Fall foliage, bugling elk, and hungry trout....

firehuntfish

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI NRA QDMA NWTF TU DU
Hunted
Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, South Africa, USA, South, Central America & New Zealand
What a magical time to be in Western Montana! Although I have been fly fishing for many years in Montana, this was our first trip in the Fall. The mission was to hunt for the elusive "gravel gargoyle" or "riffle dragon" which are local references for a brown trout in excess of 24"..... We came close, and landed several very respectable browns on this short trip, but none in excess of that 24" mark. Regardless, fishing was good to excellent during our 5 days. Big trout were eating everything from streamers and big hoppers, to tiny #22 dries.....The elk were screaming in the river bottoms, and the Fall colors were starting to pop. The higher elevations had already received their first dusting of snow while we were there. For anyone who hasn't experienced Montana fly fishing in the Fall, I highly encourage you to do so....! Here are a few memories from the trip.

Montana Sept 2018 005.JPG

Montana Sept 2018 017.JPG

Montana Sept 2018 004.JPG

Montana Sept 2018 012.JPG

Montana Sept 2018 008.JPG

Montana Sept 2018 029.JPG

Montana Sept 2018 025.JPG

Montana Sept 2018 028.JPG

Montana Sept 2018 032.JPG

Montana Sept 2018 037.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a great place to fish! Congrats

Looks and sounds like heaven! We just don’t get trout streams like that her in SA - very jealous...

Looks like a big time in Big Sky Country.

Beautiful country and some exceptional trout!

The last time I saw trout like that was in a Cabela's store. I can't remember if they were swimming or mounted.:D:D

That’s awesome..... looks like the Yellowstone

Very nice. The fish are beautiful. The browns are getting ready to spawn so they get colored up. Its a great place to go fish. Some very nice pics. Thanks for sharing.
Bruce

Congratulations. Looks like a great time. Just returned to Florida from NW Montana. Caught these lakers on Flathead Lake with my wife, brother and sister-in-law. Scenery was awesome and Glacier National Park was special.

upload_2018-10-3_18-14-15.jpeg

Driving out of Swan Lake Valley and a bit south of Seeley Lake we got to see this black bear near the highway.

upload_2018-10-3_18-17-5.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s awesome..... looks like the Yellowstone

Close.... Most of this trip was on the Bitterroot River Between Hamilton and Darby. We did do one day on the upper Clark Fork near Drummond.

All I can say is #HOMESICK!
My favorite time to fish at home was fall! Can’t count how many times I pretended my rod was a rifle pointing at a bull along the creek. Awesome memories! Then there is Houston! All I point is a finger at these no driving SOB’s! Lol

October in Montana is a beautiful thing.

As long as it doesn't snow. LOL.

Nice trip!

Beautiful scenery, darn jealous! Thanks for sharing!

Wow, what a beautiful place. Congrats on a successful fishing trip. (y)(y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg