Ever OK to shoot from a truck?

Wait ? Is there a thread about this? Any reviews in the review section? Lol
Does the poacher’s pack of dogs count? I did some of my best longer range running shooting off the back of the truck that day 4/5

Truth be told, we all need to go back to wearing loincloths and use spears or stick bows and wooden arrows. Now THAT'S hunting. :E Rofl:

Wouldn't it be OK to shoot poachers from a truck, lol
@steve white
Mate poachers are fair game from any platform you choose. Calibers and range don't matter either. There's not ethics when it comes to poaching so why should we be ethical in shooting them. The more wounds before death the better. The removal of body parts while they are still alive is also acceptable.
Bob

Hunting big game is called management and is mainly seen as a management tool over here, shooting from a car is legal, in some areas the only way the landowner or the forestry agency will let you shoot is from your car. This way they think you are not a disturbing the recreationists.

Luckily 99% of the Roe deer where I hunt/manage is taken either by stalking or in a high seat. If I shoot from out of a car it is pest control (i.e. crows, jackdawns, pigeons and the occasional geese).

Hunting the 5 game species during the hunting season(i.e. Wood pigeon, pheasant, mallard, hare and rabbit) is not allowed from a car.

So for me I call hunting roe deer if stalked or taken from a high seat. If shot from a car I would not call it hunted. But I do not have a problem with it either.

To each his own.

Hunting big game is called management and is mainly seen as a management tool over here, shooting from a car is legal, in some areas the only way the landowner or the forestry agency will let you shoot is from your car. This way they think you are not a disturbing the recreationists.

Luckily 99% of the Roe deer where I hunt/manage is taken either by stalking or in a high seat. If I shoot from out of a car it is pest control (i.e. crows, jackdawns, pigeons and the occasional geese).

Hunting the 5 game species during the hunting season(i.e. Wood pigeon, pheasant, mallard, hare and rabbit) is not allowed from a car.

So for me I call hunting roe deer if stalked or taken from a high seat. If shot from a car I would not call it hunted. But I do not have a problem with it either.

To each his own.

What is a Jackdawn?

Sure.... to each there own & for what reason/ species.... in TX it’s not uncommon to night hunt predators & hogs from vehicle (truck, UTV, etc) with spot lights, night vision, thermal, etc...

However, that would not happen in the same place, by the same hunters for different game (deer, Turkey, Ducks, etc)...

Different circumstances....

Growing up, I spent countless hours in the fields and forests surrounding my home. I thought I was hunting, and called myself a hunter. It wasn't until I took up the pursuit of the ruffed grouse that I learned what hunting was. You're in their back yard and they know why you are there. Some days I might take home a grouse or two, often none. Didn't much matter. It was the day afield working with my dog that was the joy. My 'hunting' prior to grouse amounted to me lying in ambush waiting for a game animal or fowl to happen into range.

Now, trudging up and down in the Appalachian mountains for four months a year have taken a toll on my knees and other parts. So, my hunting ambitions have turned to Africa. Now at 72 with compromised knees this topic has me doing some soul searching. I see little difference in shooting from a vehicle and shooting from a blind overlooking a watering hole. Maybe include from a blind over bait. Dunno. I want to experience Africa as a thirty something but that has passed. I guess I'll just work it out with my PH on a day by day basis.

Peace.

The big problem I have with bakkie hunters is as of late is. People want to shoot at long ranges and compete against each other with rifles that look like they belong on a bench rest competition. But thats just shooting and is fine for varmint. But I love doing the leg work and going on a walk and stalk

The big problem I have with bakkie hunters is as of late is. People want to shoot at long ranges and compete against each other with rifles that look like they belong on a bench rest competition. But thats just shooting and is fine for varmint. But I love doing the leg work and going on a walk and stalk

Get back to us when you turn 70 years of age and still want to hunt.

The little Series 1 Land Rovers are my insurance policy for old age, when it inevitably arrives! The front seats are so easy to get in and out of, you more sit on it than in it. Then you can get to anywhere for spot, and a short stalk thereafter if you are up to that. As to shoot from the vehicle, as Grouser says, case by case when that time comes, but I would never critisize you for doing so Grouser, good on you for keeping on the trail!
This was the predecessor of the Landys, no 4x4 but it was so light we just manhandled it out of situations. Sort of like a modern Mini Moke.
95A28EE1-0AF4-44BD-8C11-38664604DBC0.jpeg

The term I always relate to is “fair chase”. I believe it’s up to the individual to decide what the definition is. It’s likely a little different for everyone and it may even change as time progresses. For me, as long as it’s a legal hunt, who am I to judge what another person deems “fair chase”?
Their situation may not be the same as mine and I don’t know what that situation is.

Besides, if we all agreed on everything and did everything exactly the same, what would we have to talk about? ;)

The little Series 1 Land Rovers are my insurance policy for old age, when it inevitably arrives! The front seats are so easy to get in and out of, you more sit on it than in it. Then you can get to anywhere for spot, and a short stalk thereafter if you are up to that. As to shoot from the vehicle, as Grouser says, case by case when that time comes, but I would never critisize you for doing so Grouser, good on you for keeping on the trail!
This was the predecessor of the Landys, no 4x4 but it was so light we just manhandled it out of situations. Sort of like a modern Mini Moke.View attachment 367316
Love it! I want a ride!

This was the predecessor of the Landys, no 4x4 but it was so light we just manhandled it out of situations. Sort of like a modern Mini Moke.View attachment 367316

Awesome little vehicle! What year is it? Mid 50’s?

I’ll have to settle for my Polaris Ranger 570 UTV for my low to the ground go anywhere vehicle..

It gets the job done.. but not nearly as cool as the Series 1 does... :)

I've shot hogs off the hood of trucks and even out the window but I think it would only be an option for me in Africa if I wasn't able to stalk on foot. Not much different than hunting from a blind
And most of my experience with shooting out the window of trucks took place in South Texas where damn near anything is legal on private property . I had a good time lol

Awesome little vehicle! What year is it? Mid 50’s?

I’ll have to settle for my Polaris Ranger 570 UTV for my low to the ground go anywhere vehicle..

It gets the job done.. but not nearly as cool as the Series 1 does... :)
The series 1 Land Rovers are 1950 and 1954, the little green one is 1990, made in Wales, UK, called a Scout. It was indeed great fun, three hunters and a Labrador in that little thing. Now sold in part exchange for one of the Series 1's, the guy wanted it for his kids.

You see a coyote jogging along a distant fence row in the winter,my window is rolling dow!

That's not fair chase. You're supposed to sit out there and freeze your ass off for a couple hours. :E Rofl:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg