Etosha fence repair requires N$491m

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
THE government needs N$491 million to repair a 712-kilometre fence at the Etosha National Park in the north-west of the country.

In a statement issued last week, the director of wildlife and national parks Colgar Sikopo said the erection of the fence will also create temporary jobs.

“Elephant and lion-proof fences cost in excess of N$689 285 per kilometre. Therefore, with the remaining 712 kilometres, this project will cost the government an amount of N$491 million at the current rate,” he said.

The ministry of tourism started the erection and electrification of an elephant and predator-proof fence in 2012.

According to Sikopo, budget allocations for the construction has been N$35 million (2012/13), N$40 million (2013/14) and N$20 million (2015/16).

The ministry allocated N$29 million for the 2016/17 financial year for the fence, but this was reduced by half to N$14,5 million, and N$12 million for the 2017/2018 financial year.

“This financial year, N$23,8 million was allocated,” he added.

Only 112 kilometres of the fence have been upgraded in the last six years, with 712 kilometres remaining. “At the current speed and level of construction, the completion of the fence will take another 10 years or more,” he said.

Sikopo noted that although there are no African buffaloes in Etosha, which are the carriers of the foot-and-mouth disease, the disease is still highly contagious in cloven-hoofed animals.

“We are, therefore, aware that it is of great importance to ensure that control measures such as fencing off the park are in place and enforced, because any outbreak of this disease among livestock can have a devastating effect on both the livestock and wildlife industries,” he said.

Anthrax was also reported at the park before, and the protection of livestock grazing outside Etosha is very important.

The director said some parts of the cattle-proof fence have been destroyed by elephants on a daily basis, with the most affected area being the northern boundary.

During the rainy season, elephants are mostly found there, but they leave during the dry season as the water becomes too salty and move south and east, deeper into the park.

The ministry also faces staff shortages, as one staff member is stationed at Onanke, and is responsible for the maintenance of that portion with the allocation of one government vehicle.

“It is not possible to bring in more staff to maintain the fence, as others are tasked to attend to issues of wildlife protection and law enforcement, given the current levels of rhino and elephant poaching, as well as attending to incidents of human-wildlife conflict on a daily basis,” Sikopo explained.

The ministry has over 400 vacant positions across the country, which creates a gap and a challenge in the implementation of activities such as the maintenance of the boundary fence.

“Budget constraints are a major challenge, but the ministry is making all efforts to do more with less,” he noted.

The fence was constructed in the early 1960s and has deteriorated in some areas.

“The boundary of the park is extremely long, consisting of 822 kilometres, bordering the Oshikoto, Oshana, Omusati and Kunene regions,” he stated.

The boundary consists of various types of fences, the main fence being a game-proof fence, with nearly 80 kilometres a stock- proof fence (1,2 metres high).

Source: https://www.namibian.com.na/67997/read/Etosha-fence-repair-requires-N$491m

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for posting. Always interesting to hear of what happens and makes news in Namibia. "The fence was constructed in the 60's...." so not surprising that repair is necessary. I was told when hunting near Etosha, many years ago now, that there were only 75000 taxpayers in Namibia. Every country has to allocate limited resources, but with only a relatively few taxpayers in a country twice the size of California, this must be a real challenge. I subscribe to one Namibian newspaper......and while it is truly none of my business, I can't help but notice that the Govt. has bought two Learjets ( a 31A and a 75) and a Falcon 900, plus two jet helos relatively recently. I also see an article in which the pilots say there is not enough for them to do since their flights to the last World cup in South America. Hope they are using taxpayer's dollars wisely, and hope there is a little left over for infra structure at Etosha......................FWB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.