Factory ammo in .375..

DOC-404

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hey Guys,
Any recommendations on factory ammo for larger plains game and also for DG excluding elephant?

I will agree with Louis to a point. I like the barnes load...but I've never been able to get Swifts to shoot to my liking, they are good bullets but I like the Noslers better--hard to beat a good partition

Graf & Sons - FED AMMO 375 H&H 300g NSL PART. NIK.(C/S) 20/b 10/c

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=518733

The one above is a very good lower cost load that I would trust on anything (plains game)--up through giraffe--.. other than maybe someting like buffalo

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=766332

THis is one ass kicking load if your rifle will shoot it!!! It does not get any better than this one!!! Make sure your 375 will shoot the 350--some like them some dont!

Ditto with 505ED,

In most of my rifles the factory loaded partition always seem to group alot better than the A-frame, plus I personally think it's a better bullet in itself. All I shoot is factory ammo, so, I have tried alot of different brands. Scott

DOC,

I have only pushed some blue box Federals in my .375 that I bought late last summer, all other rounds have been handloaded. But I think I'm kind of in the same position as you in that I'm looking for a one bullet solution for larger plains game and for Buffalo.

I have been experimenting with North Fork softs, Swift A-Frames and Barnes TSX's in 300 grains. As to accuracy, I have not found a combination on the NF's (which I don't believe are available anyway in factory ammo) or A-Frames that is to my liking. At one hundred yards, I'm talking about a two inch spread. Now if the quarry is ONLY buffalo where shots are generall inside this from what I read, that is plenty fine and your are inside the "one minute of beast" phrase I occasionally see.

The TSX loads that I've shot so far are the most accurate and I've kind of just begun with these. But the group I got on Sunday was about a 1.25" group at 100 yards and I think this can be improved. The only concern I have about this round is for PG and the distance that one should shoot them. The TSX's need a fair amount of velocity to get that pretty X shape and so I'm a little leery of sending them out beyond 200 yards.

Now having said that, I will definitely be working a 300gr Nosler Partition. The gold old NP being soft up front will expand well at slower speeds however I have read reports in other places casting some doubt on the effectiveness on Buffalo. While the partitions aren't the most accurate bullet out there I have collected the diminutive Coues deer at 260 yards and elk at 280 yards with it. The 160gr 7mm version also dropped a Shiras moose at 175 yards with one shot, and the animal went all of about 10-15 feet after the shot.

I hope this doesn't muddy the waters more than clears them for you. I would like to hear what others think of the 300gr Partition for use on Buff.

I have only used Federal 300 gr Trophy bonded bearclaws. They have accounted for two buffalo in my rifle, and another in my buddy's 375 H&H. They have also done very well on assorted plainsgame. I haven't tried anything else as i have been happy with these. The second two buffalos also had follow up shots with Federal sledgehammer solids, they also worked just fine.

We have been using/supplying Federal Premium factories, loaded with the Barnes T.S.X's for several years in our loan rifles for use on Asiatic buffalo with outstanding results.
Unfortunately the prohibitive cost (+ - $200 pre box) down here in aus has forced me to seek an alternative.
Apart from the cost, I have nothing but praise for the performance of these loads.

Nosler 300 gr. partitions were my goto load for getting up cloase and personal with bears in Alaska. Can't say about how they will work in Africa yet but I can say they saved my tail up north more than once. I mostly used handloads at about 2500 fps, however, there are
plenty of both factory and specailty ammo companies out there to pick from: Federal, Hornady, Speer, Remington, Winchester, Nosler
all now load or have loaded in the past some excellent 375 ammo, ( I have a stash of 300 gr. failsafe's put back). There are also several good specialty ammo companies with loads that will work : Double Tap, Longhunter Custom Ammo, etc. I have used some 235 grn. Triple Shocks from Double Tap that were very accurate in my 375 Encore, (they were also loaded to the max.) Used some 260 gr.
Accubonds from Longhunter- also very accurate with very managable recoil. I really like the 260 gr. Accubond for all around use on
on game in North America. i don't see any reason it wouldn't work well in Africa on non dangerous game. The Accubond load from
Longhunter gave me some of my best groups in my old Interarms Mark X.

The 300 gr Nosler Partitions shoot very well and perform as they should in Africa or anywhere else. I used them in Botswana and Zim with no complaints, and usually had full penetration.

I've been hand-loading for about ten years now,and I'm one of those guys who likes to have a bullet go EXACTLY where I send it. I'm getting clover leaf accuracy at 100 with 250gr Sierra Game King's at around 2650 fps. Strangely,though,this does not seem to be a very popular bullet,but I have never (touch wood) needed a second shot on any plains game,including Eland. Although I have yet to try it,I'm thinking that this could even be good cat ammo?

As far as factory ammo goes,this CZ of mine is most accurate with a locally made PMP 286gr Solid.I have not used this ammo for hunting yet and would like to hear from any hunter that has.

Thanks all,
Doc.

I'm not surprised at all you are having good results with the Sierra Game Kings. They really really are a excellent bullet. They just don't get the marketing that Barnes, Nosler and others get. And I think they would be fine with the cats...hopefully they don't damage the pelt too much.

I've never had a problem (neither had my PH) with the Hornady Dangerous Game Series loaded with DGX expanding bullets. For buffalo, you could take some loaded with DGS (solids) for follow-up shots, if you didn't get good shot placement on the first shot with the DGX. (mine seem to shoot to the same POI at 100 yards)

For larger African game the Swift A Frames have worked well for me. No failures and excellent performance, even on buff in my 404J.

I have Nosler PTs (206 and 300 gr.) and Norma Onyx (300 gr.) that I am trying out in my .375 H&H. I think the Onyx is very promising and have always been very satified with Nosler PTs in any rilfe I have used them in. Killed a number of bull elk with the PTs with no failures and quick kills.

We've used the Remington Premier A-Frame .375 H&H Mag. 300 Grain Swift A-Frame PSP Centerfire Ammo and have been very happy with it on a good sized black bear and an almost 9' (squared) brown bear. Great penetration, expansion and weight retention.

I used Barnes Vortex with 300 grs TXS. I shot everything on my last safari from Warthog, Lioness and a Buffalo cow. My rifle loved that ammo, and the ammo performed as advertised, all animals recovered and not a single bullet was recovered.

I've taken everything from duiker to elephant with Barnes TSX with great success, not that I would ever shoot another elephant with Barnes TSX, but I did, and the bullet performed wonderfully well. This past September I took a cape buffalo and an eland with Hornady DGX, that worked well too.

I’ve run Federal Premium 250 and 300gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claws and Federal’s loading of 300gr Swift A-Frames

Barnes TSX, Swift A-Frame, Norma Oryx and Federal TBBC...all in 300 grain will sort you out. Find which one shoots best in your rifle and stick with it.

When it comes time for Elephant, use a solid that shoots to the same POI as the soft.

I’m a huge fan of Federal’s 300Gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. An all rounder for everything Africa throws at you (barring elephants, of course).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BarrettAlfred

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross