Experiences with Matrix Gunsmithing

Louis Toadvine

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
As many/most of you know, AHR no longer offers the upgrade packages for CZ rifles and instead recommends the services of Matrix Gunsmithing in Colorado. I have an inquiry out to Matrix about an upgrade project on my CZ 550 but wanted to source any thoughts, experiences, etc. from the AH community.

I would appreciate reading any experiences with the company, but had a few specific questions I hope someone might answer:

-Is the work comparable to what AHR provided for many years? It looks like they do essentially the same upgrades across four different packages, but I was curious if the work product and quality compares to what AHR provided. Given AHR endorses Matrix, I assume so, but I did want to crowdsource.

-Anyone have them restock a rifle? How is the craftsmanship and the quality of the wood blanks used? It looks like Matrix offers a AAA English walnut replacement as part of upgrades #3 and #4. If I go through the effort of restocking the rifle, I think I'd prefer to aim for at least a grade 5 stock with good figure and an oil finish, but am curious to see if people on here have chosen that upgrade with Matrix (pictures please if available!).

-Timing: Sounds like they have quite a backlog and are a pretty lean team. What kind of lead time did you experience? Was it shorter/longer than what was quoted?

Thanks in advance!

ay2626

Gold supporter
AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
I was put on the list for a #2 upgrade for a 458 Lott. That was in October 2021 and I’m still waiting for them to let me know I’m up and to send the rifle in to get started.

Bonk

Gold supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Life Member NRA
I was put on the wait list to have a #2 upgrade to a CZ550 9.3x62 over a year ago. Still waiting .......

Louis Toadvine

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
I was put on the list for a #2 upgrade for a 458 Lott. That was in October 2021 and I’m still waiting for them to let me know I’m up and to send the rifle in to get started.

I was put on the wait list to have a #2 upgrade to a CZ550 9.3x62 over a year ago. Still waiting .......

Oof. That's a heck of a wait. I never had work done by AHR--was the lead time similar (year+)? I know smiths have been slammed the last few years, but that's a long time.

I'm thinking I'd be better off working with a local smith who I like a lot or selling the
CZ and buying a new rifle that doesn't need work.

John J

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
I have two CZ' s with AHR #2 and one Matrix #2. Really can't tell the difference. I know they are slammed with work. I have a Marlin 336 refurb in the works and a 400 Whelen in for a safety once over. Communication may take a day or two but they do respond to me. Tim is a gentleman to deal with. When I visit we BS for a long while. I feel bad knowing the work load, but he takes the time. The integral barrels look awesome, I need one, or two! John

Louis Toadvine

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Bumping this to hopefully get some more feedback.

@Backyardsniper I'm tagging you as I found your thread about the Lott with upgrades from Matrix. Did they eventually fix the issues when you sent the rifle back?

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.takerireservezambia.com
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england
One of the guys from matrix is a member on here...

Proneshooter

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Argentina, Zimbabwe x 3, South Africa, Wyoming, Montana, North & South Dakota, Texas
Bumping this to hopefully get some more feedback.
I will post feedback here when I get my barreled action back, job is supposed to be done at the end of this month. Having them chamber and fit a ½ octagon to ½ round integral barrel and also milling the bridges for Alaska Arms scope rings.

Brandon.Gleason

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DSC, NRA
I put my name on the list for an upgrade 2 in February 2022. I was quoted roughly August 2022 for them to request I send my rifle. I have not had a request from Matrix yet.

Brandon.Gleason

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DSC, NRA
I put my name on the list for an upgrade 2 in February 2022. I was quoted roughly August 2022 for them to request I send my rifle. I have not had a request from Matrix yet.

I heard back from Matrix last week. They had some staffing rearranged due to illness. They have been fantastically communicative this past week. My rifle is in the mail and will be delivered to them tomorrow for their Upgrade 2.

fourfive8

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
Well at least some movement and communication, which is a good sign. I bought a BRNO 602 in 375 HH a couple of years ago- right at the transition from AHR to Matrix. I think, most things the average experienced gunsmith can to but the conversion from the BRNO/CZ safety to a Win 70 type safety can be a bit tricky and not for the average gunsmith. I used my local gunsmith who knows Win 70s front and back, yet he was on video calls a bunch with Wayne at AHR to get the job done. :) There are a few tricks in the conversion that many gunsmiths simply don't know, AHR and now Matrix do know. If you get your own gunsmith to do the conversion make sure they know how to do it. Many will say, "oh yah, no problem". Just make sure they know, otherwise you may end up in a gunsmith quicksand Cjerk.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texashomeandgarden

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Hey everyone..rookie mistake here. Packing to leave tomorrow and I have no idea JNB policy for bringing I cigarettes. Yes I know a smoker, plan on taking 4 cartons if able. Any advice please. Will be greeted by Mr X to ease custom’s hassle. Thanks in advance !
Hi,

Glade to hear from you and that you have kept me in mind.

I hope all is well and the hunting has been good.

Everything is fairly good.

The 2 fellows that I had lined up for this great hunt opportunity have backed out.

I'm in the process of purchasing a new house and having knee surgery, or surgeries depending on the left knee MRI, hopefully I can get back to Africa as early as 2024.
I'm concerned about Australia's indigenous species that are being killed by feral cats. Is anyone aware of any hunts I can joining to go to Australia to take a few shots at feral cats.
Jonathan Gurley wrote on IdahoMo's profile.
Hey Idaho. how many rounds is there thru the 458 win mag
MARTIN PIETERS SAFARIS wrote on Cajun Hunter's profile.
Morning my what’s app is +263778121842 martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com we can look at open dates
Thanks
Martin