ETHIOPIA: Rocky Valley Safaris

Fabulous narrative. Can't thank you enough for taking me along (ok I am a tad bitter and jealous!). I know you realize this, but you could not have taken a better Mountain Nyala had you tried for another lifetime or two. What an ancient old warrior! Such an Nyala and Lord Derby are my two African dream hunts. Have about five such quests in all, and the third is North American mountain goat (along with mid-Asian Ibex and a never ending hunt for the next buffalo). Will try that in BC in September on equally steep terrain. Am a bit nervous about it, and have ten years on you. Nevertheless, it has been on the list since I started reading Outdoor Life a very long time ago. My sincerest congratulations for achieving such a worthy goal.

Thanks @Red Leg, I have been very Blessed to have been able to pursue some incredible animals in equally amazing places. Can you tell me who/where you are hunting in BC for goat? I too have that on my list and would like to get to it sooner than later. I hunted Stone Sheep with Tom Vince in the Turnagain back in '12 and saw quite a few goats. I believe I will most likely hunt there but am always open. His son Luke runs the business now, he is the 3rd generation of the famous sheep guide Gary Vince.

On another note, interesting that you mentioned reading Outdoor Life when you were younger. I used to read Sports Afield and ardently followed the writer John Jobson as his monthly column was on Africa! It was a dream 40 years ago that became a reality time and time again. Amazing how man can become easily motivated!

Late as usual but read every word. Thank you for this last hour of reading. You truly are blessed to have experienced this hunt and we are blessed to have read it. Jacques

Late as usual but read every word. Thank you for this last hour of reading. You truly are blessed to have experienced this hunt and we are blessed to have read it. Jacques

Thank you Jacques, I am happy you enjoyed the report it is my pleasure to share it.

Thanks @Red Leg, I have been very Blessed to have been able to pursue some incredible animals in equally amazing places. Can you tell me who/where you are hunting in BC for goat? I too have that on my list and would like to get to it sooner than later. I hunted Stone Sheep with Tom Vince in the Turnagain back in '12 and saw quite a few goats. I believe I will most likely hunt there but am always open. His son Luke runs the business now, he is the 3rd generation of the famous sheep guide Gary Vince.

On another note, interesting that you mentioned reading Outdoor Life when you were younger. I used to read Sports Afield and ardently followed the writer John Jobson as his monthly column was on Africa! It was a dream 40 years ago that became a reality time and time again. Amazing how man can become easily motivated!
I am going to be with Kevan Bracewell’s BC Trophy Mountain Outfitters. Have hunted with him for Mule Deer and black Bear with great success (hunting reports are on here somewhere). Always saw lots of goats - at least I saw lots of tiny white dots well above the tree line. Great folks in a ranch setting on the Bridge River near Carpenter Lake - about 6-hours out of Vancouver. PM me if you would like any details.

I am a bit older than you so I was a Jack O’Connor acolyte.

Thanks @Red Leg, I've known Kevin for nearly 20 years and sent him some clients in the past. Good luck with the hunt I look forward to the report.

BTW - Where in the Texas Hill Country are you? I have offices in Burnet and Lampasas.

Thanks @Red Leg, I've known Kevin for nearly 20 years and sent him some clients in the past. Good luck with the hunt I look forward to the report.

BTW - Where in the Texas Hill Country are you? I have offices in Burnet and Lampasas.
We are about fifteen miles east of Georgetown - technically black prairie.

Assumed you did - it is a pretty small industry.

My 2 cents....Since I will only be making my second trip to Africa in about six weeks, my experience hunting Africa is extremely limited. But I have traveled extensively in Europe, Eastern Europe and the Middle East, without guns. If I had plans to sight see anywhere in Europe (especially window shopping at Rigby or Westley in England) before or after an African hunt, I would use the outfitter rifles. Just so much less trouble and apparently expense. But as long as I fly from ATL to Joberg straight through to hunt and come home, my experience is that it is not a problem as long as you plan it and as long as you have decent layover times if any, not very likely your rifle will not arrive with you. None of my rifles are terribly expensive, but I would still be upset at loosing one!

My 2 cents....Since I will only be making my second trip to Africa in about six weeks, my experience hunting Africa is extremely limited. But I have traveled extensively in Europe, Eastern Europe and the Middle East, without guns. If I had plans to sight see anywhere in Europe (especially window shopping at Rigby or Westley in England) before or after an African hunt, I would use the outfitter rifles. Just so much less trouble and apparently expense. But as long as I fly from ATL to Joberg straight through to hunt and come home, my experience is that it is not a problem as long as you plan it and as long as you have decent layover times if any, not very likely your rifle will not arrive with you. None of my rifles are terribly expensive, but I would still be upset at loosing one!

Get your RSA permit hunt in advance and get at least a two hour layover in ATL before catching your connecting flight.

Get your RSA permit hunt in advance and get at least a two hour layover in ATL before catching your connecting flight.
Ticket bought with 3 hour layovers going and coming and gun permit acquired both in January!

What a fantastic hunt. That’s some beautiful country you hunted. Congratulations on a fine animal.
The weather altitude and terrain reminds me of one of my sheep hunts.
Being a coffee lover I’m not sure I could handle the high octane brew you described in your story.

We are about fifteen miles east of Georgetown - technically black prairie.

Assumed you did - it is a pretty small industry.

Well we are less than an hour apart when I am at my house on Lake Buchanan in Burnet. I'll shoot you a PM and hopefully we can meet up one day for lunch and swap hunting stories.

Well we are less than an hour apart when I am at my house on Lake Buchanan in Burnet. I'll shoot you a PM and hopefully we can meet up one day for lunch and swap hunting stories.
Look forward to that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JameShiple

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!