Experience with Magna port on their rifles?

375Fox

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Zambia, Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Cameroon
Anyone have experience with magna porting on their rifles? Was recommended by a PH I hunted with. He said noise and muzzle blast is not significantly increased, but will reduce recoil. I have not called yet, was hoping to get some further information first.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 2.57.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 2.57.52 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 188
if you are talking about the original magnaport, i had it done to a sako 375 h&h.
the rifle had the same barrel profile as a 30/06.
this made it too light.
when you fired it, due to excess lightness, lack of muzzle weight, and seriously poor stock design, you had to hold the forearm firmly or it would tear out of your hand and the muzzle went upward.
a bit like a poorly stocked rigby 450 nitro double i also had.
the sako was magnaported and the muzzle climb became managable as well as rearward push reduced.
i would have it done to my 9.3x64, but magnaport has left australia.
the current plethora of brakes seems to have drawn attention from magnaport, but i suspect magnaport is more user friendly than a brake.
it did not affect accuracy, but made the rifle way more shootable.
bruce.

if you are talking about the original magnaport, i had it done to a sako 375 h&h.
the rifle had the same barrel profile as a 30/06.
this made it too light.
when you fired it, due to excess lightness, lack of muzzle weight, and seriously poor stock design, you had to hold the forearm firmly or it would tear out of your hand and the muzzle went upward.
a bit like a poorly stocked rigby 450 nitro double i also had.
the sako was magnaported and the muzzle climb became managable as well as rearward push reduced.
i would have it done to my 9.3x64, but magnaport has left australia.
the current plethora of brakes seems to have drawn attention from magnaport, but i suspect magnaport is more user friendly than a brake.
it did not affect accuracy, but made the rifle way more shootable.
bruce.
Thank you for that feedback. Yes, I am looking at original magna port not the brake. How much did the noise level increase after having it magna ported?

Magna Porting stopped excessive muzzle rise/jump on my Pre 64 M70 featherweight .308 and made a slight reduction in recoil -- Just as advertised.
This lack of muzzle jump made it easier to shoot accurately off a bench rest and made it easy to keep on target shot after shot when shooting offhand. I have not noticed any increase in noise/sound.
For a rifle that has the too much muzzle rise, it is worth the money.

I had a good experience with it on a .300 win mag-BUT, I lost about 150 FPS in the process. Not sure if that happens every time or just that rifle, maybe ask the gunsmith about it before you get it done. If that matters I suppose

I had a good experience with it on a .300 win mag-BUT, I lost about 150 FPS in the process. Not sure if that happens every time or just that rifle, maybe ask the gunsmith about it before you get it done. If that matters I suppose
Thanks for feedback. I see on their website they write velocity will not be reduced, but that was one of my concerns. I’m considering it for a 416 rigby, my gunsmith hand loads for me, I was thinking there should be options for powders with reduced barrel lengths?

i couldn't tell the difference in noise.
velocity remained pretty much the same.
i was using ar2209 (h4350) with 300 gn bullets .
bruce.

Have rifles mag Na ported. The first was around 1990. A 340 mag. Ported it because of excessive muzzle raise. Since then have had a300 Wby, 2- 458 Lott’s— a 416 Rem and a 416 Rigby. Never chrony,d any before porting but have chrony,d all in load development. Not science but vel about where book said they should be. The first 458 Lott would raise off the bench a good 16/18 in. Before porting.After porting app 8/10 in.As to recoil not a lot of difference the greatest improvement was the less comb uprise into the cheek.
I would do it again.

I bought a Dakota 10 single shot in 308 Win. rifle that was Magna ported. Less muzzle rise than the same caliber in other rifles and I did not note any increase in noise out in the open. However with short barrel and action the end of the barrel is close to the window in a box blind and it appeared to be significantly louder when shooting out of a box blind than other bolt action 308s.

Not a rifle but I had my .475 Linebaugh handgun Magnaported. I just had the single ports cut (One on each side of the barrel). It did reduce muzzle flip and I didn’t notice an increase in muzzle blast. Note: In low light the flames coming out of those ports are impressive.

I purchased a Winchester 94AE Timber in 450 Marlin with factory magna-porting on an 18” barrel. I don’t know that it helps with recoil but it seems to reduce muzzle lift. As this lever action rifle is only 6lbs, it is great brush gun and carry rifle with great knock down power.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I didn’t realize how common this was. I just got a 416, going to shoot it first, and decide if it’s a good option for that rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg