Estimated 300,000 cattle have drowned in northern Australia

Damn that s bad.

It is certainly devastating for the families who have been through years of drought and feeding cattle to keep them alive and then mother nature sends this at them.

Awful! I guess the crocs are happy though. Maybe they will open croc hunting again.
What a financial bust for all the ranchers!
I guess some areas of SA have got the drought going now and it’s really hurting the game.
Mother Nature is brutal!

Blimey, tough conditions. Wonder if the ranching will come back or whether it grows goats, feral pigs and other things...

Awful! I guess the crocs are happy though. ............

I was wondering about Crocs in the area. The "freshies" are in the area apparently.
Crocodylus-johnstoni-range-distribution-map.jpg

My heart goes out to these ranchers - the pictures of the devastation and dead livestock are truly awful!

Wasn’t that area just in a severe decade long drought not to long ago?!?! Man.... that’s bad. Loosing any cow, is a financial loss... 300k!!! Damn!!

I think it’s around half a million now.

Awful! I guess the crocs are happy though. Maybe they will open croc hunting again.
What a financial bust for all the ranchers!
I guess some areas of SA have got the drought going now and it’s really hurting the game.
Mother Nature is brutal!

Certainly and we are having incredible heat waves too

Furthermore this state, Queensland is two and a half times the size of Texas and the top half had tremendous water whilst the bottom half had very severe drought!
Welcome to Australia.

Blimey, tough conditions. Wonder if the ranching will come back or whether it grows goats, feral pigs and other things...

Next question?? Lol

So Dr Ray I guess you get too much moisture close to the ocean and too hot and dry inland. Pretty typical I guess. Still sorry to here of all the flooding. I guess it’s very hard on the economy.
Best to everyone slapped by Mother Nature!

That many carcasses are going to stink to high heaven. Could be a tremendous health risk to surviving stock and humans.

Could they gather them and burn them? Bury them?

So Dr Ray I guess you get too much moisture close to the ocean and too hot and dry inland. Pretty typical I guess. Still sorry to here of all the flooding. I guess it’s very hard on the economy.
Best to everyone slapped by Mother Nature!

Basically yes. In the northern wet season the monsoons come down and soak the northern parts of Australia.
The southern states have had heat waves and the areas are as dry as my humor.
Friend in the south of my state is in a desperate way. Extremely bad drought: starving cattle all compounded by hot dry and very strong winds. Buck’s saying is that the wind would blow the hair off a dog!
Mind you at Cairns (Great Barrier Reef) area we’ve had sone u usually hot weather as well as the wet.
Cairns had days where temperatures were way, way above normal. We had 42 degrees C(17.6 F).
Some places down south (way down) had even far hotter temperatures. In USA there it appears you have had extremely cold periods.

That many carcasses are going to stink to high heaven. Could be a tremendous health risk to surviving stock and humans.

Could they gather them and burn them? Bury them?

Farmers are having to bury in mass graves and/or burn. Yes it’s a tremendous health risk.

There is also the problem of access to some of these areas. Flooding would have destroyed fences and roads and the clay soils will have to dry out before they could get vehicles and machinery around most properties. Not a nice job dealing with week old carcasses.

How many years would it take to get your stock levels back to where they were? Decades?

How many years would it take to get your stock levels back to where they were? Decades?

Many parts of the country have been in drought for a number of years so stock numbers are already reduced. After all this rain there will be a flush of growth and some people that are already cash strapped will not be able to afford the prices of cattle to restock so it will be decades. Also most family properties have spent generations breeding cattle suited to their particular needs and so a long time!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois