Famous African Professional Hunters

Judy,
here is the list from Ker+Downey Safaris.
The so called "100 Pounder Club".
28 those elephants in 10 years (57-67) .
Do you remember some clients and have you met all these PH's ?
Regards from Munich
Foxi
full

Last edited:
Hello sadly I'm not from Kenya, but did spend some time there in the 80's. I'll have a look at the photo albums to see if there is anything of interest to post!

Photo's would be great, if you have any you want to share.

Bummer that Kenya had already closed hunting of mammals when you were there. Were you able to do any bird hunting/fishing?

Judy,
Regards from Munich
Foxi
full

Really neat history there Foxi. Thanks.(y)

Judy,
Regards from Munich
Foxi
full

I dig out again this list.
Maybe Judy finds time for us, to tell something about some name above.
Many thanks in advance.
Foxi

IMG_0018b.jpg

New Stanley Hotel

Norfolk_Hotel.jpg

Norfolk Hotel

Attachments

• IMG_0018b.jpg
    IMG_0018b.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 174
  • Norfolk_Hotel.jpg
    Norfolk_Hotel.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 181
I had the immeasurable pleasure of getting to know Fred (aka Fearless Fred) Bartlett and his tireless wife Jock after they retired to northern Namibia in the latter half of the 80’s. They were living on the banks of the Okavango river east of Rundu.
His grandsons, the Kibble boys (Progress Safaris)continued the hunting tradition as PH’s in Namibia.
Fred published a book, Shoot straight and stay alive, one of my prized posessions.
While building their house, they had a caravan/holiday trailer where they kept their provisions. Jock went to get something out of the trailer and saw a big mamba disappearing into the stuff in the trailer.
Fred walked over armed with a 12 guage to sort out the unwelcome visitor.
Carefully opening the door he saw the snake on the ledge on the far wall. Lined up the front bead on the trusty shotgun, he sent a load of buggeroff in the general direction of the mamba’s head.
Bloody thing ducked just as he fired. Shot a fist sized hole in the trailer wall through which the slithering bastard promptly escaped.
Indeed, an honor to have known them.

I am pretty easy to please and amaze as I see many guys here who are famous hunters in my book. Maybe not to everyone in the entire world, but maybe to a whole bunch of us that frequent this chat club.

The days for any of us to ever be able to legally guns down herds of elephants or rhinos, and as of today ya can't bring back home your trophy lion, but is there much more exciting stuff than a fella taking out 10 head of plains game? Or even a guy harvesting a porcupine?

Or how about a fella telling his tale of how he hunted down a leopard and took him out with one shot or hunting for something other than vampires in Romania, or a grand hunt in Spain to get a young fella to day dream or an older guy feel young again? Or a young fella with not lot of money who would love to go hunting in Africa and has built up his single shot cannon looking to make it so he could drop King Kong with it , or a cowboy Texas wanting to take down a Cape with his lever gun, or a doctor from a far away land inviting people there and giving a primer of all the stuff that will bite and kill me.

All of those guys here are famous hunters to me and the reason why so many are members here.

John Sharp on the left, Brian Coleman on the right.

Note the book in Brian's hand...."Facing Down Fear" by John Sharp.

Picture taken at the Big Easy, Columbus, TX January 30, 2020.

IMG_1302.jpg

John Sharp and Brian Coleman again....just after Brian received John's book.

It was amazing to get the chance to have dinner with these two legends. A night I will never forget!

IMG_1299.jpg

It was indeed a special treat to meet Brian Coleman at the Big Easy and to have my special friends Tim & Cody by my side.

SPECIAL is such an accurate description for those two!

:A Outta:

Oh Royal, you just can’t resist! Lol
Truly a wonderful evening at the Big Easy Ranch! Great Scotch, Great food and better company.

Oh Royal, you just can’t resist! Lol
Truly a wonderful evening at the Big Easy Ranch! Great Scotch, Great food and better company.

Never! LOL!

I am a .38 Special and Cody is a .44 Special.

;)

This might be a fun thread to start though. If you were a caliber what would you be and why? :E Big Grin: :E Head Scratch:

Last edited:
Never! LOL!

This might be a fun thread to start though. If you were a caliber what would you be and why? :E Big Grin: :E Head Scratch:

I would be a .358 Winchester.

Does nothing exceptionally well. Does most things passably well. Never achieved its potential.

:ROFLMAO::D:LOL:

I think I’d be a .54 caliber muzzleloader. Old and slow, but I get there eventually, and when I do something is getting thumped!

Ok, now I gotta play.

I guess I'd be the .30/06. You either love me or hate me, with not much in between. :A Smoke:

Ok, now I gotta play.

I guess I'd be the .30/06. You either love me or hate me, with not much in between. :A Smoke:

Oh yeah...no middle ground on you, Buster! :A Stirring:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhakhoa123

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,