recommendation to a Montana outfiiter that I have hunted with about 7 times with in the past 14 years. Randy and Deena Petrich owe and run Rising Son Outfitters (http://huntinginmontana.com/ ) in Livingston, MT. Their ranch is actually about 20 miles south of Livingston, in Pray, MT. Randy only takes 2 hunters per week and personally guides them. They pick you up in Bozeman, if you are flying in and they'll take good care of you. I have taken game on all of my hunts, or I've had shot opportunities and passed on them. I took a 6x7 P&Y elk with a bow in 2007 and have a 6x7 Muley from 2014 to go along with it. A lot of horse riding and some steep hiking at 6 to 9,000 ft, so get in shape. I have another hunt booked with them in 2017 and taking my son-in-law along.

Dave

Tony,

I can give a very high recommendation to a Montana outfiiter that I have hunted with about 7 times with in the past 14 years. Randy and Deena Petrich owe and run Rising Son Outfitters (http://huntinginmontana.com/ ) in Livingston, MT. Their ranch is actually about 20 miles south of Livingston, in Pray, MT. Randy only takes 2 hunters per week and personally guides them. They pick you up in Bozeman, if you are flying in and they'll take good care of you. I have taken game on all of my hunts, or I've had shot opportunities and passed on them. I took a 6x7 P&Y elk with a bow in 2007 and have a 6x7 Muley from 2014 to go along with it. A lot of horse riding and some steep hiking at 6 to 9,000 ft, so get in shape. I have another hunt booked with them in 2017 and taking my son-in-law along.

Dave
Outstanding! Thank you very much!!! Past experience has taught me that nothing beats word of mouth recommendations. It's the best way to cut through the malarkey. The guide I used in Alaska I found that way. A young guy who was working as an IT consultant for us recommended the guide -- both he and his dad hunted with him several times. I'd go back in a minute. My own passion is backpack mountain hunting, but weather is always tricky and success rates tend not to be as good, especially on public land, even when you have to draw a tag. Games densities are lower and sometime you just don't get game. I think a ranch hunt would be the ticket to maximize the boy's chances of success. But your outfitter seems to provide the best of all worlds -- mountains, horses (classic hunting) and apparently lots of game. I'll check it out!

@Tony Parisi, I work with a good outfitter out of Alzada, MT he does a couple combo hunts, WT/MD or MD/pronghorn. His area is near the Wyoming state line and you can hunt both states, depending on what you choose to do. The hunt is based from a nice lodge with hot meals and showers. his prices are reasonable and its a quality operation.
6 day 2 state, 2 deer hunt (MD or Wt) $6500.
5 day 1 deer (MD or WT) and 1 pronghorn $5,250
License and tag are not included.

Don't forget Texas! Our mule deer are under rated here in the Panhandle! We hunt big country, have big deer, cheap license and no tag drawing, all over the counter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FelishaRae

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois