Entire shipping process?

oahufish

AH senior member
Reaction score
First time shipping trophies back from RSA, they should be done sometime this fall and I have a few questions and would like a review of the process.
My crate will be shipped sea cargo from RSA to port of Houston. I'm planning to have a local company here in the Islands, DHX Hawaii ship from Houston to Oahu. What is the entire process and associated fee's I'll be encountering once the crate arrives in Houston? How many different clearing, customs agents etc... and fee's are involved before DHX can pick up crate and ship?

Good question. I’ve been advised lately that the port fees are so much it’s better to go air. I wanted to go by sea because I can go to Houston and pick it up.
is it going by sea to Hawaii from Houston?

Good question. I’ve been advised lately that the port fees are so much it’s better to go air. I wanted to go by sea because I can go to Houston and pick it up.
is it going by sea to Hawaii from Houston?
The sea freight prices I've been quoted are a fraction of the price of air cargo. I'm not sure how DHX ships, probably truck to the west coast then ocean freight. They do lot's of shipping here, are are pretty reasonable. Just not sure what the process and costs are from time it arrives at port, until they are able to pick it up.

@oahufish do you have a freight forwarder handling the RSA to Houston portion? I have never sea freighted trophies. Every time a crate has to get handled (loaded, moved, held, unloaded, etc) it costs money. Then there is the paperwork, inspections, fees for calculating fees, etc. A freight forwarder should be able to provide all the details. I've always used Coppersmith.

I’ve been told what Phillip said, on the surface sea freight is cheaper but port fees and inspections eat up a lot of that savings plus port delays with hundreds of crates coming in daily adds a lot of time to the process. If they do come to Houston by sea I would try and find a flight to get them to Hawaii. There shouldn’t be any further delays once they clear Houston.
What’s in the crate? Hope you had a good hunt!

Another thing to think about is with 2 trans-oceanic trips is the heat and humidity in the crates, my guess would be that more trophies have been ruined by humidity than any other factor.

I’ve been told what Phillip said, on the surface sea freight is cheaper but port fees and inspections eat up a lot of that savings plus port delays with hundreds of crates coming in daily adds a lot of time to the process. If they do come to Houston by sea I would try and find a flight to get them to Hawaii. There shouldn’t be any further delays once they clear Houston.
What’s in the crate? Hope you had a good hunt!

I’m having Impala, Gemsbock and Kudu wall pedestals done plus Blue Wildebeest, Hartebeest, Blesbock Euro mounts, zebra rug and 4 hides.
Quoted $3800 for shipping from Houston to Honolulu. My buddy just shipped a complete Yamaha 300 Hp engine weight 650 lbs from Tampa to Honolulu for $1100, and it took less than 4 weeks. There’s gotta be a cheaper way to get my crate from Houston to HI!

I’m having Impala, Gemsbock and Kudu wall pedestals done plus Blue Wildebeest, Hartebeest, Blesbock Euro mounts, zebra rug and 4 hides.
Quoted $3800 for shipping from Houston to Honolulu. My buddy just shipped a complete Yamaha 300 Hp engine weight 650 lbs from Tampa to Honolulu for $1100, and it took less than 4 weeks. There’s gotta be a cheaper way to get my crate from Houston to HI!

You have to realize how much space that crate with your trophies is going to take up compared to what that Yamaha engine is going to take up. I imagine that there is quite a difference and in the shipping industry space is money.

Here are some pictures of my recent shipment, safari in May & June 2021. Crate contained full body klipspringer, wall pedestal mounts of gemsbok, springbok, blesbok and bushbuck and floor pedestal roan. Picked up at coppersmiths in Atlanta.

46749244-3A1F-4932-9751-5666A27C3380.jpeg
AFDB50D3-4E04-4621-81A3-4F1DBF56AE09.jpeg
7191238F-F898-4F80-A4D1-E872167750CF.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Volumetric weight is what is going to bite you on any trophy shipments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!