Experiences Over The Trophy, Putting The Adventure Back In Africa

It was 2006, I would of only been 19 at the time, walking through the grocery store when I spotted a neat looking magazine cover. Being from Canada we don't have the selection or quantity and quality of hunting magazines you see in the states. Used to love going to cabelas in the states and seeing all the different DVDs and magazines.

Instantly I knew the magazine was right up my alley. Wild Hunting 2006. Quickly flipping through the pages I noticed far off places, exotic hunts and animals. I noticed Craig Boddington was involved. I probably had the mindset to rush home quickly just so I could start reading it. "Start the car!! Start the car!!!"

I came from a hunting family, mainly waterfowl but my father always instilled the desire to conserve and hunt all game. Big and small. I don't know where the drive came from as no one close ever hunted Africa, but from childhood I've dreamed of Africa. The epic safaris of the first part of the 1900s seemed burned into my mind. Roosevelt, Hemingway and Boddington were my go to's. The rifles, the adversity, the heat, the people, the animals, the travel. Everything about it screamed adventure to me.

It was in that magazine, I read an article that would probably change my life. As the title of my thread, it was "Put the adventure back in Africa" by Cameron Hopkins. It felt as though I had written it. He had pulled the words out of my brain and put them to paper. Though I'm sure I could never write that well haha! But in that article so many lines and quotes struck a cord with me.

He would go on about safaris being a major undertaking, and now look at the difference.

"Being whisked away from an airport, to a fancy lodge with AC and power and even a pool"

" it's enough to make an adventure seeker sick. I can think of enough more miserable then being pampered."

I fell in love right there. I knew I had found a man cut from the same cloth.

Fast forward to today. That same magazine I have had in my possession for 11 years. The cover is now long gone. The middle section lost its staples. It's barely hanging on but I still read that magazine like it was the first time I picked it up.

I luckily did a career change 4 years ago and now I'm finally afforded the ability to actually "think and plan" for Africa. Something that wasn't possible before. I am more willing to save and sacrifice just to reach that goal of hunting the dark continent. Been driving the same truck for 9 years and that won't change. Everyone I know says get a new truck. Why would I? If I had to drive it for 20 years just to get to Africa I would with a smile.

So now, and this is no stab at South Africa in the least. This is just a boys dream and now a man's goal to hunt the wild countries of Africa. Like my favourite article says "to soak in the ambience of the same Africa that captivated Ruark and Hemingway" Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, and Tanzania all on my radar. Our exchange rate isn't the best with USD we lucked out for awhile when it was par. I hunted Mexico twice and was fantastic and a good price but now the exchange hurts.

I have a goal within the next couple years to try and hunt Africa once or twice. Buffalo is the number one. I believe the expierence of dangerous game hunting and quoting the article one last time "I care very much about hunting an African buffalo, on foot, in thick cover. The right way"

I'm sure I may want to hunt SA possibly in the future. With the wife and and family. Plains games. Kudu also keeps me up at night haha.

But for now I want the experience's. My wife is a hunter herself and understands my passions and drive. But she is rather funny, she doesn't want to see any elephant and African cat brought home. She is rather accommodating in all other matters. Hunting and life wise. I'd love to hunt Buff and a few plains game to start. And return to potentially hunt an Ele. Either a non export or since I'm Canadian I could import and just not keep in the house is fine.

This forum has been amazing. I enjoy checking it daily and seeing the reports and offers from outfitters. I'm halfway through building our home and off hunting elk and moose this year so budgets tight for now but I have a goal of going to Africa and I will achieve it. Sooner rather then later.

View attachment 199347
Thanks for sharing your dream and a big dream it is! I share with you the desire to hunt the real wild places. It's hard, its expensive, and there is no A/C, but the adventure is real!
Philip

I read the whole magazine article yesterday during a lull at work. Then I kinda got caught up obsessing about the addiction called hunting. I think I'm going to have to chase an adventure more than a hunt on the next go. I just sent an email to our own @JamesJ this morning to get some info about Mongolia for an ibex. Yes, there are closer and cheaper ways to get one, but the trip, the distant location and the adventure will be awesome if I can do it. Plus I'd get the third continent check off my list...

Thanks for the inspiration!

Adam, been awhile since I have read such a great post. I hope your dreams come to fruit.

@Royal27, you lucky, our roads too bad for a truck to last 20 years :)

Thanks for sharing your dream and a big dream it is! I share with you the desire to hunt the real wild places. It's hard, its expensive, and there is no A/C, but the adventure is real!
Philip

Me too Philip!

Adam, AH is a great place to help keep your dream alive. I enjoyed the article thanks for sharing.

I read Death in the Long Grass in 1991 and it had the same effect on my 19 year old dreamers mind. i also have some old magazines that made a huge impression on a younger mind-worth their weight in gold!

image.jpg

Btw-I have been driving a single cab 2wd v6 dodge pos for a couple years to afford my dream. My first hunt is "booked" for July 2018 thanks largely to AH. Just plains game this time, more wild and dangerous another time

Go do it Adam. It's only getting harder to find. 40 years ago a guy could load up his backpack and walk off into the mountains of Colorado and not see a soul for a week of hunting. Tough once your elk is down and you realize you have 6 heavy loads of gear and game to haul out. Once I left a spindly 5x5 rack in the Rawahs because I didn't want to make another trip back in for the 10 mile round trip.
At 69 years old, I hauled 3 loads over deadfall, but only 1 1/2 miles one way. Still an adventure just wondering if this would be my last hunt.

Work out. Stay in shape. And go now before you get too old!

Adam,

I like luxury hunts. Here are a couple from my last safari. There is nothing wrong with being comfortable.

Seriously, a true adventure can still be found in Africa, although this on may not be a good idea for a first safari.

High class transportation in the rainforest

You meet some very nice people

I opted for the luxury package, it came complete with a hand built dinner table / night stand / equipment cleaning rack

But the effort can be so worth it.

Last edited:
Mike, you're one hard core! Although seeing you are from the bayou state, it sort of looks like home, i.e. wet:)!

Yes Adam, follow your dreams. I have a rusting F150 4x4 2000 and won't sell it too. People remember memories of adventures a lot more than what vehicle they drove. People usually regret adventures they didn't take!

Adam,

Thanks for sharing. As others have said, follow your dreams. I made the decision to pursue the wild and hard to get to places - similar to the theme of the article. I have the Zambezi Valley Zimbabwe and Niassa Mozambique covered. I can't go every year. Once every five, maybe. I've got 4 years to save up to the next one. Hopefully Zambia or Tanzania. We'll see. Enjoy the planning, the dreaming and the goal. And, know that you can achieve it.

John

Great article you think like many of the guys I flyfish with they will pass on big fish if they won't take the perfect fly the perfect way.

Thanks for the excellent post Adam,

I've been abundantly Blessed the last 31 years hunting the Dark Continent. In retrospect, the mentally and physically challenging hunts in the remote areas of CAR, Cameroon, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimabwe live in my memory, however the great hunts I've had in South Africa and Namiba are just as profound. Living out of a Landcuiser eating tinned food until you harvest something gave me a sense of purpose. Spending days on end in the Rain Forest reminded me of the need for perserverance and prayer. As @enysse stated, Follow your dreams and you wont be disappointed.

Most important, don't forget to post your experiences here, we all enjoy sharing the moment!

ed food until you harvest something gave me a sense of purpose.

That sounds a lot like my first trip to Iraq! Except it was a hummer, the food was vacuum bagged, and it wasn't the critters that were the concern...

Dear Adam
Welcome to this amazing Forum where you can interact with others to gather information to follow your dream, never quit.
If you replace the perception that "hunting in Africa is expensive" with the facts, then you will realise soon that it IS within your reach.
Before you know it, you could be in Africa.
Dreams become reality.

Your on the right track, I would never thought years ago reading about Africa that I would ever be able to go. After one trip, now it's practically all I think about. Be careful what you wish for!! LOL
I'm in the say boat. I have been reading and watching everything Africa for nearly 30 years. I just got back from my first safari last week and can think of little else. This forum has been a great discovery for me. I am finding that my friends and family who haven't been just do not talk about hunting in Africa enough to suit me anymore. It is good to have this as an outlet for my excitement to keep from driving my wife nuts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
majisman

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross