Father, son, 2 guns one case?

Hunt27

Reaction score
flying united to Johannesburg in a few weeks. question is, can my father and I put both are rifles in one case? Can we attach both are names to the gun case when checking in? If so i assume that would be the best way. we both have 4457 in are names for the guns and both have applied for the import permits in are names.

flying united to Johannesburg in a few weeks. question is, can my father and I put both are rifles in one case? Can we attach both are names to the gun case when checking in? If so i assume that would be the best way. we both have 4457 in are names for the guns and both have applied for the import permits in are names.
Welcome to AH :S Welcome:

I recommend that you contact Henry @riflepermits.com. He will be able to answer your questions

If the son is an adult, he has to have his own paperwork and gun case to go into South Africa. If he is a juvenile, the adult must carry his rifle for him, and his paperwork is on the father's paperwork.

don't know about the other African countries.

Just act like both guns are yours or his if using one rifle case.

As I understand it, if the two rifles are in one case, then the paperwork (4457 and SAPS) needs to be in one person’s name. The rifles can’t be the same caliber and you limit yourself to one person’s ammunition restriction (11. Lbs).

Most international flights baggage allowance is two checked bags. So each of you can take a rifle case and a suitcase. Twice as much ammunition too.

My daughter (in her mid twenties) and I are hunting Zambia in a couple months and we are each bringing a rifle in separate cases and two separate Pelican cases with our ammunition.

I've heard it go both ways, so who really knows?

When I went through the SAP's office in Joberg both times they just checked the rifles and paperwork and not the cases. Airlines don't care as along as the rifles are properly stored in a locked case.

I'll second getting in touch with Henry.

This question has been asked several times before on AH. What’s really the advantage of combining into one gun case? Most airlines give two free bags on international flights anyways. Bring separately then there will never be an issue. What happens if an issue occurs and you cannot take same flights? Bags only get put in one person’s name not multiple people.

Just act like both guns are yours or his if using one rifle case.
Problem could arise here if they are stopped by police traveling to different ranches each day if hunting separately. They really need separate permits issued.

Problem could arise here if they are stopped by police traveling to different ranches each day if hunting separately. They really need separate permits issued.
Separate permits yes, but the question is can they use the same case for travel.

I believe that Scott was just saying that act like both rifles are one persons as far as the airlines are concerned.

But there is no reason not to have a travel case for each person. I used the Harbor Freight Apache case the last time and it came through with flying colors. It is a clone off of a Pelican and doesn't cost that much..

Separate permits yes, but the question is can they use the same case for travel.

I believe that Scott was just saying that act like both rifles are one persons as far as the airlines are concerned.

But there is no reason not to have a travel case for each person. I used the Harbor Freight Apache case the last time and it came through with flying colors. It is a clone off of a Pelican and doesn't cost that much..
The airlines don’t care if the rifles inside belong to 1 or multiple persons as long as one person claims it at check in. The issue would happen when picking up or delivering the case to police in South Africa especially if something happened where they didn’t arrive or leave together. Expecting logical reasoning in Africa is a big mistake. I try not to give them the opportunity.

I've just come back from traveling by United Airlines between Australia and the US. The luggage allowance has been reduced to only one checked case whereas it used to be two. I don't know if this is across all routes or all airlines but it would pay to check before committing to any particular plans.

I was thinking that the other problem will be ammo. Depending on the hunt you could go over the 11 lb airline limit.

I'd just get my own rifle case and pack my own ammo

If in doubt buy a second case.

Hopefully a few hundred dollars for a decent case won't hurt to much and might just make it all go smoothly.

Like some said if there is something unforeseen occurs it takes the question of who is in possession of who's rifle out of the equation.

It is far better to put both guns in one name in one case. This also means that person carries All the ammo in his suitcase. Otherwise you must both take separate rifle cases.
Have a great trip!

I've just come back from traveling by United Airlines between Australia and the US. The luggage allowance has been reduced to only one checked case whereas it used to be two. I don't know if this is across all routes or all airlines but it would pay to check before committing to any particular plans.
There can be some confusion here. Most airlines do not have any free baggage anymore but do allow up to 10 bags and overweight bags for a fee. I was just reading Deltas policy because I depart tomorrow and have a slightly over weight bag and am flying economy . Again you can do most anything on Delta for a fee. My 5 pounds I can not shed for the departure will cost me $100 extra.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg