Exotic Wildlife Auction in Texas for the Star-S Ranch

Muskox

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
Namibia, Australia, Spain, Germany, all over the United States
Spent about an hour or two watching the Star-S ranch exotic animal auction.

Results were kind of spectacular, but I have nothing to base it on.

Giraffe bulls went for $70,000 each.

A pair of yearling cape buffalo went for either $220,000 or $440,000 (I think that is how they did it). I never been to an auction before I don't know what two times the money means.

Sable were super expensive every lot bringing over $30, and most $50.

Fallow deer were also super expensive.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 7.15.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 7.15.34 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 179
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 7.15.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 7.15.29 PM.png
    555 KB · Views: 183
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 7.15.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 7.15.28 PM.png
    618.6 KB · Views: 182
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 7.15.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 7.15.26 PM.png
    628.3 KB · Views: 191
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 7.15.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 7.15.24 PM.png
    748.6 KB · Views: 169
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 7.15.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 7.15.20 PM.png
    760.5 KB · Views: 150
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 7.15.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 7.15.19 PM.png
    982.2 KB · Views: 145
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 7.15.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 7.15.17 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 134
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 4.59.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 4.59.58 PM.png
    378.6 KB · Views: 129
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 10.18.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 10.18.20 PM.png
    336.9 KB · Views: 173
The really expensive ones are being bought as breeders.

But damn. How do you tell that story at the trophy room bar over a wee dram. I mean seriously ..... "There I was in Kerrville ,,,,,,,,"

A pair of yearling cape buffalo went for either $220,000 or $440,000 (I think that is how they did it). I never been to an auction before I don't know what two times the money means.
One bull cost the winning bidder $220,000, he bought another bull, probably in the same lot for the identical price, Hence two times the money, 2 times $220,000 for a total of $440,000. I would suspect that they were full brothers or at minimum half brothers. Now the new owner will have to wait for a few more years for them to reach sexual maturity and he will probably draw semen from them to be used in Artificial insemination breeding programs. I hope for the new owners sake that they are able to project their genetics on to their offspring.Both bulls will probably die of old age still technically virgins as they will probably never be allowed to breed an actual real cape buffalo female. There is too much risk of injury to the bull that will jeopardize the investment.

What's amazing is that there are people actually doing that. I guess no one can tell where it was shot when it is displayed over the fireplace. :ROFLMAO:
The banker/financial planner/loan-shark etc might know.

they will probably never be allowed to breed an actual real cape buffalo female. There is too much risk of injury
Yes. I would imagine that would be a significantly perilous endeavour! :E Lol:

It is out of control and artificial now. I’ve been in the exotics biz in TX since the early ‘90’s and I’ve seen it all. The ostrich and emu craze that ended badly, the elk craze that crashed, and now here we are with prices that have no long term justification. It will run for a few years but it will end. Badly. Star S is new to the business but have deep pockets. I am hoping to add some new animals to my program but we will see.
Philip

It is out of control and artificial now. I’ve been in the exotics biz in TX since the early ‘90’s and I’ve seen it all. The ostrich and emu craze that ended badly, the elk craze that crashed, and now here we are with prices that have no long term justification. It will run for a few years but it will end. Badly. Star S is new to the business but have deep pockets. I am hoping to add some new animals to my program but we will see.
Philip
Seems now days eve one and their brother is in the business and unless you had old stock from several years ago the new stuff will take everything you have. We used to buy fallow, sika, doe for $60.00 a head, sell the hunt for $180.00. Those days are long gone. It’s a cut throat business these days.

Just like every hot market should have got in 5 years ago.

I was talking to one operation and they said a prime breeder giraffe could go for $250,000!

Could make this like the Holland Tulip Mania of the 1600’s and start selling futures on animals not born yet!!

Neil I’m no breeder but heard that AI on Buff has not been done successfully as I say my knowledge is partial but that is info I received can you clarify? Or anyone else on the forum?

CORRECTION I see the first successful IVF was done in 2016 sire Goliath. Hmmmm wonder who will be doing the jacking and who will be holding the 375

succes is quite low though.

My best Jaco

One bull cost the winning bidder $220,000, he bought another bull, probably in the same lot for the identical price, Hence two times the money, 2 times $220,000 for a total of $440,000. I would suspect that they were full brothers or at minimum half brothers. Now the new owner will have to wait for a few more years for them to reach sexual maturity and he will probably draw semen from them to be used in Artificial insemination breeding programs. I hope for the new owners sake that they are able to project their genetics on to their offspring.Both bulls will probably die of old age still technically virgins as they will probably never be allowed to breed an actual real cape buffalo female. There is too much risk of injury to the bull that will jeopardize the investment.

Last edited:
Neil I’m no breeder but heard that AI on Buff has not been done successfully as I say my knowledge is partial but that is info I received can you clarify? Or anyone else on the forum?

CORRECTION I see the first successful IVF was done in 2016 sire Goliath. Hmmmm wonder who will be doing the jacking and who will be holding the 375

succes is quite low though.

My best Jaco
That would be quite dangerous on an excited bull!

They do have electronic ejaculators that work on sedated males. A much safer way!

That would be quite dangerous on an excited bull!

They do have electronic ejaculators that work on sedated males. A much safer way!
That takes the challenge out of it and should be regarded as cheating!!!
Best J

Last edited:
Whew, now I don't have to pay so much to go over to Africa to hunt, I can just hunt here in Texas and save money. :A Yell:

Philip

We rode quite a few of those exotic trends in the 80's and 90's. Pot bellied pigs, emu, ostrich, neighbors imported Murray Grey cattle from Australia.

It was all 70's oil money that eventually dried up and my dad ended up back in law enforcement.

I think that cat Wildlife Partners guy and the tech industry buy out crowd Star S and Ox probably didn't help much with the current problem.

I remember going to a Kifaru auction in 2005 and thinking this can't be sustainable.

This is 10 times what that was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you