European Parliament Calls For More Flexibility In Implementing EU Nature Legislation

AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
Last November the European Parliament voted by an overwhelming majority (612 in favour and 33 against) to adopt a resolution which is positive for hunting and nature conservation.

One of the most important points of the resolution is that Parliament encourages the European Commission to change the legal protection status of species under EU law as soon as the desired conservation status is reached.

Large carnivores, especially the wolf, were explicitly mentioned. Many of the EU’s large carnivore populations are currently listed as “strictly protected,” despite having reached favourable conservation status. Such strict protection renders meaningful management, including hunting, much more difficult.

Ahead of the vote, SCI worked closely with the Nordic Hunters’ Alliance and the European Federation of Associations for Hunting and Conservation (FACE) to achieve a greater understanding among EU decision makers of the need for a more flexible approach in the implementation of the EU nature legislation.

SCI’s views have been taken seriously, and that the discussion now focuses more on adaptive management, where local and regional characteristics should be taken into account.

In its final resolution text, the European Parliament underlines that “the coexistence between people and conflict species, such as large carnivores, can have negative impacts on parts of the agriculture sector and other socio-economic activities.”

The Parliament therefore calls on the Commission and the Member States to consider further measures to address these issues.

In terms of bird conservation, the Parliament follows the same line of flexibility and calls on the Commission to consider especially adaptive harvest management as a best practice tool to manage water bird populations sustainably within the EU.

It is now up to the Commission and the national Governments across the EU to make the best use of this opportunity and encouragement given by the Parliament for a better and more flexible management of nature and wildlife across the EU.

The full text of the resolution can be found here.

Source: Safari Club International (SCI)

Attachments

• getDoc.do.pdf
    185.1 KB · Views: 133

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois