Examples or suggestions for Royal Guardian Lion Mounts

ActionBob

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Texas Hill Country, Central Minnesota, SW Kansas.
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
NRA life, DSC, SCI
Hunted
Minnesota, Texas, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, British Columbia, Argentina, Kansas, Macedonia, Australia, Tanzania, Iceland
Planning a lion hunt, 2 cats, one for me and one for my wife. But struggling with how to mount them.

My wife does not want the full action or snarling/menacing mounts. And some pretty kitty thing is just not right either. We are not sure if we will take two males or a male/female combo.

I have seen some nice mounts with a male and female looking out over their domain, with a little greenery/bushes on the pedestal. This could be in the place of honor in the trophy room or inside my office/den (yet to be built).

A suggestion was also made that a pair of "Royal Guardians" would really be classy and I love the concept. Not sure if it must be two males or a male and female would suffice. They could really be stunning on each side of a desk in a den, standing guard to a grand entrance to the house (might be a bit much), inside the den, or inside or to the entrance from the house or den to the trophy room. We are also in the process of planning our retirement house so still can design to suit to some degree... Not and endless budget but we can get this done within reason.

It would be immensely helpful to see some examples/photos if you all could share what you might have along these lines.

Here are some ideas....

funny-female-lion-shouting-male.jpg

OK Royal, very clever! I did NOT ask for examples of PMS, lion style.

The lion may be King of the Jungle, but we all know who is really in charge!

Seems the World over, aint nobody happy if momma aint happy!

Couldn't resist! :)

Yea you got me almost as good as that cat's got his tongue;)

Planning a lion hunt, 2 cats, one for me and one for my wife. But struggling with how to mount them.

My wife does not want the full action or snarling/menacing mounts. And some pretty kitty thing is just not right either. We are not sure if we will take two males or a male/female combo.

I have seen some nice mounts with a male and female looking out over their domain, with a little greenery/bushes on the pedestal. This could be in the place of honor in the trophy room or inside my office/den (yet to be built).

A suggestion was also made that a pair of "Royal Guardians" would really be classy and I love the concept. Not sure if it must be two males or a male and female would suffice. They could really be stunning on each side of a desk in a den, standing guard to a grand entrance to the house (might be a bit much), inside the den, or inside or to the entrance from the house or den to the trophy room. We are also in the process of planning our retirement house so still can design to suit to some degree... Not and endless budget but we can get this done within reason.

It would be immensely helpful to see some examples/photos if you all could share what you might have along these lines.

Action Bob.

Check with Animal Artistry out of Reno on a 2 lion mount. I saw one their of a male and female that you could display together or separate. They were on wheels for ease of moving and joined up to make a very nice 2 lion presentation. I did not take a picture as they were still working on the floor platform for the lions.

Check with Mike Boyce for e mail - mike@animalartistry.com - web site - www.animalartistry.com

I use them and they are very good. My wife really likes their work.

Thanks James, that is a very good group of samples! And nice they have prices listed.

I don't know Action Bob some of these examples could make interesting mounts!

Bob, James is correct. Animal Artistry does some nice work. I should know I did plenty of it when I worked there.
That mount type that James is talking about is pretty common, The base is actually 2 bases that interlock when moved together and are fully finished 360 so when they are moved apart. The bases still present themselves as finished single bases. It gives you the opportunity to arrange the furniture so to speak and get a different feel as often as you like and then go back after a time with them back together.

Just a few of many ideas Bob, I sent you a pm also..

th-13.jpeg
th-12.jpeg
th-11.jpeg
th-10.jpeg
th-9.jpeg
th-8.jpeg

th-15.jpeg
th-14.jpeg
queen-beasts-11426995.jpg
lioness-lying-road-5530457.jpg

th-16.jpeg
th-18.jpeg

Bob,
My opinion would be to go for something like what Dennis has posted here, should you go for a Male/Female combo. Most of the photos are of the animals in their natural state. I'm not too keen on them snarling at each other or special poses, as I feel it is a mount that will last a lifetime, and personally I'm worried that I might get tired of a certain pose. Am I the only one who worry about stuff like this?
For me, just a basic pose, that honors the animal will do.
It must feel like a huge decision to you and believe me, it is. It took me two years to decide what to do with my Lioness.
All the best Bob. I'm sure the guys here will chime in, and will help you gather momentum in your final decision.

Take Care,

Bob,
My opinion would be to go for something like what Dennis has posted here, should you go for a Male/Female combo. Most of the photos are of the animals in their natural state. I'm not too keen on them snarling at each other or special poses, as I feel it is a mount that will last a lifetime, and personally I'm worried that I might get tired of a certain pose. Am I the only one who worry about stuff like this?
For me, just a basic pose, that honors the animal will do.

Marius, My thoughts in general are the same. Seems almost a fad lately to have snarling cats and my wife forbids that (She reserves the right to the snarling herself.. LOL) Seriously, I was not after that look either. But I do think it is a shame to not show those big teeth so been thinking of a relaxed open mouth, or panting natural pose.

Why not go with the relaxed pose, mouth closed and have the skulls bleached and displayed together. That way when people visit they can handle the skulls and see the real dangerous part up close. Can you share a selfie of you and your wife to match one of Royal27's pictures?

One of my favorite lion mounts I have ever seen is on the relive facebook page.Go back to dec 2011 and look at the lion sitting down looking over his shoulder.The face is perfect the pose is one I could see happening in the wild just like that.It is one of the main reason I picked relive as anyone who can make a cat look like that is very good in my eyes.
I would bet his front legs could be raised to be sitting up more and might be the look you want

Why not go with the relaxed pose, mouth closed and have the skulls bleached and displayed together. That way when people visit they can handle the skulls and see the real dangerous part up close. Can you share a selfie of you and your wife to match one of Royal27's pictures?

You have a great idea there!....... And one really bad one.

Might just do that on one cat, and perhaps the relaxed open mouth on the other........ And, um... NO!

I don't know what the 3 above cost but all I can say is WOW, WOW & WOW!

Those mounts are done by Rocky Cooper from Brush Country in Texas. I've heard he has just sold his studio to new owners for a move to South Africa . Rocky is over 60 now and I'll bet it's to still do taxidermy but retire in S A . Supposedly somewhere in the Limpopo area. He doesn't publish a price list and you have to request one.

Umm,,,,,,,, NO

Although I think of myself as a fun loving, gung ho, pickup truck driving, gun toting, somewhat redneck American...... When I spoke of a pose such as "Royal Guardians", I was honestly thinking more along the lines of the "Queen's Guards" than a Bill Clinton' esque White House pose.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross