Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life member, SCI, DSC
Hunted
Zimbabwe, USA
You guys have probably discussed this previously but I am about to buy my first double rifle to use on my next buffalo hunt. Please help me decide whether to buy one with extractors or ejectors.
They still make new rifles either way so one is obviously not vastly superior to the other or else no one would buy the inferior design. What is your opinion on the topic? Thanks for your time.

My personal choice would be ejectors for a double rifle to clear the chambers quickly for a reload if necessary. On shotguns, I prefer extractor only because I don't like to chase empties and bird hunting and clay shooting seldom require a quick reload.

As the client rather than the PH, I personally prefer extractors. They allow a very quiet reload of the first barrel if that buff or tusker has hit the brush before the second shot. If I were the PH and trying to stop inbound mayhem, then I would want ejectors to quickly clear the chambers. However, either answer is correct. This is very much a subjective judgement.

EJECTORS....when I buy my double it will be with ejectors... I want the quick reload availability for any emergency situation!!

Is it possible with a DR that has ejectors to break the action open and "catch" the empties preventing them from clanging around on the ground? Or is the main source of noise the ejectors themselves?

The main source is the ejectors themselves. The brass sometimes likes to "ring", but really it's the ejectors. My opinion.

Personally I like extractors, but I think a strong argument could be made for either. I wouldn't decide solely based on extractors/ejectors.

The main source is the ejectors themselves. The brass sometimes likes to "ring", but really it's the ejectors. My opinion.
Correct. Issue is not the landing - it's the launch. Remarkably loud in the stillness after a shot. If you have an OU or SXS shotgun give it a try - particularly away from a bird hunt or clays shoot.

Correct. Issue is not the landing - it's the launch. Remarkably loud in the stillness after a shot. If you have an OU or SXS shotgun give it a try - particularly away from a bird hunt or clays shoot.

Seems like an opportunity for improvement. I would presume the source of the noise is when the extractors hit a backstop. I could see putting a bit of hard rubber on the backstop to quiet this would work, but that may introduce more problems than it solves.

They both have advantages and disadvantages.Ejectors are a somewhat complicated mechanisms that are fine when working correctly but not so good when out of tune.Extractors are simple and a practiced rifleman can tip the barrels up and reload very quickly not to mention the quietness of extractors.
Quietness and reliability under duress make extractors my choice.

They both have advantages and disadvantages.Ejectors are a somewhat complicated mechanisms that are fine when working correctly but not so good when out of tune.Extractors are simple and a practiced rifleman can tip the barrels up and reload very quickly not to mention the quietness of extractors.
Quietness and reliability under duress make extractors my choice.

Excellent points.

Regarding complication, the Southgate ejector (and its kind) is pretty straightforward and works on the over-center principle, the tumblers forced over center due to their working relationship with the forward end of the cocking levers (or rods, as when interfaced with the Purdey/Beesley lock).

The other main kind of ejector, however, the Anson & Deeley has a bit more to it (it being, in some respects, its own bit of lock work).

The Boss ejector is fairly basic and different enough from the others to be considered another class altogether (it also uses coil springs...quite rare in traditional English double gun design), but its not all that common.

There's others, of course, but most are an iteration of one of the above or are so rare (experimental) as to not be worthy of mention.

Southgate ejector mechanism:

image.jpeg

Southgate interface with sidelock and boxlock actions (in the upper image it's nearing the over center position and is about to kick the empties free):

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Practice with extractors until you become very confident.
I understand extractors to be quieter and somewhat more reliable.
Not speaking from any experience, just my uncommon sense.

I prefer ejectors.

-matt

I definitely would prefer ejectors but, the only buffalo I have taken so far was by means of an extractor double that I used to own.
That buffalo dropped to the shot once each from each respective barrel (one soft and one solid).

He did not get up after receiving the 2nd bullet.
So, no fancy reload was needed.
However, I like the speed of ejectors, especially for any future DG I might be fortunate enough to hunt some day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorginaAr

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!