Family Safari Questions...

I hunted the Eastern Cape in 2016, my wife came along. You can hunt multiple booms in the Eastern Cape, from the coastal zone to the flats of the Karoo and then up into the mountains. All the game you are looking for can be found there. After the hunt we took a 10 days to tour the area, Adoo elephant park is a great place to tour, the Garden route and wineries, stayed in Jeffreys Bay on the ocean for a 5 days, friendly place. Did some deep-sea fishing. Overall a great hunt and holiday. I do have a hunt report on here somewhere. Good luck.

So much information here already. I’m finding it very interesting that so many have suggested the eastern cape. This is a wonderful start for me to begin my research. What is it about the eastern cape that makes you all think it would be a good fit?
I’m definitely not opposed to hunting. Another country in Africa as long as it would provide the experience I’m looking for. In fact I would possibly entertain the idea of spending 5-7 days at a few different locations or countries.
The Eastern Cape is a great place to hunt and parks to visit nearby.
You have to find a budget for $ and time as well Africa is a big place!
Namibia is also a great place to take a family. You can hunt a week with great people and then visit the coast or Etosa or Sossusvlei. Hunted in Namibia many times but the last trip we took time to jump in a charter plane and go to Sossusvlei. What an experience! Search for it and you will see what I am talking about.

Philip

Hello Backcountryj.laf,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Welcome to the forum.
Sincerely
Hans de Klerk

Family Safari

Good morning from Canada.

I’m looking to plan my first safari in July or august of 2022. I would like to bring my young family with me and I have a lot of questions. Perhaps I’m searching for a ghost but this seems to be the place to help me find it. I’ve been doing some research and finding that for every answer I have more questions. Here are a few of the most important questions I have right now.

1). What regions of South Africa would provide for exceptional hunting opportunities but also provide the opportunity for family adventures; beaches, parks, fishing, ect. Safety is paramount.

2). I understand that South Africa has a lot of introduced species and I would like to take some of those but I want to actually hunt for them not shoot them from a truck. I want as authentic an experience as I possibly can, knowing full well that there will be high fenced and introduced animals. I am used to hunting the mountains of Alberta. What regions of Africa should I be looking at to provide a great hunting experience?

3). The animals currently on my list are in order of importance; gemsbok, sable (I understand this may feel artificial anywhere in South Africa, kudu, springbuck, zebra, impala, warthog. What would be the best way to negotiate prices? Should I look to hunt different species in different areas? Should I plan on modifying my list to provide a better hunting experience.

thank you for your time and responses.
Hi Backcountryj.laf,

Welcome to AH. You will be able to find all your answers here and more!

We have a area in the Waterberg mountains in the Limpopo Province of South Africa. Its a short 2.5 hours from JHB airport and after a long flight with your family the last thing you want is long drive.
This concession is one of the most beautiful pieces of Africa that we have had to hunt on. Once you have been on safari here it becomes difficult to want to go anywhere else. The hunting area expands over 8000 acres of un spoilt natural bushveld. Situated on the end of the Waterburg biosphere it has valleys and small mountains (kopjes) which make the hunting even more exciting. With its 16-bedroom lodge and beautiful waterhole, this is the ultimate in luxury safaris. Be assured of safety, security and luxury combined with top class trophies., you will be absolutely guaranteed a great safari.
Family and side attractions include. Hot air balloon rides, Elephant back safaris and interactions, Cheetah rehabilitation center to name a few.

Let me know if you would like ore information and references please let me know

Regards

Dave
tilodi (1).jpg

tilodi (2).jpg

tilodi (3).jpg
tilodi (4).jpg
tilodi (5).jpg
tilodi (4).jpg
tilodi (6).jpg
tilodi (7).jpg
tilodi (8).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Limpopo and or Mpumalanga will give you equally as breathtaking views and experiences, also you will be hunting in brush country as opposed to long distance and open country, always exciting for stalks . The Kruger park is right there , the original big 5 national park. Email me if you’d like me to send some more information please
Info@spearsafaris.com
Cheers
Ernest

Family Safari

I’m looking to plan my first safari in July or august of 2022. I would like to bring my young family with me and I have a lot of questions. Perhaps I’m searching for a ghost but this seems to be the place to help me find it. I’ve been doing some research and finding that for every answer I have more questions. Here are a few of the most important questions I have right now.

1). What regions of South Africa would provide for exceptional hunting opportunities but also provide the opportunity for family adventures; beaches, parks, fishing, ect. Safety is paramount.

2). I understand that South Africa has a lot of introduced species and I would like to take some of those but I want to actually hunt for them not shoot them from a truck. I want as authentic an experience as I possibly can, knowing full well that there will be high fenced and introduced animals. I am used to hunting the mountains of Alberta. What regions of Africa should I be looking at to provide a great hunting experience?

3). The animals currently on my list are in order of importance; gemsbok, sable (I understand this may feel artificial anywhere in South Africa, kudu, springbuck, zebra, impala, warthog. What would be the best way to negotiate prices? Should I look to hunt different species in different areas? Should I plan on modifying my list to provide a better hunting experience.

thank you for your time and responses.
@Backcountryj.laf
If you want all those species Namibia would be the place . The property I hunted had just paid 15,000 U.S. for a new sable buck to help his aging male buck.
Prices are usually fixed for trophy hunts but may be negotiated f or a cull hunt.
Kohmas hunting safaris may be able to help you.
Bob.

I think 80% of outfitters in South Africa or Namibia could easily put together a quality family safari for you. My vote for South Africa though would go to eastern cape. I hunted there in March 2020. Scenery and areas were beautiful, the coastal property we hunted had miles of coastline and he organizes shark fishing right on the beach on the property now. Eastern cape value for the experience and cost I think is unbeatable also. You asked about South Africa, but have you considered Namibia? Much less people and larger properties and also much better hunting for gemsbok there. Shark fishing can easily be organized there as well or a visit to etosha national park. Both countries will be equally safe with a quality outfitter, but I feel safer in Namibia. For negotiating costs, simply send an outfitter your goals, days, animals and they will send you a custom package quote. An important thing you should ask outfitters is how many other guests will be hunting at same time and decide what is and isn’t acceptable to you for what you want.
@375Fox
My family absolutely loved Etosha. The range of animals is great and being able to sit by the lot waterhole at night and experience the number and variety of wildlife is an experience we will never forget
Bob

Welcome to AH!

Family Safari

I highly recommend contacting Limcroma Safaris. We did a family hunting safari/vacation with them and they put together an all inclusive package for us that was perfect for what we wanted to do and see while in Africa. Everything was exactly as advertised and the entire trip went smoothly. I cannot imagine it working out better. Feel free to message me if you have questions about my trip with them.

Welcome! Plenty of sponsors, here on AH, that can give you exactly what you are looking for.

BTW, very nice moose in your avatar, you need to tell us about that. Especially since I am headed to BC for a moose, later this year. God willing and if the COVID don't rise.

Welcome! Plenty of sponsors, here on AH, that can give you exactly what you are looking for.

BTW, very nice moose in your avatar, you need to tell us about that. Especially since I am headed to BC for a moose, later this year. God willing and if the COVID don't rise.

That moose was a long time in the waiting. My property is infested with moose but rarely large ones. I waited a long time to draw a mountain tag, there are only 5 tags in the zone, in an attempt to take a true trophy. Covid tried its best to ruin my hunt but we managed to track dow a very nice bull. He measured just over 50 inches the day I killed him and is just under 48 inches now that he’s dried. Maybe I’ll share the details in another post. Moose are magnificent animals.

Good Day Backcountryj

Welcome to AH.This is the right place to start and with planning.Lots of great advice.

I would like to invite you to have a look at Tsala Safaris.

We are in the Limpopo province with beautiful varied terrain and a big selection of different animals especially the ones you mentioned on 10 000 acres.We love having families in camp with us and sharing our passion for wildlife and country.

We can also assist and accompanying you in various other activities including trips to the Kruger National park and/or Cape Town and surrounds.

You are most welcome to contact me.

Regards

Rouan

Welcome to AH! Glad you found us and joined our community. Enjoy the site and have fun planning!

Welcome to AH! Nice to have you on the site and we look forward to you sharing your stories!

I cannot wait to take my family to Africa. I think you have an amazing trip ahead of you.

My only advice is on your animal list. I would talk to your PH/Outfitter and see what your area is known for (good Kudu, Bushbuck, not so good for others??)
On my first trip I was dead set on a Kudu and Gemsbok. I was in the Limpopo which is great for Kudu and Gemsbok are introduced and there were lots but there are other places better for Gemsbok. Where I was also had spectacular Bushbuck which I had never considered. After I saw a few I want one really bad. I took a great Kudu and a so-so Gemsbok and had a great hunt. But now I really want one of those beautiful little Bushbuck. My second trip was to the Northern Cape which is great for Gemsbok and I got a stud. It is very marginal for Kudu and I didn't hunt one there. But no Bushbuck. Now I am going to Namibia where there are still no Bushbuck- at least where I am going.
You will see animals you didn't know you wanted until you see them in the bush, don't pass an opportunity you may not get again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg