Euro Mounts & Fully Tanned Hides: Full Cost Breakdown & Photos

DCN

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
I couldn’t stomach the thought of coming home from my first African hunting safari (Namibia / May 2015) without any taxidermy whatsoever. However, cost was a concern. The compromise ended up being 3 euro mounts (Kudu, Springbuck and Blue Wildebeest) and 4 fully tanned hides (Hartmann's Mountain Zebra, Kudu, Springbuck and Blue Wildebeest).

For those looking to do taxidermy on a “budget” this will hopefully give you a sense of what you will be signing up for. In total, to Toronto (Canada), the cost was $2,526.54 USD all in or $3,445.07 CDN. Surprisingly, it only took 10 months.

TROPHAENDIENSTE (Taxidermy): $1,300.10 USD ($1,785.93 CDN)

Kudu Euro Mount: $162.00 USD
Tanning of Full Hide: $147.00 USD

Springbuck Euro Mount:$112.00 USD
Tanning of Full Hide: $59.00 USD

Wildebeest Euro Mount:$162.00 USD
Tanning of Full Hide: $156.00 USD

Zebra Tanning of Hide: $276.00 USD

Packing: $161.10 USD

Administration Fee: $65.00 USD

Notes: I was very pleased with both my packaging and with the quick timing. There was no damage. Great communication throughout. I asked that they not oil the horns on the Kudu and the Wildebeest and was pleased that they remembered. I thought that their prices were, for the most part, reasonable and would use Trophaendienste again.

NAMIBIA SAFARI SERVICES (Shipping) $731 USD ($1,022.62 CDN)

$198.60 USD: Pre-carriage charges, including handling, labeling, export permits and certificates, customs declaration, veterinary transit certificates, facility and packing material fee

$500.00 USD: Airfreight from Windhoek to Toronto based on a chargeable weight of 50.00 kg

$32.40 USD: Basic Transport insurance cover

Notes: No complaints. Very good communication. I wondered if the total price was somewhat high but never bothered to check elsewhere. Of note, I paid only $160 CDN more to get myself and my luggage to and from Namibia. My luggage and I weighed considerably more, the taxidermy was only one way and didn't consume any wine. I suspect that I would use them again unless I found a lower cost option without much effort.

SHAMROCK (Customs Brokers) $494.54 USD ($636.52 CDN)

$85.31 CDN: Government Goods and Services Tax (GST) on Taxidermy

$186.73 CDN: Government Inspection Fee

$169.50 CDN: Shamrock's Brokerage Fee (inclusive of GST)

$195.00 CDN: Terminal and Storage Fees (Swissport Cargo Services)

Notes: Shamrock was incredible to work with. Very informative with excellent communication. I would definitely use Shamrock Customs Brokers again. Also, kudos to Swissport who took $90 off my bill (3 days storage) as a result of feeling sorry for how long it took the Canadian Government to "inspect" my taxidermy (which was partly a result of an extra long weekend on account of Easter Holiday in Canada). Inspection is not mandatory in Canada. For whatever reason, I was selected and had the privilege of paying the Government an additional $186.73 on account of it.

A heartfelt thank you to the Forum and its Members for the help along the way. I hope this level of detail assists someone starting out in making a decision about whether or not to bring home taxidermy.

Enjoy the photos.

Cheers,

DCN

IMG_2089.JPG
IMG_2087.JPG
Kudu (2).jpg
IMG_2069.JPG
Zebra.JPG

IMG_1950.JPG

Great looking trophies. Where in Canada did you bring them into? looks like customs didn't get you as bad as others I've heard of.

Congrats! Those look great! I am really starting to like the look of European Mounts.

Congratulations! Very nice trophies! The quality of the taxidermy or skull mounts looks to be really good!

Great looking trophies. Where in Canada did you bring them into? looks like customs didn't get you as bad as others I've heard of.

Some people declare the value of the trophies as the value of the hunt is itself. Due to the fact that the cost of the hunt in total is far greater than the value of the taxidermy as taxidermy, the customs or tax $ will be greater.

Excellent looking mounts I have not done any European style mounts myself, but I have used TROPHAENDIENSTE (Taxidermy) in the past a great company to work with. I just got back from Namibia and will be using their services again. I was able to get the Wildebeest that eluded me back in 2012. I have to say these animals are RUDE! They absolutely refuse to die easy, but they do eventually toss in the towel.

Once again; Africa does not disappoint, we managed to see Egypt, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana, Angola, Namibia and South Africa. When I was in Namibia in 2012 hunting with my son it was the greatest experience of my life as a father. I would say it just doesn’t get any better. Or perhaps I was too hasty in that old statement. This year my daughter joined me, I told my wife and daughter this wasn’t going to be a hunting trip, bla, bla ... other than me trying to get a Wildebeest.

Well the PH suggested the daughter try some target shooting, she was producing some real good groupings. This surprised me as she never really showed much interest with fire arms when she growing up. That being said, then the PH suggested perhaps she might consider hunting something. I was sure that was going to fall flat, surprise again she was up to the challenge.

When I can’t say I didn’t develop a tear or fifty when she dropped that Gemsbok with pin-point accuracy. I was completely overwhelmed by the experience and even writing this chokes me up, awesome! In the end I also took a old fighting Springbok ram and my daughter's friend got a real nice Impala ram.

So that was the second plains game hunt of my lifetime and when I return next to Africa sometime around 2018-2019 I’ll be there to start the quest of the Big 5. God, I hope my bank account can match my dreams, only time will tell…
IMG_1816.JPG

@DCN Thank you for this very informative post! Much appreciated. My first safari is this summer and I'm trying to keep the taxidermy reasonable too.

Great post and awesome trophies! Thanks

Good looking trophies and you did well on costs. However, I would not have been very thrilled with a shipping box made of cardboard.

I was wondering if there was a wood frame inside the cardboard? The skulls all seemed intact.

I was wondering if there was a wood frame inside the cardboard? The skulls all seemed intact.

Good question Lee. Even with a wood frame he is lucky things were not damaged.

It was a simple cardboard box (albeit on the thicker and more sturdy side) stuffed to the gills with narrow shredded paper. There was no wood involved. Each item was tightly wrapped with selophane. Pleased to confirm that there was no damage of any kind. That said, given the comments, I will definitely specify "wood" next time. Live and learn.

The quality looks good, congrats. I was considering tanning a zebra and wildebeest and then sewing the felt on at home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mchahine

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,