www.huntsafaris.co.za
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, New Zealand, USA, Canada
Exceptional Leopard from the Eastern Cape mauls dogs man - Graphic Content

caution-sign.jpg

GRAPHIC CONTENT BELOW

The Leopard shown below, was killed after it attacked the hounds man in a well known area not far from us here in the Eastern Cape. The hounds man was running a Jackal pack of hounds, when the dogs picked up the scent of the cat. The very large tom, obviously agitated by the hounds, attacked.
The cat was dispatched by one of the members in the party, no doubt saving the hounds man's life.

There is no doubt that there will an investigation from Nature Conservation, but seeing the wounds to the individual, in my opinion, should be the end of the investigation. No doubt that this man would not be here today, had it not been for the quick reaction of the first responder. It takes a certain type of strong individual to respond to these situations, and the world needs more of them. A special mention to him for acting swiftly and saving this man's life.

The cat weighed a whopping 111kg, or 244lbs. I have heard that this is the second incident in the Eastern Cape of the exact same nature, proving that the population of Leopard is healthy down here, and maybe time by the authorities to start rethinking, not only the hold off on permits for the country as a whole, but also permits for the Eastern Cape.

full

full

full

Wishing the injured man a speedy recovery.

caution-sign.jpg

GRAPHIC CONTENT ABOVE

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! I would certainly hope it's obvious the man was in danger!!

Damn! That cat was on the man to kill. I am glad he lived to tell about it to his grand children some day.

Wow!

That is a HUGE tom. Dangerous occupation. Glad it wasn't worse. Bruce

Just read it was near Alicedale. That must be a record for a leopard in the Eastern Cape.

Leopard attack horror
Burchell Private Game Reserve, leopard, Zwelake Dyan
getimage-3.jpg

TOUGH CUSTOMER: Zwelake Dyan is recovering well in hospital. With him is his daughter, Bulelwa, 26. Picture: Eugene Coetzee

‘This is the end for me,’ victim thought as he was savaged by cornered cat

A farmworker narrowly escaped with his life when he was mauled by a massive leopard which attacked him in dense bush on an Eastern Cape game reserve.

The drama unfolded during a pest control expedition when the animal pounced on Zwelake Dyan – employed at the Burchell Private Game Reserve near Alicedale – and was subsequently shot by a member of the party.

Dyan, 60, was part of the group hunting small predators on the game farm on Thursday morning when he suddenly came across an “unusually large” leopard that attacked him and ripped into the left side of his face.

Now, while he is recovering in Settlers Hospital in Grahamstown, the Green Scorpions are investigating the incident. Dyan said he had his dogs to thank for saving his life. “It happened so quickly,” he said from his hospital bed yesterday.

“By the time I spotted the leopard it was already preparing to charge me. It jumped right into my chest, knocking me down and I went unconscious.

January 14, 2017 Riaan Marais Herald Live

That gives you pause.
Glad he is recovering.

Thinking you are chasing Jackal and have that monster come at you.

By the sounds of it, the dogs did not quit on the Leopard.

Last edited:
Anybody know what the weights are of the heaviest cats recorded in history?

No clue but that one is certainly near the top of the list. 200 lbs is a monster. Never mind another 45lbs.

caution-sign.jpg

GRAPHIC CONTENT BELOW

The following photographs has been doing the rounds on social media the last couple of day- and needless to say, a whole stack of different versions of what, where, how and when this happened- I will leave the details to someone more informed of with with first hand knowledge of what exactly took place. What I do know is, is that this guy is very lucky to have survived!

full

full

full

full

caution-sign.jpg

GRAPHIC CONTENT ABOVE

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow

Messing with a cat which is as big as you are is always a dangerous proposition.

I just wish this man will fully recover, these photos show him in a state of shock !

Last edited:
That is one tough dude to be torn up like that but still be able to pose for a few pictures!

Those are some wicked wounds. Good thing they were able to dispatch that monster cat. 244 pounds of fury. Those fangs got to be 3" long.

OUCH !!!

I wonder how many times those pics have been sent via whatsapp???

No doubt there are some big leopards in the East Cape. Why wouldn't there be? They are protected, there is lots of game, many hills/mountains and excellent habitat.

That really puts leopard hunting in perspective! What an impressive animal. You are so right about the qualities of the guy who shot the cat. He probably did not have much room for error!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg