AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life
Hunted
Namibia, RSA, Canada (Sask, BC, NWT, Nunavut), US (NY, PA, TX, CO, NE, SD, ID, AK)
Well, the just subject of this post ought to elicit some strong responses. :LOL:

I've always seen, and agreed with, the opinion that shooting from the back of a safari vehicle is unacceptable and unsportsmanlike. However, we all know that there are no absolutes in life. So, the question is not really if it is ever OK, but when is it OK to shoot from the truck? If you saw a very sick or injured animal, that you could not approach on foot, would you shoot from the truck to put it out of its misery?

I once found myself in a situation where I finished my hunt early, but had a few days until my flight home. The first thing that happened was that the manager (who was also my PH) told me that they needed some meat for the staff and we'd go out and shoot some. To give a little more context, it was a late season hunt 9early November) and the vegetation was leafing out, so visibility was becoming a problem.

We drove around until we spotted a gemsbok. It was an old, mature bull with a broken horn. Out came the guns and we had one gemsbok for camp meat. After lunch, we went out again and this time, it was a blue wildebeest. In both cases, the elevation afforded by the truck made it quicker and easier (possible?) to make the shot. They had a hunter coming in a few days for a leopard hunt and needed bait. So, warthogs (his preference for bait) were next on the list.

So, by this point, I'm pretty sure that many folks are already thinking about how strongly to word their flaming response. But, seriously, how wrong was it? These animals were not taken for sport. It was just a job that needed done and shooting from the truck was the most efficient way to do it.

Have fun with this!

Well, the just subject of this post ought to elicit some strong responses. :LOL:

I've always seen, and agreed with, the opinion that shooting from the back of a safari vehicle is unacceptable and unsportsmanlike. However, we all know that there are no absolutes in life. So, the question is not really if it is ever OK, but when is it OK to shoot from the truck? If you saw a very sick or injured animal, that you could not approach on foot, would you shoot from the truck to put it out of its misery?

I once found myself in a situation where I finished my hunt early, but had a few days until my flight home. The first thing that happened was that the manager (who was also my PH) told me that they needed some meat for the staff and we'd go out and shoot some. To give a little more context, it was a late season hunt 9early November) and the vegetation was leafing out, so visibility was becoming a problem.

We drove around until we spotted a gemsbok. It was an old, mature bull with a broken horn. Out came the guns and we had one gemsbok for camp meat. After lunch, we went out again and this time, it was a blue wildebeest. In both cases, the elevation afforded by the truck made it quicker and easier (possible?) to make the shot. They had a hunter coming in a few days for a leopard hunt and needed bait. So, warthogs (his preference for bait) were next on the list.

So, by this point, I'm pretty sure that many folks are already thinking about how strongly to word their flaming response. But, seriously, how wrong was it? These animals were not taken for sport. It was just a job that needed done and shooting from the truck was the most efficient way to do it.

Have fun with this!

I've shot cattle from the bed of a truck for use in abattoirs, but that was not hunting simply a job that needed doing.

I see nothing wrong with truck hunting for the disabled. Or those with limited mobility.

Who among us would honestly turn down the chance at a leopard from elephant back?

To answer your question, yes. IF you are shooting, not hunting. I have twice also, for camp meat once and once to finish a wounded animal (not mine)
We have many different ethnicities here on A.H. Some would never pursue a deer with dogs, some would not hunt over a bait pile or waterhole, some would never shoot from a vehicle. Also, some locations do not allow shooting from a vehicle. I agree, this should elicit passionate and varied responses.

That sounds fair to me. You were not hunting as such.
People shoot pests from the vehicle, in Australia people harvest Roos from a vehicle with spotlights it’s the only way really.
My mate was offered a shot from a vehicle on a deer n and Australian game reserve. He declined he went there to hunt! Fair call. He will happily shoot rabbits and foxes from the vehicle. That’s shooting not hunting and he eats rabbits
Culling, harvesting or pest management or opportunistic shooting do not constitute sport or hunting, just don’t use the word out of context.
I went to South Africa for a management hunt, cull hunt. Over dinner the first night in Africa we discussed my interests and they said you are not a collector. Fair call no I am not a collector I have photos of my hunt, it was done on foot some distance from the vehicle. But I went for the experience and the opportunity to hunt Africa on a budget. That was all I wanted. If they offered shooting from the car I would have only accepted if it was as the OP described. Actually we did take a spotlight to look for a Jackal but did not see one.

If you’ve worked hard all day and on the drive out see your animal just off the road are you going to pass? I see no difference shooting from vehicle (if legal) compared to taking 2 steps out and shooting. This is especially true in a wild area where you may not have other opportunities. I’d rather see the animal harvested and the meat and money go to the use its intended for than have nothing. A “hunt” where you just drive up and shoot, no I don’t think is ethical, but occasional shooting from a vehicle where it is part of the overall hunt where you had to work and search for your animals I see no problem with. I will put my own personal line at dangerous game though, I want to get out and track a buffalo.

On my last hunt in RSA we went out one night hunting warthog from the back of the truck with spotlights. That was SOP for them.

I think for night hunting and culling, it would be deemed fine. Also, for those with physical limitations. As stated previously, I think it is what your intent should be. Like the home I went into once that was decorated with taxidermy. The owner had never hunted but liked the look for his decorations. He states such, and I could appreciate that. If he had told me he had actually hunted the animals and then I found that to be untrue, I would have a different opinion. If one shoots from a truck and then tells a glorious tale of the hunt, well then they have only cheated themselves of the experience. Some of my best hunting memories are of the failures to succeed, or of the one that got away.

The definition between hunting and shooting is going to be debated here...

hunting, no I would not unless you have special circumstances.
Seeing a trophy off the side of the cruiser is not special circumstance, get off, go stalk and hunt the animal.
In Zambia it is illegal, you should be minimum 200m from the car. I’m not sure about other countries.

shooting wounded animals, dying or crippled if the relevant authority approves, sure. No problem. Shooting for meat, no problem for me.
much is up to personal opinion here.

It depends on the situation and the ethics of the hunter.
I have no problem shooting a jackal from a truck and have done so on a couple of occasions.
I've sat on a truck and shot a warthog for bait.
To me, that's acceptable.

However, that is shooting, not hunting. I don't consider it to be hunting to sit on a truck and shoot trophy animals.

I want to walk, stalk and actively hunt.

For some people it isn't possible, less able bodied for example. They should be able to enjoy hunting but if they can't do so then shooting from a truck or blind is their only way to get in the field.

So, my thoughts are that it's down to the individual and which way their moral and ethical compass points.

There are too many videos out there of hunters shooting from vehicles and I don't watch them and have no idea how they can be whooping and high fiving because they've sat down, been driven to an animal and they've just shot it.
They didn't hunt it in my opinion.

For meat, for bait, for vermin control no problem but for a trophy animal?
Get some miles on your boots and go hunting.

A good question and undoubtedly many different answers will be forthcoming.

There is no right or wrong answer, it's an individual choice and also governed by laws and the PH. Some don't allow it full stop.

Well, I think it depends what you want- shooting from the back of a bakkie is just that- shooting. It's not hunting, but that's okay too. If you're looking to stock the freezer in a day, not much more effective than a good moving rest (bakkie) and a good shooter.

"When in Rome" comes to mind. My PH was more than fine with it. I had never hunted from a "bakkie", and honestly found it quite enjoyable, in a weird way.

As previously stated, if you're comfortable with it, enjoy the hunt, and to the nay sayers that say it's not hunting, F**k'em. If you are having a good time, then who is anyone else out there to tell you you're not hunting properly? I gave up on trying to hunt the way others said I should. Instead, wait for it, ,,,,,,,,,,,,, I hunt legally, plain and simple! I'm having a great time.

Many would be surprised in how many countries it is illegal to shoot from the back of a truck and how man accidents have also happened as a result......there is a huge difference between driving around shooting from a truck and actually hunting....
and to all the overweight and lazy ones who prefer this well I hope I never need to guide you....

Culling, predator/varmint control and accommodating people with disabilities is a different matter.....

Of course each will have their own opinion.....

Personally I prefer walk and stalk and being able to outwit what I am hunting on foot like a lion or leopard....

Imagine driving around and following elephant in the truck and then jostling in to position for the shot.....my oh my....I could not....and then positioning the truck alongside the elephant with Mr X in the hot seat at the back for the photo shoot...

Well I ques sometimes it is good to be old school.....I hunt on foot and yes I do shoot of the truck, when culling impala at night or shooting jackals and caracal while calling during varmint control but not when hunting....

To each their own but" to the nay sayers that say it's not hunting, F**k'em" well in such case I gues it is f**k me then.....

Killing stuff shooting from a vehicle is awesome . . . do it all of the time . . . even better from a helicopter. I have also walked up to 8 suckling pigs drinking from a dead mother and summarily killed them all. Primarily on the TX ranch where hogs, coyotes, etc are on the loose and damaging cattle. Did I like it? No; I felt terrible (about the piglets). Point being, there is a massive difference between an able bodied person killing for meat, crop/habitat protection etc. and in a manner that is "fun" vs. hunting a trophy animal in a sporting fashion. I personally would not purposefully shoot an Elephant off of a vehicle but have absolutely no remorse crushing coyotes and hogs out of my cattle field from a heli. You will know the line and how to walk it when you get there.

Hunting is hunting, shooting is shooting. People in Australia go pig shooting for the weekend. That is common and most just want to shoot pigs and active numbers.
We have many who hunt with dogs, they are Pig hunters. In some cases that does attract the wrong crowd, poachers, rough nuts and hooligans. Some are sportsman others are feral like the game they pursue. Most are better than the next bloke and many say you need dogs to get pigs it’s more effective. I disagree with that a competent shooter will take numerous pigs from a mob in the right situation even with. Bolt action. Dogs find what you don’t see but they take selectively from the mob.
If I was after a trophy I would walk and hunt. If I walk the creek after work to look for a pig to shoot I may call it a hunt. If I shoot pigs fro a car opportunistically it’s pig shooting if I a spotlighting rabbits from a car even for meat it’s rabbit shooting.
The only deer I have shot have bee from a car or using a car as a rest it was opportunistic and i shot them as they are a pest in the area and mostly attract poachers.
I hunted Africa albeit a management hunt as I did not want trophies. I shot animals but I hunted them wit her a PH and tracker. The met was taken for use.

I shot a steenbok out of the truck at night with my bow and to me it didn't feel that I hunted him it felt more like I took unfair advantage. It was more killing than than hunting. A steenbok is high on my list but not that way, I didn't even bring the horns back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg