Ever OK to shoot from a truck?

That's not fair chase. You're supposed to sit out there and freeze your ass off for a couple hours. :E Rofl:
Lol. Too funny!
Coyotes are a different story all together. In SD I used to sling my .223 over my shoulder in the winter and head out on my snowmobile. One would jump out a half mile away and I’d pin the throttle, catch up to within shooting range, stop and shoot. Too much fun. And legal as long as you got off to shoot. Which I did. That’s the most fun part anyway. I hate coyotes and consider it more in the way of population control than hunting. Between calling, trapping, snaring, and chasing I would get between 30 and 50 per year in my spare time...and barely touch the population. Enough to score a nice little .22 Ruger pistol and a 9mm sig sauer from the hide sales.

CEB368CC-916A-462D-8729-4382CD1FD3E6.jpeg

Get back to us when you turn 70 years of age and still want to hunt.
I have no problems with people whose body does not allow them to it on foot anymore I have some back injuries so I understand your point. I just dont like it when people are to lazy and just want to sit on the bakkie and just shoot with some refreshments

The term I always relate to is “fair chase”. I believe it’s up to the individual to decide what the definition is. It’s likely a little different for everyone and it may even change as time progresses. For me, as long as it’s a legal hunt, who am I to judge what another person deems “fair chase”?
Their situation may not be the same as mine and I don’t know what that situation is.

Besides, if we all agreed on everything and did everything exactly the same, what would we have to talk about? ;)
@ Randy F
If'n I was to try and walk some of the areas I hunt I wouldn't get far at all.
I do a thing called DIESEL STALKING.
I use my 4x4 to cover country and my far lookers(binoculars) for a better view.
When game is located I then try and stalk it.
My old body complains at hills that are steeper than a flat sheet of newspaper. My son on the other hand goes up hill like a mountain goat.
I give him the Bushnell back track and let him loose and meet him a a pre p rogramed point at a pre arranged time.
Bob

@ Randy F
My old body complains at hills that are steeper than a flat sheet of newspaper. My son on the other hand goes up hill like a mountain goat.
I give him the Bushnell back track and let him loose and meet him a a pre p rogramed point at a pre arranged time.
Bob
:) Perfect!

I hear of some people hunting Steen buck and such at night with spotlights. Sounds like fun and I would probably enjoy it but I wouldn't want the "truck hunting" to be the entire safari.
Back in the good old days Canadian deer hunters typically used spotlights at night.
I have to admit it sounds fun too lol

@ Randy F
Bob
I couldn’t agree more. When the day comes I’m not opposed to a wheel chair and a winch to get the job done. Or a walker if that’s what it takes...good gun rest if I’m able to use it.

I hear of some people hunting Steen buck and such at night with spotlights. Sounds like fun and I would probably enjoy it but I wouldn't want the "truck hunting" to be the entire safari.
Back in the good old days Canadian deer hunters typically used spotlights at night.
Lol. Yep. Ever wonder why the laws were introduced? I can just about imagine the stories that brought them about.

Is it okay to shoot from a truck? Sure.

Is it ethical to hunt from a truck? No. Not unless there is a serious health condition that suggests this is the only possible means to overcome such a severe disability and still enjoy a sport. (e.g. that due to disability, it is far from a sure thing that it will result in a shot from a truck)

It all depends on what you're doing from a truck. If you're managing your land and killing a predator or pest that is harmful to your conservation plan for the environment, killing it from a truck may be ethical, but not remotely sporting. Shooting from a truck to manage pest wildlife is no less ethical than using a snare, trap, poison, or other instrument of death. But then again, nobody wears a t-shirt bragging about poisoning nuisance wildlife any more than someone posts photos of all the dead rats they killed in traps around their barn on hunting forums. There is a difference between killing and hunting.

But if you're hunting, it isn't fair chase and is not a particularly sporting thing to do.

I couldn’t agree more. When the day comes I’m not opposed to a wheel chair and a winch to get the job done. Or a walker if that’s what it takes...good gun rest if I’m able to use it.
@RandyF
I agree mate. When I get to old I'll just take a long walk in a,short paddock.
Bob

Well, the just subject of this post ought to elicit some strong responses. :LOL:

I've always seen, and agreed with, the opinion that shooting from the back of a safari vehicle is unacceptable and unsportsmanlike. However, we all know that there are no absolutes in life. So, the question is not really if it is ever OK, but when is it OK to shoot from the truck? If you saw a very sick or injured animal, that you could not approach on foot, would you shoot from the truck to put it out of its misery?

I once found myself in a situation where I finished my hunt early, but had a few days until my flight home. The first thing that happened was that the manager (who was also my PH) told me that they needed some meat for the staff and we'd go out and shoot some. To give a little more context, it was a late season hunt 9early November) and the vegetation was leafing out, so visibility was becoming a problem.

We drove around until we spotted a gemsbok. It was an old, mature bull with a broken horn. Out came the guns and we had one gemsbok for camp meat. After lunch, we went out again and this time, it was a blue wildebeest. In both cases, the elevation afforded by the truck made it quicker and easier (possible?) to make the shot. They had a hunter coming in a few days for a leopard hunt and needed bait. So, warthogs (his preference for bait) were next on the list.

So, by this point, I'm pretty sure that many folks are already thinking about how strongly to word their flaming response. But, seriously, how wrong was it? These animals were not taken for sport. It was just a job that needed done and shooting from the truck was the most efficient way to do it.

Have fun with this!
as long as the wondows down

I’ll whack any coyote I see out of the truck window. It’s not hunting, it’s public service!

I don’t hunt from a vehicle, but when I can’t walk anymore I’ll do what I have to to keep hunting!

I shot a steenbok with my bow at night out of a truck and it really felt more like a execution than hunting, didn't take the trophy home as I didn't want to look at it and remind myself of the the "HUNT"

Get back to us when you turn 70 years of age and still want to hunt.

I´ll turn 70 next month, unless the area closes for COVID, I will take an Ibex for my birthday, walking.

Next year I have a hippo hunt planned, plus a few piggies and such, walking.

The day I can´t walk the fields, I will reconsider if I want to continue hunting.

:D Cheers:

I´ll turn 70 next month, unless the area closes for COVID, I will take an Ibex for my birthday, walking.

Next year I have a hippo hunt planned, plus a few piggies and such, walking.

The day I can´t walk the fields, I will reconsider if I want to continue hunting.

And if you go back the third year you can get a hippo replacement. :);)

Last edited:
And if you go back the third year you can get a hippo replacement. :);)

Well...my hippo is still fine, I did have minor surgery on both my knees, which prevent me from running, jumping, and such, but I can still walk all day long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois