AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, USA, Mexico
It was 2006, I would of only been 19 at the time, walking through the grocery store when I spotted a neat looking magazine cover. Being from Canada we don't have the selection or quantity and quality of hunting magazines you see in the states. Used to love going to cabelas in the states and seeing all the different DVDs and magazines.

Instantly I knew the magazine was right up my alley. Wild Hunting 2006. Quickly flipping through the pages I noticed far off places, exotic hunts and animals. I noticed Craig Boddington was involved. I probably had the mindset to rush home quickly just so I could start reading it. "Start the car!! Start the car!!!"

I came from a hunting family, mainly waterfowl but my father always instilled the desire to conserve and hunt all game. Big and small. I don't know where the drive came from as no one close ever hunted Africa, but from childhood I've dreamed of Africa. The epic safaris of the first part of the 1900s seemed burned into my mind. Roosevelt, Hemingway and Boddington were my go to's. The rifles, the adversity, the heat, the people, the animals, the travel. Everything about it screamed adventure to me.

It was in that magazine, I read an article that would probably change my life. As the title of my thread, it was "Put the adventure back in Africa" by Cameron Hopkins. It felt as though I had written it. He had pulled the words out of my brain and put them to paper. Though I'm sure I could never write that well haha! But in that article so many lines and quotes struck a cord with me.

He would go on about safaris being a major undertaking, and now look at the difference.

"Being whisked away from an airport, to a fancy lodge with AC and power and even a pool"

" it's enough to make an adventure seeker sick. I can think of enough more miserable then being pampered."

I fell in love right there. I knew I had found a man cut from the same cloth.

Fast forward to today. That same magazine I have had in my possession for 11 years. The cover is now long gone. The middle section lost its staples. It's barely hanging on but I still read that magazine like it was the first time I picked it up.

I luckily did a career change 4 years ago and now I'm finally afforded the ability to actually "think and plan" for Africa. Something that wasn't possible before. I am more willing to save and sacrifice just to reach that goal of hunting the dark continent. Been driving the same truck for 9 years and that won't change. Everyone I know says get a new truck. Why would I? If I had to drive it for 20 years just to get to Africa I would with a smile.

So now, and this is no stab at South Africa in the least. This is just a boys dream and now a man's goal to hunt the wild countries of Africa. Like my favourite article says "to soak in the ambience of the same Africa that captivated Ruark and Hemingway" Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, and Tanzania all on my radar. Our exchange rate isn't the best with USD we lucked out for awhile when it was par. I hunted Mexico twice and was fantastic and a good price but now the exchange hurts.

I have a goal within the next couple years to try and hunt Africa once or twice. Buffalo is the number one. I believe the expierence of dangerous game hunting and quoting the article one last time "I care very much about hunting an African buffalo, on foot, in thick cover. The right way"

I'm sure I may want to hunt SA possibly in the future. With the wife and and family. Plains games. Kudu also keeps me up at night haha.

But for now I want the experience's. My wife is a hunter herself and understands my passions and drive. But she is rather funny, she doesn't want to see any elephant and African cat brought home. She is rather accommodating in all other matters. Hunting and life wise. I'd love to hunt Buff and a few plains game to start. And return to potentially hunt an Ele. Either a non export or since I'm Canadian I could import and just not keep in the house is fine.

This forum has been amazing. I enjoy checking it daily and seeing the reports and offers from outfitters. I'm halfway through building our home and off hunting elk and moose this year so budgets tight for now but I have a goal of going to Africa and I will achieve it. Sooner rather then later.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's how dreams are made.

Good stuff Adam! If it's not too much trouble, maybe post the article via some pictures? I'd love to read it in full.

Your on the right track, I would never thought years ago reading about Africa that I would ever be able to go. After one trip, now it's practically all I think about. Be careful what you wish for!! LOL

Just great Adam! And looking forward to reading your African adventure on AH. Hope @cameronhopkins will see your post and chime in...

Excellent first post in this thread.

Nice, thanks for sharing!

Everyone I know says get a new truck. Why would I? If I had to drive it for 20 years just to get to Africa I would with a smile.

Life is all about priorities and most prioritize a car and then swear they can't afford to do what they really want, when they could if they made another choice.

My truck is 14 years old, and I do plan on driving it to 20, and keep spending that money on things I really want to do. :)

So now, and this is no stab at South Africa in the least. This is just a boys dream and now a man's goal to hunt the wild countries of Africa.

Keep dreaming and planning! Dreams do come true if you want them badly enough.

SA is awesome, but it isn't the same and don't let anyone try and convince you otherwise. Keep listening to your heart.

I have a goal within the next couple years to try and hunt Africa once or twice. Buffalo is the number one. I believe the expierence of dangerous game hunting and quoting the article one last time "I care very much about hunting an African buffalo, on foot, in thick cover. The right way"

Great quote!

Again, I love that you've already figured out that you want a "wild hunt." It's almost like they've become under rated and they so shouldn't be.

"On foot, in thick cover. The right way."

I agree...

This is not necessarily the only right answer for everyone.

But I do think it is the right answer, for me.

My afternoon pack on the treadmill routine was interrupted today by a video that nearly made me sick.

It was a fellow, his two PHs, a tracker and videographer standing on the edge of a bush line watching 50 or so buffalo.

All the gents were talking in conversational volume while the buffalo watched them with what appeared to be expectation of a feeding. The herd was 100 yards away with zero cover between the humans and the buffalo.

The buffalo would move towards the humans, mill about, move 20 yards off, mill about, come 20 yards closer...etc.

Eventually a nice bull got clear and the human shot the bull. He at least appeared to make a good shot as the bull dropped pretty quickly and never got back up.

The human was unable to put a finisher into the bull as the herd surrounded the bull. Some of the buffalo continued grazing. Some still had that look of "where's the good stuff that comes out of the bag"?

Eventually the herd moved off a bit. Then the human shot a cow. Appeared to hit her low, breaking the leg at the brisket level. She was immediately surrounded by the herd so no quick finisher.

The humans eventually started walking toward the herd and they moved off enough for another shot at perhaps 50 yards, at the now walking, wounded cow.

She dropped, but was clearly not out as her head was up and she was alert. Another minute passed as the human approached to within about 25 yards and put a third shot into the cow. Finally the death bellow was heard.

I'm sorry, but this just does not seem, to me, like an honorable way to hunt such a beast as the Cape Buffalo.

I forced myself to watch this video, to help further cement in my mind that I did not want to hunt a buffalo this way. Once the hero shots started, I had to turn it off...I could only take so much.

No offense meant to anyone who has taken a buffalo in such a manner. It that was your hunt and you were happy with it, great. I just hope anyone going over fully understands the differences between the various buffalo hunts offered and they do not purchase the wrong one...I hope their expectations are met and there is no buyer's remorse.

Search your soul before you commit.

Tim

i bought my truck in 1992 and still drive it,ill never get rid of it.i take care of it and it takes care of me.you cant imagine the amount of people who try and talk me into selling it,NEVER.i wonder how many new trucks i could buy on what we have spent on our 5 trips to africa and the mounts we have???i wouldnt trade our trips and mounts for all the new trucks in this world.
12-31-2003125944PM.jpg

Adam I hope Africa is everything you ever dreamed it would be!

No offense meant to anyone who has taken a buffalo in such a manner. It that was your hunt and you were happy with it, great. I just hope anyone going over fully understands the differences between the various buffalo hunts offered and they do not purchase the wrong one...I hope their expectations are met and there is no buyer's remorse.

Search your soul before you commit.

This is as well written as I've ever seen this sentiment. Great job Tim.

And the highlighted couldn't be more true.

Love this.

Adam it's obvious that with your spirit and conviction you will make it. I wish you all the best with your quest and look forward to hearing about it.

Adam, you would probably enjoy this video by Rainer Jösch

Rainer Josch video.JPG

What a great article! I can understand why it's stuck with you. Thank you for sharing it.

Adam, you are over half way there! But I am sure you already know this! Be sure to keep us all informed! Good Luck!

Adam, you will certainly enjoy your African hunt as you have a good mindset and know what you want. Thanks for attaching the magazine article, it was a good read. Reminds me of all the hunting and outdoor magazines I collected from the local book exchange and stored in the cupboard. As a kid, I would read them when ever I had the chance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SungHiggin

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg