Evolution Of The Red Fish Taxidermy

Discussion in 'Taxidermy' started by gizmo, Mar 28, 2017.

1. gizmo

gizmo AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2015 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
    Hunted:
    Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
    ok so I had to paint two fish here at school so.....the first up is a Red Fish. I chose this for my first (first ever painted fish btw) fish as my son caught a 29" Red when he was about 9 or so while we were on vacation. It was the first "big" fish he'd ever caught at the time. I'm having to go off of memory for the paint scheme ( in my defense I drink a lot so when I get home it may not be exact but hey)
    First I started with a blank, installed and tape eyes and fins.

IMG_2412.JPG from here it was a matter of layering paints and detail work. IMG_2413.JPG IMG_2415.JPG IMG_2416.JPG IMG_2419.JPG IMG_2420.JPG IMG_2421.JPG IMG_2416.JPG IMG_2422.JPG IMG_2424.JPG

Tomorrow after it cures I'll inspect and pull the tape off of the eyes. For my first Fish I'm pretty happy.

alby, Pheroze, jasyblood and 2 others like this.

2. gizmo

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
    Hunted:
    I'll post a final pic and the next Fish up is a largemouth bass. If y'all enjoy this thread then I'll do the same with it.

Bsto270 likes this.

3. Bullthrower338

Bullthrower338 AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
    Hunted:
    USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT
    Here is a comparison, much smaller but you did great Erik! Some folks might not know what a red looks like.

IMG_4118.JPG

Royal27 and gizmo like this.

4. billc

billc AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    united state- Co Nm Mt Wy Pa , canada ,mexico ,south africa- Northwest, Limpopo, freestste.Northern cape,East cape, namibia
    Very nice I would only say I think you have to much white yet on the belly and it needs to be blended in better. Please keep showing the stuff you do As I myself like seeing it all.

5. gizmo

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
  6. gizmo

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Thanks Bill. Coloration on fish depends on where and when the fish was caught. Some are almost all red at certain times and places and inversely I've caught several that had almost no red on them. This was done freehand from a reference photo and memory of what the actual fish looked like. The lateral line on the form was 3/4 of the way up. The paint schedule called for color from the lateral line up. I went a touch below it as that's what I seem to remember of Seth's fish.

7. gizmo

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Largemouth are a great example of that. In real market water bass will have very little greens. In clear water with vegetation that can get really green. Fish tend to adapt to their environments.

8. billc

billc AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    united state- Co Nm Mt Wy Pa , canada ,mexico ,south africa- Northwest, Limpopo, freestste.Northern cape,East cape, namibia
    well there you go that all make sense to me. I like it just need to go catch a redfish one of these day s

gizmo likes this.

9. Royal27

Royal27 AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    USA - TX, CO, GA. Africa - Zimbabwe and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
    Put up the bass too!

I'm just glad I reminded you to put a red dot on the tail. ;)

gizmo likes this.

10. Ridgewalker

Ridgewalker AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
    Interesting, but I'll bet yours is a little chewyer than the ones I've caught in the gulf from my kayak:p.
    I think you need to do a tigerfish and I need to catch it!

Royal27 and gizmo like this.

11. cpr0312

cpr0312 AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe
    Nice, look forward to the bass!

gizmo likes this.

12. gillettehunter

gillettehunter AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(2) New Zealand
    Bit of a process and need some artist in you to make it work. Fun to see the steps. Bruce

gizmo likes this.

13. buck wild

buck wild AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI Brush Country Chapter
    Hunted:
    Limpopo, SA; Mexico; Texas
    Spot might be a little large and most are higher then the center line on the tail. I agree all fish are different but unless you are painting a specific fish, then you'll want to come with the best "average" color so it can be replicated as you get better. Probably not something they teach you at school,but when painting a fiberglass fish it helps to prime white followed by a silver metallic base coat over the white. It will given the fish a better base coat and prevent light from pentrating through the backside of the fish blank. The silver will give the fish metallic color of saltwater fish. I use 7-9 different colors and gloss between layers. This will give your paint depth. The back edge of the tail will have a iridescent blue at the end and the head actually has almost a complete different color scheme than the side. It almost has a green/aqua opaque color. There are several iridescent colors that will soften the paint scheme. Great good thing about repo fish- easy to strip and keep practicing !
    Wait until you do a speckeled trout

If you want I could give you a few of my saltwater paint schemes. Living in Corpus Christi on the water I have studied the main Texas coastal fish

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017

14. Aaron Nietfeld

Aaron Nietfeld AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Canada, South Africa
    It's a dream of mine to tail some Texas reds!

gizmo likes this.

15. gizmo

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Man thank you so much and yes please I'd love to have copies of your paint schedules. I knew the spot wasn't right but I was trying to go by memory on that particular fish. I need to look at the picture when I get home but I remembered the spot being unusual. I am going to print your critique and put it in my fish book for reference in the future. Thank you.

rinehart0050 and Royal27 like this.

16. buck wild

buck wild AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI Brush Country Chapter
    Hunted:
    Limpopo, SA; Mexico; Texas
    Give me a few days as I'm not with my reference stuff at the moment. I'll email you a few things. Keep after it

gizmo likes this.

17. rinehart0050

rinehart0050 GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, South Africa (NWP, Limpopo, Eastern Cape); USA (NE, AZ, TX)
    Very cool Gizmo. I really enjoyed seeing how the painting progressed.

Keep this stuff coming- fascinating

gizmo likes this.

18. gizmo

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Thank you very much.

19. ArmyGrunt

ArmyGrunt AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa
    I'm surprised by the fact that fish mounts are zero part fish. I guess I expected you'd keep the skin like on mammals, but it doesn't seem to make sense now. I know I've never been able to salvage skin when I've cleaned them. But I've never intended to either.
    Until my trip to SA I'd never tried to cape a rabbit. The property manager's kid wanted it as a rug for the kitchen table, and I wanted R8 eat it, so win-win!

20. gizmo

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    You can absolutely skin mount a fish. Reproduction mounts have become very popular as the last longer and look better than a fish skin mount plus you can release the fish.

jasyblood likes this.