Experiences with Matrix Gunsmithing

Louis Toadvine

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
As many/most of you know, AHR no longer offers the upgrade packages for CZ rifles and instead recommends the services of Matrix Gunsmithing in Colorado. I have an inquiry out to Matrix about an upgrade project on my CZ 550 but wanted to source any thoughts, experiences, etc. from the AH community.

I would appreciate reading any experiences with the company, but had a few specific questions I hope someone might answer:

-Is the work comparable to what AHR provided for many years? It looks like they do essentially the same upgrades across four different packages, but I was curious if the work product and quality compares to what AHR provided. Given AHR endorses Matrix, I assume so, but I did want to crowdsource.

-Anyone have them restock a rifle? How is the craftsmanship and the quality of the wood blanks used? It looks like Matrix offers a AAA English walnut replacement as part of upgrades #3 and #4. If I go through the effort of restocking the rifle, I think I'd prefer to aim for at least a grade 5 stock with good figure and an oil finish, but am curious to see if people on here have chosen that upgrade with Matrix (pictures please if available!).

-Timing: Sounds like they have quite a backlog and are a pretty lean team. What kind of lead time did you experience? Was it shorter/longer than what was quoted?

Thanks in advance!

I was put on the list for a #2 upgrade for a 458 Lott. That was in October 2021 and I’m still waiting for them to let me know I’m up and to send the rifle in to get started.

I was put on the list for a #2 upgrade for a 458 Lott. That was in October 2021 and I’m still waiting for them to let me know I’m up and to send the rifle in to get started.

I was put on the wait list to have a #2 upgrade to a CZ550 9.3x62 over a year ago. Still waiting .......

Oof. That's a heck of a wait. I never had work done by AHR--was the lead time similar (year+)? I know smiths have been slammed the last few years, but that's a long time.

I'm thinking I'd be better off working with a local smith who I like a lot or selling the
CZ and buying a new rifle that doesn't need work.

I have two CZ' s with AHR #2 and one Matrix #2. Really can't tell the difference. I know they are slammed with work. I have a Marlin 336 refurb in the works and a 400 Whelen in for a safety once over. Communication may take a day or two but they do respond to me. Tim is a gentleman to deal with. When I visit we BS for a long while. I feel bad knowing the work load, but he takes the time. The integral barrels look awesome, I need one, or two! John

Bumping this to hopefully get some more feedback.

@Backyardsniper I'm tagging you as I found your thread about the Lott with upgrades from Matrix. Did they eventually fix the issues when you sent the rifle back?

One of the guys from matrix is a member on here...

Bumping this to hopefully get some more feedback.
I will post feedback here when I get my barreled action back, job is supposed to be done at the end of this month. Having them chamber and fit a ½ octagon to ½ round integral barrel and also milling the bridges for Alaska Arms scope rings.

I put my name on the list for an upgrade 2 in February 2022. I was quoted roughly August 2022 for them to request I send my rifle. I have not had a request from Matrix yet.

I put my name on the list for an upgrade 2 in February 2022. I was quoted roughly August 2022 for them to request I send my rifle. I have not had a request from Matrix yet.

I heard back from Matrix last week. They had some staffing rearranged due to illness. They have been fantastically communicative this past week. My rifle is in the mail and will be delivered to them tomorrow for their Upgrade 2.

Well at least some movement and communication, which is a good sign. I bought a BRNO 602 in 375 HH a couple of years ago- right at the transition from AHR to Matrix. I think, most things the average experienced gunsmith can to but the conversion from the BRNO/CZ safety to a Win 70 type safety can be a bit tricky and not for the average gunsmith. I used my local gunsmith who knows Win 70s front and back, yet he was on video calls a bunch with Wayne at AHR to get the job done. :) There are a few tricks in the conversion that many gunsmiths simply don't know, AHR and now Matrix do know. If you get your own gunsmith to do the conversion make sure they know how to do it. Many will say, "oh yah, no problem". Just make sure they know, otherwise you may end up in a gunsmith quicksand Cjerk.

Last edited:
I heard back from Matrix last week. They had some staffing rearranged due to illness. They have been fantastically communicative this past week. My rifle is in the mail and will be delivered to them tomorrow for their Upgrade 2.

Thanks for the update. That's good news--hopefully the upgrade goes well. I'll be interested to hear how it turns out. Also, unless the gentleman earlier in the thread (@Bonk and @ay2626) were also asked to send in their rifles (they had been waiting since last year), it appears you're moving faster than the thread average. I wonder if there's a rhyme or reason for waitlist timing?

I sent an inquiry through their website about a month ago and haven't had a response yet. I assume since I haven't heard anything that means I'm not officially on a waitlist. Hoping to get some clarity at some point.

Well at least some movement and communication, which is a good sign. I bought a BRNO 602 in 375 HH a couple of years ago- right at the transition from AHR to Matrix. I think, most things the average experienced gunsmith can to but the conversion from the BRNO/CZ safety to a Win 70 type safety can be a bit tricky and not for the average gunsmith. I used my local gunsmith who knows Win 70s front and back, yet he was on video calls a bunch with Wayne at AHR to get the job done. :) There are a few tricks in the conversion that many gunsmiths simply don't know, AHR and now Matrix do know. If you get your own gunsmith to do the conversion make sure they know how to do it. Many will say, "oh yah, no problem". Just make sure they know, otherwise you may end up in a gunsmith quicksand Cjerk.

Yes, good to be cautious. I've heard horror stories about smiths really getting in way over their heads. There's a reason AHR and now Matrix specialize in the upgrades.

I sent an email to Matrix yesterday morning and they emailed me back by the afternoon. They also do texts. I am considering them for work on my Ruger RSM. In that vein, has anyone heard of Colton Cavill in Montana. Wayne from AHR told me to call him for my Ruger. Another member suggested Underwood Gunsmithing in Baton Rogue, but I am not sure if they have or do work with Ruger RSMs specifically.

I sent an email to Matrix yesterday morning and they emailed me back by the afternoon. They also do texts. I am considering them for work on my Ruger RSM. In that vein, has anyone heard of Colton Cavill in Montana. Wayne from AHR told me to call him for my Ruger. Another member suggested Underwood Gunsmithing in Baton Rogue, but I am not sure if they have or do work with Ruger RSMs specifically.

That's good to hear. I must have messaged at a bad time. I wanted to give some time before I tried again, as I figured they were swamped and just behind on correspondence (didn't want to seem pesty), but I'll follow up.

Update on my experiences with Matrix and the upgrade process:

I sent multiple inquiries about work I wanted completed through the form on the Matrix website and received no response. Then in late September, a man named Greg who said he was the new business manager sent me a message and arranged a call with Tim, the head gunsmith.

I had a call with Tim on October 5. Tim was great. We had a nice conversation about the upgrade work I wanted done to my CZ 550. Even better, it sounded like he could get started on the work much more quickly than I had imagined--I would be able to send in the rifle right off, and he thought the work might be done by Christmas or New Years.

Tim said that Greg would reach out to collect the deposit, confirm the work I wanted, and facilitate the process. Greg sent an email later that day asking how I wanted to pay the deposit and saying he had attached Matrix's FFL info to the email, which I would need to include in the box when I sent the rifle. However, Greg never attached the FFL info to the email. I responded, saying I wanted to pay the deposit on a card and that he had forgotten to attach the FFL info to the email. I assumed he would respond or call so he could take my card info for the deposit.

A week goes by with no response from Greg. I follow up with a second email. No response. Another week goes by and I follow up again. No response. A couple weeks later and I follow up yet again. No response.

After over a month of trying to get Greg to respond so I could pay the deposit and finally receive the FFL info, I've given up. I don't think I can in good faith continue plowing this field.

Disappointing. I wanted an upgrade package on my CZ, but now I'm probably going to sell the rifle and move on to something else that doesn't need work. I wish I had bought it when AHR was still doing the upgrades!

Update on my experiences with Matrix and the upgrade process:

I sent multiple inquiries about work I wanted completed through the form on the Matrix website and received no response. Then in late September, a man named Greg who said he was the new business manager sent me a message and arranged a call with Tim, the head gunsmith.

I had a call with Tim on October 5. Tim was great. We had a nice conversation about the upgrade work I wanted done to my CZ 550. Even better, it sounded like he could get started on the work much more quickly than I had imagined--I would be able to send in the rifle right off, and he thought the work might be done by Christmas or New Years.

Tim said that Greg would reach out to collect the deposit, confirm the work I wanted, and facilitate the process. Greg sent an email later that day asking how I wanted to pay the deposit and saying he had attached Matrix's FFL info to the email, which I would need to include in the box when I sent the rifle. However, Greg never attached the FFL info to the email. I responded, saying I wanted to pay the deposit on a card and that he had forgotten to attach the FFL info to the email. I assumed he would respond or call so he could take my card info for the deposit.

A week goes by with no response from Greg. I follow up with a second email. No response. Another week goes by and I follow up again. No response. A couple weeks later and I follow up yet again. No response.

After over a month of trying to get Greg to respond so I could pay the deposit and finally receive the FFL info, I've given up. I don't think I can in good faith continue plowing this field.

Disappointing. I wanted an upgrade package on my CZ, but now I'm probably going to sell the rifle and move on to something else that doesn't need work. I wish I had bought it when AHR was still doing the upgrades!

Contact LeRoy Barry at Canyon Creek Custom Gunstocks. Despite his name, he does superb metal work. He is a friend of Wayne’s and did the stock work on many of the AHR upgrades. I have 3 rifles with LeRoy’s stocks and one with extensive metal work as well. All of his work has been outstanding.

A gunsmith recently told me never to give a gunsmith a deposit or they will have no incentive to do your work!

Captain Munro could you tell me what kind of services they offer for rsm’s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross