Father and Son rifles

EDELWEISS

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
US, Canada, Middle East(does that count)
Im taking my son on his first Wild Boar hunt. To celebrate many things; but most of all just because hes a great son. I decided to have two custom rifles built for us. I could have done a lot of things, I could have used high end actions; but that just wouldnt have been me. So I decided to start with two M91/30's. Yep Mosin Nagants.

We've all seen the beautiful work done to Mausers between the World Wars and even more after WW2. I cringe at all the G33-40s that were made into sporters; but thats another story. I got this thought in my head, "What if all those gunsmiths had played with 91.30s too. So I picked out a couple nice donors and dropped them off at my local magician. I told him I wanted one done as a full stock; but with a shorter barrel and the other as a half stock. The original plan was to use WW2 period Russian scopes (a PE and a PU); but I got talked out of that. So the full stock now wears a Kahles scope in a side mount. I also wanted to change the bolt handle to a butter knife design.

My magician cut the barrel in front of the sling "swivel" then made a metal nose cap. He fire blued the swivel pieces and we then added Finnish traditional swivels just like they did on captured Russian guns. Since we were doing this right, he swopped the military barrel for a McGowen barrel and used Steyr type front/rear sights. The stock was trimmed down so its super slick.

The half stock twin will be similar, more fraternal than identical twins. Im still debating on a octagon barrel. Im thinking somewhere around 24 inches, with a barrel mounted swivel (not sure if I want a band or just a loop). This one was supposed to have the smaller PU scope, so Im undecided what optic to use.

I was really tempted to change the cartridge to 9.3x54R; but in the end stuck with 762x54R. Now if we can just find a place to hunt Wolf.....

Pics?

Pics!!

These rifles sounds very nice! Very cool idea. Would love to see how they turned out!

Most definately we want to see the progress pics as you bring this one to its modern iteration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SylviaSelf

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!