Experiences with Matrix Gunsmithing

Louis Toadvine

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
As many/most of you know, AHR no longer offers the upgrade packages for CZ rifles and instead recommends the services of Matrix Gunsmithing in Colorado. I have an inquiry out to Matrix about an upgrade project on my CZ 550 but wanted to source any thoughts, experiences, etc. from the AH community.

I would appreciate reading any experiences with the company, but had a few specific questions I hope someone might answer:

-Is the work comparable to what AHR provided for many years? It looks like they do essentially the same upgrades across four different packages, but I was curious if the work product and quality compares to what AHR provided. Given AHR endorses Matrix, I assume so, but I did want to crowdsource.

-Anyone have them restock a rifle? How is the craftsmanship and the quality of the wood blanks used? It looks like Matrix offers a AAA English walnut replacement as part of upgrades #3 and #4. If I go through the effort of restocking the rifle, I think I'd prefer to aim for at least a grade 5 stock with good figure and an oil finish, but am curious to see if people on here have chosen that upgrade with Matrix (pictures please if available!).

-Timing: Sounds like they have quite a backlog and are a pretty lean team. What kind of lead time did you experience? Was it shorter/longer than what was quoted?

Thanks in advance!

ay2626

Gold supporter
AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
I was put on the list for a #2 upgrade for a 458 Lott. That was in October 2021 and I’m still waiting for them to let me know I’m up and to send the rifle in to get started.

Bonk

Gold supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Life Member NRA
I was put on the wait list to have a #2 upgrade to a CZ550 9.3x62 over a year ago. Still waiting .......

Louis Toadvine

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
I was put on the list for a #2 upgrade for a 458 Lott. That was in October 2021 and I’m still waiting for them to let me know I’m up and to send the rifle in to get started.

I was put on the wait list to have a #2 upgrade to a CZ550 9.3x62 over a year ago. Still waiting .......

Oof. That's a heck of a wait. I never had work done by AHR--was the lead time similar (year+)? I know smiths have been slammed the last few years, but that's a long time.

I'm thinking I'd be better off working with a local smith who I like a lot or selling the
CZ and buying a new rifle that doesn't need work.

John J

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
I have two CZ' s with AHR #2 and one Matrix #2. Really can't tell the difference. I know they are slammed with work. I have a Marlin 336 refurb in the works and a 400 Whelen in for a safety once over. Communication may take a day or two but they do respond to me. Tim is a gentleman to deal with. When I visit we BS for a long while. I feel bad knowing the work load, but he takes the time. The integral barrels look awesome, I need one, or two! John

Louis Toadvine

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Bumping this to hopefully get some more feedback.

@Backyardsniper I'm tagging you as I found your thread about the Lott with upgrades from Matrix. Did they eventually fix the issues when you sent the rifle back?

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.takerireservezambia.com
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england
One of the guys from matrix is a member on here...

Proneshooter

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Argentina, Zimbabwe x 3, South Africa, Wyoming, Montana, North & South Dakota, Texas
Bumping this to hopefully get some more feedback.
I will post feedback here when I get my barreled action back, job is supposed to be done at the end of this month. Having them chamber and fit a ½ octagon to ½ round integral barrel and also milling the bridges for Alaska Arms scope rings.

Brandon.Gleason

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DSC, NRA
I put my name on the list for an upgrade 2 in February 2022. I was quoted roughly August 2022 for them to request I send my rifle. I have not had a request from Matrix yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
500 Nitro Express

Latest profile posts

We will be at the Dallas show and the SCI show in 2023. Booth # to be updated soon.
geoff rath wrote on Von Gruff's profile.
G'day, Von Gruff; Could you give me an idea on your Bearded Chef Knife, as per your posted photos, delivered to Australia? I'd like to reward a good mate (excellent amateur chef) who has done me big favours in the past. Cheers, Geoff Rath
Tokoloshe Safaris wrote on TERMINATOR's profile.
I just received a forwarded e-mail from you, concerning our Web Site. We just finished a leopard hunt yesterday. While on the hunt my wife mentioned to me that she had finally had it with the person that was maintaining the site and that she was going to get someone else to maintain the site.

If the site is not active you can contact me thru the AH forum.

Cheers, Lon Denney
Tokoloshe Safaris,
Zimbabwe
Bwana Man wrote on Jager Waffen74's profile.
Interested in the
  • JP Sauer 90 Luxus .375 H&H West German with EAW swing mounts and Varix III 2.5-8x40 scope (Euro Model hand rubbed oil, express sights) 99.9%
yamoon wrote on C.W. Richter's profile.
Hello
The book is still available, I will consider it sold. Personal check is fine. Send me your address.
Thanks
Michael
[redacted]