Euro Taxidermy in Africa

Bigugly

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
USA, WA, OR, ID, WY, KS
First timer here. Sorry if this topic has been covered elsewhere.

Im going to Limpopo and am getting a Buffalo and 2 other Plainsgame animals.

I have selected these animals knowing in advance that i want them to be done in Euro fashion with a wood Plaque on the plains game.

Who should I use to do the euro work?

Do they offer a pick up service at the gamefarm or will it be my responsibility to get them to the taxidermist?

Im 18 mo out but how would i get a rough idea of how much to crate and ship them to the USA?

Sorry for all of the questions but any help is appreciated.

Sean

BourbonTrail

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA (AZ, KY, MO, NM, VA)
Pickup depends on your outfitters and who you are shipping with.

Shipping prices vary as a function of time and method (currently very high, but dropping).

Talk to Tom @TROPHY SHIPPERS about shipping.

Euro mounts…I will defer to others for recommendations.

Rell

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Almost certainly they work with taxidermists already and the taxidermists pick up trophies at most places.

I’ve worked with 6-8 taxidermists and my favorite two are Karoo Taxidermy and Life Form.

Make sure to specify wood type on the plaque. Some African woods have very light and dark streaks that don’t look right to my eye. Just make sure you know what you want and specify it.

Bigugly

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
USA, WA, OR, ID, WY, KS
Pickup depends on your outfitters and who you are shipping with.

Shipping prices vary as a function of time and method (currently very high, but dropping).

Talk to Tom @TROPHY SHIPPERS about shipping.

Euro mounts…I will defer to others for recommendations.
I just reached out to Tom @ Trophy Shippers. I left him a message.

I also emailed my outfitter and asked about what Taxidermist they used.

We will see what they come back with.

Bigugly

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
USA, WA, OR, ID, WY, KS
Anyone care to guess or speculate how much in total it would cost to get a Euro Buffalo skull/horns, a Eland Skull and a gemsbok euro back to the west coast of the USA at todays rate? Im just looking at a neighborhood. $1500, $3000, $10000, what? trying to budget as best i can. Also, at what point do i pay Trophy shippers?

Ryan

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Black Sheep Bowmen Archery Club.
Hunted
Namibia and South Africa
I have skull mounts of four of my seven animals from a year ago done by Safari Taxidermy out of Polokwane, including a buffalo. From pictures I've received I'm happy. The shipper has them all and working on getting them to me. The buffalo has complicated things since Delta won't ship big five animals after the Cecil the lion hoopla. Anyway, there isn't a taxidermist over there that doesn't do them, I've had them done by three different ones. And chances are your outfitter will take them to the taxidermist if it's within an easy drive, or they'll coordinate a pick up.

Buffalo skull mount should be in the $400-500 range, the others probably $ 300-400. A couple hundred for crating. No idea on shipping right now, but that'll will be a relatively small box, so that helps.

Last edited:

Bigugly

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
USA, WA, OR, ID, WY, KS
I have skull mounts of four of my seven animals from a year ago done by Safari Taxidermy out of Polokwane, including a buffalo. From pictures I've received I'm happy. The shipper has them all and working on getting them to me. The buffalo has complicated things since Delta won't ship big five animals after the Cecil the lion hoopla. Anyway, there isn't a taxidermist over there that doesn't do them, I've had them done by three different ones. And chances are your outfitter will take them to the taxidermist if it's within an easy drive, or they'll coordinate a pick up.

Buffalo skull mount should be in the $400-500 range, the others probably $ 300-400. A couple hundred for crating. No idea on shipping right now, but that'll will be a relatively small box, so that helps.
Yeah, based on the websites of some places ive checked, the taxidermy should run about $1200 or so. Its the shipping that has me worried.

Question for Trophy shippers is; do i have an option of air vs Ocean freight?

Ryan

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Namibia and South Africa
Ocean freight for something like this is a rare thing anymore. Ocean cargo involves containers of freight. It'll fly.

Nyati

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
I do dip and pack in Africa, polishing and final mounting at home.

375Fox

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Zambia, Namibia, South Africa
Anyone care to guess or speculate how much in total it would cost to get a Euro Buffalo skull/horns, a Eland Skull and a gemsbok euro back to the west coast of the USA at todays rate? Im just looking at a neighborhood. $1500, $3000, $10000, what? trying to budget as best i can. Also, at what point do i pay Trophy shippers?
After your safari you will make 3 separate payments. The first payment will be to taxidermy in Africa to prepare your trophies to ship shortly after your hunt. The taxidermy will then deliver your trophies to a shipping agent once they finish their work. You will then pay the shipping agent in Africa to ship your trophies to a port of entry in the United States. I’d estimate $700-$1000 for your crate. The next payment will be to a clearance agent in the United States (such as trophy shippers) when it arrives in USA several months after your hunt. They will clear your trophies and forward to final destination in USA. I’d estimate $700-$1000 again on this. There will be a clearance fee plus some miscellaneous charges that vary on each invoice.

Bigugly

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
USA, WA, OR, ID, WY, KS
After your safari you will make 3 separate payments. The first payment will be to taxidermy in Africa to prepare your trophies to ship shortly after your hunt. The taxidermy will then deliver your trophies to a shipping agent once they finish their work. You will then pay the shipping agent in Africa to ship your trophies to a port of entry in the United States. I’d estimate $700-$1000 for your crate. The next payment will be to a clearance agent in the United States (such as trophy shippers) when it arrives in USA several months after your hunt. They will clear your trophies and forward to final destination in USA. I’d estimate $700-$1000 again on this. There will be a clearance fee plus some miscellaneous charges that vary on each invoice.
This is exactly the info im looking for. Thank you.

SPLITTING IMAGE TAXIDERMY

Sponsor
Since 2021
AH senior member
Reaction score
Website
www.splittingimagetaxidermy.co.za
Deals & offers
Media
Member of
SCI, DSC, PHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Botswana, Namibia, Zambia
First timer here. Sorry if this topic has been covered elsewhere.

Im going to Limpopo and am getting a Buffalo and 2 other Plainsgame animals.

I have selected these animals knowing in advance that i want them to be done in Euro fashion with a wood Plaque on the plains game.

Who should I use to do the euro work?

Do they offer a pick up service at the gamefarm or will it be my responsibility to get them to the taxidermist?

Im 18 mo out but how would i get a rough idea of how much to crate and ship them to the USA?

Sorry for all of the questions but any help is appreciated.

Sean
Hi there.
You are more than welcome to reach out to us at info@splittingimagetaxidermy.co.za for a quote.
We can collect and arrange shipping for you as well.
Kind Regards,

Don Hinton

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Cape buffalo plains game
Doing same mounts with buffalo and giraffe from this past September. Using Highveld in SA
don

Ryan

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Namibia and South Africa
If you're near a port with USFWS and CBP you can clear it there yourself and save a bunch. People did it all the time in Anchorage. I wish I cpuld this go around but mine will have to be cleared in Seattle before going on a barge up to Anchorage this time.

PARA45

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
South Africa, Nicaragua, FL, CA, SD, GA, SC, CO
Doing same mounts with buffalo and giraffe from this past September. Using Highveld in SA
don

I used them, and I got totally screwed by them. Very unprofessional shop. When I get to my computer I’ll post a pic of the sh*tty work they did. :mad: Never again.

PARA45

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
South Africa, Nicaragua, FL, CA, SD, GA, SC, CO
This is the kind of work I got from them. :mad::mad:

IMPALA.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
De Wet Hunting Safaris

Latest profile posts

Tom Leoni wrote on Nyati67's profile.
Nyatyi, what's the tube dia. on your S&B?
Brian wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
CM,
That is nice work! I would like that cartridge slide for 50-110 Win. I would also use it for 500 S&W. Six cartridge loops would be perfect for me.

I will send you payment immediately.

Thank you,
Akunasek wrote on Jager Waffen74's profile.
do you still have the Ithaca 10 ga semi auto?
kdenn wrote on TROPHY SHIPPERS's profile.
Afternoon, going to South Africa August 22 hunting with wife. will need your help with trophies. what information and how soon do you need it? went to the website and completed the form but seems i have negative energy or something with electronic communication often.
thanks for your help
ken dennison
Docpk wrote on Jager Waffen74's profile.
I would but the Swarovski scope