Extinct animals you wish you could hunt

@Jfet come on you know chickens are living dinosaurs so of course trex tasted like chicken....... Me I think chicken tastes like the last trex I had a drum stick of.....but that's cos me and @Velo Dog are neanderthals :D Beers:.......and please no smart arses bring up the possibility that trex was around a couple of years before us .....:A Banana::D Beers:

Sitting high up on a ledge with a .50 BMG, overlooking a valley with a goat tied off to a stake in the middle of it sounds like a slightly safer proposition to me. Though, the follow up required for a poorly placed shot would be pretty horrific.
Until you get picked off by a Pterodactyl

Brontosaurus. Mount him with his head sticking up above the roof. Scare the hell out of the neighborhood.

I'd love to go to California 20kya. It's pretty much the bastard child of Africa and Yellowstone

Earth today has a lot of unique and wonderful wildlife. Elephants and lions make impressive trophies, many invertebrates are fascinating, and many fish to catch. However, 99.9% of species that have ever lived are extinct. Among them were many species that would make great, challenging hunts and impressive trophies. We all know about dinosaurs and mammoths, but many species also existed that are far more obscure. I think that many people here would love to hunt some of these animals. For now, here is a list of six:

1. Entelodonts, aka "hell pigs" or "terminator pigs", were a family of large, omnivorous mammals more closely related to hippos and whales than pigs. The largest species, Daedon shoshonensis, was 1.8 meters tall at the shoulder and had a skull up to 90 centimeters long. The following link contains a size comparison of Daedon to a human as well as a skeletal drawing: View attachment 52900

2. Inostrancevia was basically what you would get if you crossed a T. rex with a saber-toothed cat. Up to 11 feet long, this mammal-like reptile had a vaguely T. rex-like face, with the canines and body of a saber-toothed cat and limbs of a crocodile. A size comparison can be found here: View attachment 52901

3. Kelenken. A flightless bird as tall as a man, with a beak measuring 18 inches long, this bird was the largest member of a whole family of carnivorous flightless birds known as the terror birds. Living with the terror birds were a whole ecosystem of weird and wonderful creatures, including "marsupial sabertooths" and "marsupial bears", as well as land-living crocodiles, giant ground sloths, giant armadillos and the ancestors of Macrauchenia, a long-legged horse-like creature with an elephant's trunk. Truly a hunter's paradise.

4. The entire Pleistocene megafauna assemblage of Australia. Australia might not be known for impressive megafauna today, but 60,000 years ago, Australia had a strange biodiversity to rival that of Cenozoic South America mentioned above. Of mammals, notable ones included 4 which resembled a giant wombat, Palorchestes, which resembled a cross between a tapir and a ground sloth, 10-foot tall kangaroos, and the marsupial lion Thylacoleo, which was eerily similar to the fictitious drop bear. The much more recently extinct Tasmanian tiger was also found on the mainland at the time. As for birds, they included the Genyornis, a flightless duck as tall as a man whom the diet of which is hotly debated, some have suggested they were herbivores but others say that they were carnivorous scavengers like hyenas. The reptiles included the giant goanna megalania, which may have been up to 20 feet long, the giant snake Wonambi, and the land crocodile Quinkana, which was 20 feet long and had thick, serrated teeth like a T. rex. Also of note was Pallimnarchus, a relative of Quinkana which lived in the water. Finally, it has been speculated by some that stegodons, an extinct relative of elephants, reached Australia, but so far there has been no fossil evidence.

5. All of Pleistocene North America. If the megafauna had survived to this day, America would likely be a more popular place to hunt than Africa. The fauna included giant ground sloths, the familiar mammoths and mastodons, the saber-toothed cat, the giant short-faced bears, stag-moose, giant beavers, camels, American "cheetahs" (more closely related to puma), giant condors and the saber-toothed salmon.

6. The Eurasian megafauna. During the ice age, Eurasia was populated by the woolly and steppe mammoths, straight-tusked elephants, cave lions, bears and hyenas, the Irish elk, the woolly rhinoceros and the Elasmotherium.

And halfway through, this list turns from individual species to entire ecosystems. In hindsight, I should have made this a topic about extinct environments you wish you could hunt in. I hope you enjoyed this list. Certainly fires up the imagination about prehistoric safaris (that aren't about dinosaurs).
Being familiar with all the beasts you refer to (not on a personal basis)
1. 400gr Swift A-Frame
2. 400gr Woodleigh hydrostatic
3. 400gr Woodleigh Weldcore
4. 400gr Swift Breakaway
5. 450gr Woodleigh Weldcore
6. All of the above and a 25 pounder
If you want to see what an Australian Diprotodon looked like, then the Wellington Caves NSW is where you can see an example and also where it was found underground. For a marvelous closeup look & touch of ancient Devonian fishes, then Canowindra also in NSW is the place to go. I've spent some time at both.
A couple or more years ago I was invited to visit the farm up at Muttaburra north of Longreach where the herbivore dinosaur Muttaburrasaurus was uncovered. My boss at the time had a brother with an adjoining farm. Got as far as Longreach but unfortunately got a violent tummy bug and had to cancel the trip out to the farm. Now that would have been something to see, the actual excavation site.

Last edited:
Would make an interesting hog hunt, to say the least !
Screenshot_20210405-050847_Google.jpg

My top three would be Woolly mammoth, Saber tooth cat, and Irish elk. The first two because they lived where I do, and I've always been fascinated by their huge teeth and general impressiveness, and the Irish elk because I'm a hunter of our Canadian moose and that Irish Elk is the ultimate "moose"-like creature that ever lived.

It would also be interesting to know what caliber it would take to put down a big hairy animal. I wonder if that hair gets matted and frozen like armor ? Could be very challenging indeed !

Make mine the Short Faced Bear. Ever since I saw a fossil of one of those mothers years ago I've been wishing I could hunt one. They were big , fast and could crunch bone with ease. They would have made for one hell of a predator hunt.
Those suckers were seriously massive. They put our modern critters to shame and brown bears are already intimidating. I would second this choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88vipsite

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg