Extra insurance for firearms

Discussion in 'Before & After the Hunt' started by Rider717, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Rider717

Rider717 AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, SCI, RMEF, DSC, IGFA
    Hunted:
    South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Wyoming, and South Africa
    Has anyone purchased extra insurance? I have quite an expensive setup in my Blaser and the airline will only cover up to $5000. I have Global Rescue Travel insurance but it doesn't seem to cover more than $2500 for luggage. Anybody ever have an issue while travelling with expensive firearms?

2. JimP

JimP AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, RMEF
    Hunted:
    US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
    If you feel you need some extra then get it and make sure that it specifies the firearm and equipment that is attached to it.

I was covered under my homeowners policy so I didn't worry about it. I also believe that the airline claimed that they were only responsible for $500 on a firearm but that was a couple of years ago.

3. Rider717

Rider717 AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Thanks. I hadn't thought to check my homeowners policy. I should have mentioned that I was wondering about extra insurance while traveling/flying with my rifle.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019

4. sierraone

sierraone AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
    @Rider717, About a year or so ago @Hank2211 was returning from an African hunt and had a very expensive rifle receive extensive damage. You might contact him and see what insurance he was carrying and how much they reimbursed him. I carry complete insurance on my rifles for home and travel purposes but don't own any in the price category you are referring to. Good luck.

5. Hank2211

Hank2211 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
    Hunted:
    Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
    I don't carry specific insurance for my firearms. The one which was damaged needed a new stock - my homeowners policy would have covered it if thad been lost, but apparently not for this type of damage. The airline paid me the maximum payable under some convention, which came to about C$ 2,500. That did not cover the cost of the repair.

I am fortunate that I can carry the cost of repair. If I could not, I would likely have looked into insurance. As it is, I tend to "self insure".

6. Rider717

Rider717 AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Thanks Hank,

The airline will only pay up to $5000 for an additional $50. I am more worried if the case disappears entirely or gets completely destroyed somehow. It took me years to save up to get this rifle and it would be financially difficult to replace it on my own. I have a rider on my homeowners insurance for it and will check with them to see if they cover while traveling. I have 2 barrels, the receiver and bolt housing plus 2 very expensive scopes in the case. It adds up to a lot quite fast!