ETHIOPIA: Northern Operations Africa 2016

Nothing short of fantastic! Great nayala and hyena, congratulations.

Awesome!!! Congratulations on the Nyala! What a beast! So excited you got it!

Holy Cow, what a report!! I about puked when you lost the Nyala, I got sick to my stomach. I cant imagine what a range of emotion that trip brought on. I really don't believe in luck, I think you make your own luck and NOA helped you make some, maybe with a little of someone from above watching over you. Congrats on a spectacular hunt and looking forward to reading more.

There is nothing like a bad shot to dampen your mood around camp. I'm glad that it all worked out. That is truely a once in a lifetime trophy. Hopefully the leopards are getting hungry!

WOW. That is a stud of a Mtn Nyala. Congrats on getting him. I think we all are relieved that you got him. Well done. Bruce

Beautiful bull. He looks bigger than the bulls from Southern Africa?

Day 12

Today we get up and check our leopard baits. Nothing has been hit, unless you count crows, vultures, kites and the odd eagle or two. It's surprising to everyone that we haven't had a hit. I think the cold weather, the hyenas and the availability of other meals must have something to do with it. So tonight we're going to try something new. We've built a blind not far from camp, and we will head out there near 7 pm to try calling. I have no doubt we'll get lots of hyena, but whether we get any leopard remains to be seen.

After a nice lunch, the staff gathers for what I'm told is an Ethiopian coffee ceremony. It's very elaborate, and involves fresh grass spread across the floor, and our camp oven (charcoal burning) placed on top of it. A woman squatting on the floor then roasts fresh coffee beans in a frying pan. Once those are roasted, they are passed for all to smell. Popcorn (!) is then put on the stove, while the woman grinds the coffee beans by hand in a special wooden vessel, used only for coffee. Once the coffee is finely ground, the popcorn is ready and taken off the stove, to be replaced by a coffee pot full of water and ground coffee. When the smell of fresh coffee is strong, the woman spreads incense on the fire, and takes the coffee pot off. Thick coffee is poured into prepared cups, containing sugar. The coffee is then passed around and everyone comments on how good it is! Now I don’t drink coffee, but I didn't want to insult my hosts, so drank about half of the small cup. It was strong but not particularly bitter, and the grounds were nowhere to be found - likely a result of the way in which the woman handled the coffee pot. This coffee won't convert me, but I very much appreciated the ceremony.

I've decided to go home for Thanksgiving, so we don't have too much longer here in the mountains. We will head for the Danakil on Friday (it's now Wednesday), regardless of the result with the leopard, to get the remaining four animals on my list. Of those, of course, only the Lesser Kudu is a "must do". The others were to pass the time because the trophy fees weren't completely unreasonable.

Leopard has been tough. As I noted, some of our baits were cut down for the rope and eaten by hyena. With those which stayed up, it was simply too cold to get the meat 'ripening' the way it should if it's to attract a leopard. In fact, putting meat in a tree was more akin to aging meat than baiting with it! Even when we've had sunny days, we haven't been able to attract a leopard to any of our baits, likely because all of them have hyena hanging around. I'm sure we'd solve the puzzle eventually, but I want to get on with the lesser kudu, and getting back. Mountain nyala and lesser kudu are not easily found, but leopards are available in lots of place, if I ever decide I really want a second.

Having said that, we're having a bowl of hot soup and heading out to our new blind in a few hours, to try calling.

DSC00198 (1).jpg

DSC00205.jpg

Well, we went out at nine, and once we were outside the camp, we were shadowed by a couple of hyena all the way to the bait. We got into the blind, and found that our call wasn't working! I had to laugh. This had been our last hope, and it hadn't panned out. Notwithstanding, we stayed in the blind for some hours. It was the full moon, so we could see reasonably well, and all we could see were hyena. Everywhere. At one point they started laughing and calling, and we discovered some were much too close for comfort. When we finally decided to leave the blind, we turned on a powerful flashlight, and counted no fewer than 16 hyenas within a few hundred yards. And believe me, I'm not exaggerating. They didn't seem overly concerned by us or our light - one was lying down, and continued to lie down with his head turned towards us as we shone the light on him - at less than 100 yards. Some shadowed us as we walked back to camp. An interesting experience, to say the least.

Day 13

Last day in the Winter Camp. We head to the desert tomorrow. I long for some warmth, but I have little doubt that the desert will be as hot as this is cold. We are taking our camp with us, so we have to be up early, and dismantle the camp we are in. There won't be another hunter here until March, and the community does not allow the camp to remain here in the meantime. In fact, this camp is generally used no more than 20 days a year for three hunts. We have ruined the average, without a doubt.

Today will be a day of packing and getting ready for an early departure tomorrow. In the meantime, we still have our bait and our blind near camp, so we will head out again tonight to call, if we can fix our Foxpro!

We also have to get tips in order. Tips appear to be a big deal in Ethiopia, and there are lots of people here who apparently need to be looked after. Northern Operations (my outfitter) doesn't in fact own or run this camp. It's run by a company in Addis which owns the concession (only Ethiopians can own concessions). It appears no one, including my PH, knows just how much these people make, but whatever it is, it can't be much.

So I have to take care of two camp guards, the regional game scout, two trackers/skinners, an assistant cook, two water boys, and other assorted people. Some are coming with us to the new camp, and I will take care of them there. There will be a bigger reckoning in a few days!

I have given the problem of the leopard some thought, and I have little doubt that the hyenas are responsible for the problems we've been having. We've seen two hyenas chase a large male leopard from his haunts. I can only imagine what a leopard would think of a dozen or more hyenas. Every bait we check has been visited by hyena, most of which are still in the vicinity in the morning, even though they can't actually get to any of the meat.

On this, our last night in our frozen mountain camp, we decide to try having a bit of fun. We will drive to our bait close to camp, and drop the baits to see what happens. We decide the vehicle would provide a safer viewing place than the blind. It also seems that much of our blind has been eaten by goats and cows over the last day, so it wouldn't provide much protection anyway!

As we drive out around 8 pm, we see the shadows of hyena all around. The smell of the bait is clearly an attractant! As we get to the tree, we send a couple of guys in to cut down the bait - and there's a fair amount of meat in this tree. We have two powerful flashlights and we continue to shine them into the eyes which are all around us. We count over 20 pairs of eyes. And there are clearly more. The guys at the tree keep looking around as one of them climbs the tree. I think he's the only safe one!

Once the baits have been dropped, we retreat to the vehicle, and put on a bleating fawn call. I think that was unnecessary. Within minutes, one hyena had come in and grabbed a donkey hindquarter. It tried to run with it, but was surrounded by others, and a real battle was on, about 70 yards from us, in virtually full light. They began calling, and soon the valley seemed to be in a bit of an uproar. This continued for a good hour, with hyena coming in and grabbing bits of meat and running, only to be intercepted by other hyena. We eventually decided it was time to effect a strategic withdrawal, and we returned to camp. But the noise was heard for much of the night, as they seemed prepared to fight over every scrap of meat.

I am not a cat expert, but I think I can say with certainty that no cat would have come to a bait surrounded by over 20 hyena.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful bull. He looks bigger than the bulls from Southern Africa?
AB2506, he looks like a fat kudu, rather than a nyala, so I'm not sure why they called him a mountain nyala. Having said that, the only place where mountain nyala are found is Ethiopia.

Super report!
Very interesting!!!

Going to take a break for a week, with regrets. On a flight to Europe and my computer is at home! Lesser kudu hunt when I get back.

Going to take a break for a week, with regrets. On a flight to Europe and my computer is at home! Lesser kudu hunt when I get back.

Thats just wrong!

But we will wait.... reluctantly.... sigh....

We will be waiting! :A Popcorn::A Popcorn:

I have a feeling that a Lesser Kudu is going to be just Great (Kudu) when you write the story. So looking forward to the rest of the days. I am also waiting for some Ostrich to make a surprise entry to the story at some point :ROFLMAO:

Hank....wow! Just wow! Incredible adventure! Thank you for taking all of us on an adventure that 99.9% of us could/will only dream about. The trials, tribulations, highs and lows of hunting are what truly drives the passion in all of us. That is what creates the most vivid memories. Your beautiful Mountain Nyala is "icing on the cake". Well done and thank you for bringing us along on the ride!
I must also say, I agree that you had a fantastic group helping you live your dream. What I must note is that you had a part in their extra effort. To me, this shows a testament to your character. This extra effort was due to what they thought of you.
Looking forward to the rest of the adventure!

......... On a flight to Europe and my computer is at home! .......... .

Smart man. You're likely working but have some fun.

Perseverance (and a bit of prayer I expect) along with a highly commited team garnered you the trophy of a lifetime. Congratulations on an outstanding Nyala bull. Also compliments on your writing style, it is very entertaining and I can't wait to read the finish.

Congrats on the mountain nyala!!!

Back in the saddle!

In looking this over, it seems like I had two Day 12's. Frankly, the first wasn't so good that I wanted to repeat it, but it looks like I did. So I'm starting today as Day 14, which is in sequence (for anyone who is counting the days . . .).

Day 14

This is moving day. We are up at 5 am, and the dismantling of our camp begins around 6. There will be nothing left on this site, and a camp will only return in March when the next mountain nyala hunt is planned.

The truck which will take us to the new camp heads down the mountain with a load, to meet a bigger truck which can't navigate the mountain roads. One trip down and back, and we load out own gear onto the truck. The other truck, which will take most of our camp staff, including our cook, has to make a few more round trips before it can go.

We head out around 9 am, and it's a long journey to the Danakil, over really terrible roads. This is one of the main highways to the port in Djibouti, but you would only know that because of the truck traffic on it. And these truck drivers are lunatics. In our journey, we came across no fewer than 6 accidents involving trucks, five of which are rollovers and look like total losses. Some still smoking. I can only imagine how many they have countrywide. The Danakil area of Ethiopia is in the Afar region, in the north-eastern part of the country, near the border with Somalia.

The Government of Canada says this about travel to the Danakil desert:

Global Affairs Canada advises against all travel to the area within 10 km of the borders with Eritrea and South Sudan, as well as to the Somali and Gambella regions and the Danakil Desert (emphasis in original).

Oh well.

We make one stop for lunch in a very hot (and I don 't mean trendy) 'restaurant' (if restaurants have birds flying around and goats tromping through). We get cokes and pasta for lunch, and Ficker gets injera with a mashed red bean paste of some sort. He lets me try it, and it's very tasty. I'll have to try to find a recipe once I get back home.

We finally arrive at our (very dark) camp around 7.30 pm.

The first thing we do is get the generator started, and wake up the guys who delivered the tents, etc. yesterday. We try to get our bearings, but it's tough in the dark. Finally, we get some lights, and find that very little has been done to get ready. Jacques is a force of nature, and gets tents allocated, bedding sorted out, and dinner made. With almost nothing in the way of pots and pans. Or food for that matter.

I try to find a bathroom, and find that we have outdoor showers and "short drop" toilets. Since the holes seem to have been dug earlier that day, I decide to christen the toilet. This is a bit more basic than I expected!

DSC00281.jpg

Shower (left
Part of the problem is that Ethiopia is, I think, the most expensive place to hunt in Africa, and one of the most expensive in the world. Yet they have rules that essentially make it impossible for most, if not all, operators to build any permanent camps anywhere, or bring in some of the basic amenities. Having said that, this camp will be occupied for less than a month a year, so it seems a bit unreasonable to demand what you might from a camp which sees more use. But the price/value equation is bugging me, and I go to bed with my nose a bit out of joint.

Day 15

It turns out that the night cools down a bit, and I even pull a blanket round myself at some point during the night. We have to test the gun again in the morning, so we decide to sleep in until 7. I wake up refreshed, and with a new outlook on things. As I walk around the camp, I find that our team arrived at about 1.30 in the morning, and some of them are sleeping under the stars. A mattress on the ground, and a blanket over. My tent had all of the window flaps open, so I could hear everything and smell everything.

It turns out that this is a lovely site for a camp, in a bend in one of the few year-round rivers (the Telalak) in this area. Lots of big trees all around - a rarity for this area. The whole camp has a real feel of "old Africa" about it, and I start to really enjoy the surroundings. Breakfast is served in our open dining area, and the staff is, as usual, attentive and determined to please. The only difference, I think, between this camp and one a hunter might have set up 100 years ago is that ours arrived on trucks, rather than porters.

DSC00266 (1).jpg

Me at work!

After a nice breakfast, I get the gun out and a target is set up on a nearby hill. Two quick shots, both within an inch of the bull's eye at 100 yards. We are good to go, and today is the first day of our lesser kudu hunt.

We drive to a nearby village and pick up our local game scout. That done, we head out to the hunting area Jacques has picked out, about an hour away. Once we arrive, we park behind a hut, and head out. We are about an hour and a half walk from a spring in a mostly dry riverbed. Those who have walked dry riverbeds will know they are generally rocks or sand. In this case, we had both, as well as some isolated water.

The sun is shining – or, more accurately – beating down on us, as we walk in the riverbed. Walking alternates between difficult – soft sand and boulders – to easier. More of the former than the latter. After about 45 minutes of walking, Jacques tells me we are now far enough away from the village that villagers shouldn’t be a problem. At that point, we see three young boys hiding in the bushes. It seems they have been shadowing us for some time. They are yelled at, and blend back into the bushes.

The sun continues to get warmer, and I begin to get hot. But that’s what one expects in the desert. Within 15 minutes, we see that our three young friends have not left us, and we run into some children swimming in one of the few stretches of the river with water. So much for leaving the village behind. But we continue our trek upriver, heading for the spring.

At one point, I ask Jacques if we can stop. I am not feeling at all well, and am beginning to feel dizzy. Jacques says a few hundred yards more and we should be there. I push on, but it’s becoming more and more difficult – and even though I haven’t been exerting myself tremendously – nothing like in the mountains - I’m having a hard time getting my breath. Jacques can see I’m having some difficulty, but I can’t tell him what it is. I’ve never had this problem – if I’m out of breath, I stop, and within a pretty short period of time I recover and off we go. But now, I can’t seem to catch my breath, and my heart is pounding in my chest. A short break does nothing to improve the situation, and I am getting very dizzy. Jacques leads me to a tree, where he has me sit down. It’s a measure of how unwell I am that I sit on a porcupine quill and an anthill but decide to deal with the pain in the ass later. I am in some difficulty, but more than that, I’m worried that there’s something seriously wrong. My heart won’t stop pounding, and I have lost the ability to get up.

Jacques has a couple of large zip-loc bags in his pack, and goes to the spring for some water (we made it after all!). When he gets back, he tells me to put my head back, and proceeds to pour the water on my head and shirt. In short order, I’m soaked, and, with the help of a small breeze, I’m starting to cool down. Jacques gives me a bottle of water to drink, and then goes off to reconnoiter, while I stay behind with Dean to keep an eye on me. I’m told in no uncertain terms that Jacques has no desire to perform CPR on me (“two mustaches must never meet” he tells me – words to live by in my view).

I would say it took a good half hour for my heartbeat to return to normal. In that time I steadily dried out, and slowly sat up, and then on a log, and finally stood up. The dizziness seemed to have passed, but I had little strength.

Jacques returns at about noon, and immediately gets phone call from Ficker, who is sitting down river, on the far bank. He has seen a big lesser kudu coming to the water, so we – slowly – start to move in that direction. Unfortunately, we almost immediately run into a group of villagers collecting firewood and the kudu has disappeared. We rejoin Ficker on his side, and I’m quite happy to sit at this spot for a time.

Over the next two hours, we are treated to a veritable cavalcade of people coming past our spot, some collecting firewood, some with animals, and some, it seems, just out for a walk. At one point when I think this can’t get any worse, a group of over one hundred sheep and three shepherds comes by. I am convinced all of these people are doing this just to annoy me. If that’s there goal, they have succeeded. In spades.

At one point, Jacques says he will go scout the area. I begin to nod off, and since I’ve pretty much given up hope of getting an animal today, I’m focused on the problem of having to walk the same way again tomorrow. That puts me to sleep. Suddenly, I am woken by what feels like a boot to the shoulder, likely because Dean has kicked me in the shoulder with his boot. He is saying “shh. There he is. Move slowly.” What a way to be woken up. I can’t see anything, but Dean’s pointing downriver. I look, and there, about 220 yards away, is a wonderful male lesser kudu, drinking out of the spring. I slowly get up and move to the sticks, from which my rifle is hanging. Ficker is sitting behind me and I look at him and he says “good one. Shoot him.”

I get the rifle up, and get the kudu in my sights. At that point he looks up – it seems he’s heard a sound and with all of the villagers about, I’m worried he won’t stay. So I forget about squeezing the trigger, and just give it a good yank. Not a brilliant move, I admit, but I felt I was on him. The sound is good, and he leaps into the air before heading up the bank on our side. We almost immediately lose sight of him.

This all happened so fast that we take a moment to collect ourselves. We then start to move, slowly, to the spot where he was standing. About half way there, Jacques pops out of the bushes and asks what I was shooting at. Apparently he’d seen a couple of bulls in the thickets, and was coming back to get me. At least, that’s his story. I think he was catching up on some sleep, but I’ll go with the two-bull story(!). He joins us as we head downriver.

When we get to the spot, I’m looking for blood, and not finding any. Dean asks if I thought it was a good shot, and I say “hell yes,” but given that I’d just woken up, and that I really didn’t squeeze as I should have, who can be sure? Ficker and a couple of trackers and scouts head up the bank, and within a few seconds, Ficker is yelling. “Dead, dead, dead.” The lesser kudu had run up the bank and dropped dead at the top. A perfect shot, exactly where I had aimed.

The wave of relief that swept over me was palpable. More importantly, this was No. 8 of the 9 spiral horned antelope for me. All I need now is the Lord Derby! I am not only relieved, but I’m getting emotional. This guy is as old as they come. Most of his teeth are gone, and layers of his horns are worn away in places. Truly a beautiful animal. I am overcome, and ask for a bit of time, just me and the kudu. As I sit there, looking at him, and holding his head in my hands, I give thanks for the life of this lesser kudu, and for the opportunity to have hunted him, and to have killed him cleanly and quickly.

DSC00096.jpg

We take a bunch of pictures, and cut out the backstraps, and the cape. I drink as much water as I can, and we head back to the truck, slowly, but happily.

Again, for those interested, he's over 31 inches on both sides, and totals to 72 7/8", which is enough for a gold, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathi6164

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.