Famous African Professional Hunters

Here's a photograph I just shared with Wheels and thought I would also share on this thread. It's a group photo taken after the EAPHA AGM in Nairobi in 1971. I took the minutes! Last year Robin Hurt helped me verify some of the names. Think I'm the only one who kept the photo. Missing from the photo: Syd Downey, Donald Ker, Tony Seth-Smith and David Mead, who were on safari at the time.

Standing (L to R) Bill Ryan, Terry Mathews, John Sutton, Tony Maxtone-Mailer, Bob Reitnauer, Bunny Ray, Brian Coleman, David Ommanney, Rene Babault, Chris Roberts, Patrick Gilbert-Hopkins, Tony France Lee Giraudo, (part hidden)?, Judy Blaeske, Brian Herne, John Alexander, Robin Hurt, Mike Webley, John Lawrence, Mike Keilly, Guy Grant, Kevin Torrens, Freddy Seed, Jens Hessel, Alfredo Pellizoli, ?, Alfie von Ausberg, Steve Smith, Laddy Wincza, ?, Mike Hissey, Ken Clark.
Seated (L to R) Peter De Mello, Chris Lyon, Theo Potgeiter, Tony Dyer, Wali Mohamed, Gideon Kago,
Nicky Blunt, Edgar De Bono, Dave Williams, Glen Cottar Bill Winter, Ray Palfrey.

full

An individual near the middle of the photo sure ads a touch of class to what otherwise would be a motley crew!:)

This is such a special photo. Thanks for sharing it. You are indeed fortunate to have been able to work with such legends in the industry.

In your post #39 of this thread, you mention:
Robin Hurt
Tony Seth-Smith
David Mead
Terry Matthews

Are they the only ones in this photo still alive that you know of?

Danny McCallum's photo is in post #22 of this thread, shown as a member. Evidently he was not at the meeting where this photo was taken. I'm pretty sure he is still with us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! :)

You are correct - not all the members were at that meeting. It was a busy season!
I haven't heard from Brian Herne recently and have been meaning to follow up. He was in California.
Last I heard Tony Dyer and Rose were still on Borana.

When I was digging around for a couple more photos of that dinner/dance under Trophies of Yesteryear I unearthed my copy of the first edition of the International Professional Hunters' Association magazine published in April 1971. There are some amazing stories written by some amazing people. I scanned it to share with you. Know those who read it will enjoy the history. And the picture of the leopard with the article written by Mike Higginson is the one of the leopard I mentioned in an earlier post about Alfredo Pelizzoli. Alfredo gave me a copy of that picture poster size - it's framed and I still treasure it!
And I just realized the pagination of the scanned copy is hinky. You'll have to "track and hunt" - but then y'all do that so well. (y) I'll come up with a better version a bit later.

Attachments

• IPHA Magazine - Issue 1-April 1971.pdf
    5.4 MB · Views: 372
And here's a photo that was taken for a magazine article about that dinner dance where Tony received the Shaw & Hunter trophy. The man talking with me is Mike Higginson - he wrote wrote the article "What Price Game Skins Today" in the IPHA Magazine. Mike was the executive officer of both the EAPHA and IPHA.

SueAllen-Mike Higginson-JudyBlaeske.jpg

This is really neat to read Judy. Some interesting things about the magazine:

p2 Landcruiser advertisement. Looking at the new models that are now 45 years old.

p 3. You are at the Shaw & Hunter Trophy Awards and on page 3 there is an advertisement for Nairobi Bunduki LTD, which replaced Shawn & Hunter. Irony!?!?

Judy, here is an article you might be interested in.

http://www.africahunting.com/threads/shaw-hunter-trophy.5015/

p.3. Advertisement for hunting India.

p.4. Zimmerman's ad. I still have a couple of their taxidermy mounts at my house. Quality work but I'm still mad at them for shipping me a wrong trophy. A photo from in front of Zimmerman's, in downtown Nairobi.

23710022_022.jpg

p29+ The list of IPHA members is impressive. A number of recognizable names from the golden years.

p32. Luangwa Safaris has an ad. Capstick was a PH with them at the time.

p32. 45 years ago Jonas Brothers had been in business 61 years!

p34. The Land Rover body styles. British Leyland - A company that survived 18 years putting out a lousy product, due to the forced generosity of the British taxpayer.

Judy, thanks for sharing a piece of history. There is a lot of interesting history here. I will get to the articles later.

And here's a photo that was taken for a magazine article about that dinner dance where Tony received the Shaw & Hunter trophy. The man talking with me is Mike Higginson - he wrote wrote the article "What Price Game Skins Today" in the IPHA Magazine. Mike was the executive officer of both the EAPHA and IPHA.

View attachment 158774

Thanks for sharing the photo.

When Tanzania closed hunting in I believe 1973, did some of the Tanzania PH's start working out of Kenya? I know some went to Zambia to work.

I am amazed at the window display. Wouldn't it be something to see the likes of that today. Will most likely never see such but in pictures. Thank you for sharing!

Thanks for sharing the photo.

When Tanzania closed hunting in I believe 1973, did some of the Tanzania PH's start working out of Kenya? I know some went to Zambia to work.

Some went to South Africa, Botswana and Namibia, too.

And that's a neat picture of the Zimmerman display window - thank you for sharing! Can understand why you were/are ticked off at them. Rowland Wards was closer - just around the corner from the New Stanley House where the EAPHA offices were - so I was more familiar with them. Major Raw was in charge then. I enjoyed visiting the premises and was sometimes offered the traditional cup of tea. Wonderful traditions!

Judy,

Do you have any photos of places in Nairobi or Kenya that would be historical. ie:

New Stanley Hotel

Norfolk Hotel

Muthaiga Club

Nairobi Club

Nairobi Polo Club

Rowland Ward Taxidermy

Farms/estates of Delamere, Cole Brothers, McMillan, Grogan, Karen Blixen. etc.

Thika Falls / Thompson Falls.

Some of your old photos would be enjoyable if you can find them!

Last edited:
Judy-Wheels
wonderful work your historical memories of the East African hunters.
Thank you
Foxi

View attachment 158774
lot of charming girls in the organisations of Big Game Hunters.
Ach ja,to bad that I was born at the wrong time.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Foxi

Judy,

Do you have any photos of places in Nairobi or Kenya that would be historical. ie:

New Stanley Hotel

Norfolk Hotel

Muthaiga Club

Nairobi Club

Nairobi Polo Club

Rowland Ward Taxidermy

Farms/estates of Delamere, Cole Brothers, McMillan, Grogan, Karen Blixen. etc.

Thika Falls / Thompson Falls.

Some of your old photos would be enjoyable if you can find them!

I'll dig through the albums to see. Living there I just sort of took so much for granted and didn't take too many photos, although I visited most of them. Lots of personal photos, but nothing historical - except to me :) . But I'll definitely dig to see what I can find!

Amazing photos.............amazing to see all the "greats" from the classic period of african hunting

An individual near the middle of the photo sure ads a touch of class to what otherwise would be a motley crew!:)

This is such a special photo. Thanks for sharing it. You are indeed fortunate to have been able to work with such legends in the industry.

In your post #39 of this thread, you mention:
Robin Hurt
Tony Seth-Smith
David Mead
Terry Matthews

Are they the only ones in this photo still alive that you know of?

Danny McCallum's photo is in post #22 of this thread, shown as a member. Evidently he was not at the meeting where this photo was taken. I'm pretty sure he is still with us.

Hello I'm trying to research my uncle Chris Lyon and see he is one of the people in your photograph. Sadly he died around 20 years ago and I'm only starting to look into his hunting career. Would anyone know where I could find any information on membership or score records as I have a cheetah skull that Chris shot and remember being told it was a record size for a cheetah, so he may also me mentioned somewhere else for me to look.
I have attached a photo of Chris Lyon to confirm he is one of the people in your photo, would love if you could email me the original.
Kind regards, Lawrence

full

Rowland Ward record books may be a resource for you.

Lawrence, I'd be happy to email you the group photograph. I did know your uncle - he popped into the EAPHA offices from time to time when between safaris. I have a collection of books written by some of the professional hunters I knew back then and I'll have a look through them to see if I can find any articles or stories in which he was mentioned. Sorry to hear he passed so long ago.

Lawrence, I'd be happy to email you the group photograph. I did know your uncle - he popped into the EAPHA offices from time to time when between safaris. I have a collection of books written by some of the professional hunters I knew back then and I'll have a look through them to see if I can find any articles or stories in which he was mentioned. Sorry to hear he passed so long ago.
That would be amazing, thank you so much. Would really like to know more about Chris as the little I did know about him, he was a great guy.

Hello I'm trying to research my uncle Chris Lyon and see he is one of the people in your photograph. Sadly he died around 20 years ago and I'm only starting to look into his hunting career. Would anyone know where I could find any information on membership or score records as I have a cheetah skull that Chris shot and remember being told it was a record size for a cheetah, so he may also me mentioned somewhere else for me to look.
I have attached a photo of Chris Lyon to confirm he is one of the people in your photo, would love if you could email me the original.
Kind regards, Lawrence

full

Lawrence, welcome to AH. Judy is probably the best resource here that can help you. Glad she already chimed in.

If you know stories or have photos, please feel free to share them.

Are you from Kenya?

Lawrence, welcome to AH. Judy is probably the best resource here that can help you. Glad she already chimed in.

If you know stories or have photos, please feel free to share them.

Are you from Kenya?
Hello sadly I'm not from Kenya, but did spend some time there in the 80's. I'll have a look at the photo albums to see if there is anything of interest to post!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaja

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,