Entire rhino herd wiped out

Hoas

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
This is a horrific act. How can a man live with himself doing this?

Rhino-killed.jpg

One of the dead rhino on the private game reserve near Komani
Picture: Supplied

Two attacks in three weeks on Eastern Cape reserve leave total of five animals dead

In a blow for anti-poaching efforts in the Eastern Cape, five rhinos have been killed in two separate attacks on the same private game reserve in the past three weeks.

In the latest attack at the Wildschutsberg Game Reserve in the Stormberg mountain range near Komani (formerly Queenstown) at the weekend, three rhinos were shot.

A cow survived but died later during attempts to save it.

The spate of poaching attacks has left reserve owner Greg Harvey outraged as its entire rhino population has been wiped out.

The latest incident saw poachers escape with minimal rhino horn as all the rhinos had been dehorned as a counterpoaching measure earlier this year, leaving only stumps of horn.

It is suspected a syndicate targeted the reserve and were also responsible for poaching two rhinos on October 1.

The attack bears a striking similarity to another attack on the same reserve in 2014 when two white rhinos, both breeding bulls, were shot dead with high-powered hunting rifles 10 days apart.

So far this year, 11 rhinos have been poached in the Eastern Cape, while 19 were killed last year.

The police stock theft and endangered species unit has taken over the probe with the assistance of investigators from Environmental Affairs.

An angry Harvey said his entire rhino population had been wiped out in less than a month.

“It is just madness. I had five rhinos that were of breeding age and now they are gone in the blink of an eye,” he said

The first attack happened on October 1 when two bulls, about 10 years of age, were shot and killed in broad daylight.

rhino-heraldlive-3.jpeg

“It was a Sunday and the two rhinos were seen at about 11am. By 4pm, I got a panicked phone call from a person on the farm saying that it looks like there had been a poaching,” Harvey said.

“I launched the helicopter straight away and spotted both dead rhinos about 300m apart in the bush.

“Unfortunately, attempts to track and locate the poachers failed.”

Harvey said in the latest incident, three rhinos – two females, aged about eight and 15, and a four-year-old bull – had been shot on Sunday night.

“We found their carcasses on Monday morning after a staff member spotted one of the rhinos in the distance.”

He said the alarm was raised and the helicopter was used to scout the area.

“It was then that we saw one of the rhinos was still alive while the other two were lying close by, but dead, only a few metres apart. The one that was alive was sitting upright so we landed the helicopter and called the vet.

“We spent most of Monday morning trying to save the rhino but unfortunately she succumbed to her injury.”

Harvey said the bullet had penetrated the rhino’s upper body – near the shoulder – resulting in internal damage.

“The rhino was darted and sedated while a team of us assisted the vet.

“Because of the size of the animal, she was rolled over every 15 minutes or so to ensure her lungs did not collapse.

“Unfortunately, during the operation she died.”

Harvey said two of the rhinos had been dehorned, but not the wounded one.

“I suspect they wanted the wounded rhino’s horn but ran out of time or were disturbed. All these rhinos were dehorned already, so they only got away with pieces of a stump.”

Police and Harvey suspect a staff member leaked information to a syndicate, which targeted his rhinos twice.

“These rhinos are roaming all day and night, no one knows where they are. They are not near the fences or near any roads, so the only way you would know where to look is with inside information,” Harvey said.

“These poachers have wiped me out. I have no more rhinos left – they are all dead.”

This week reserve staff were due to be questioned and undergo a polygraph.

“We will have to see what comes out of this, but the only logical explanation is that an employee has passed on information,” Harvey said.

Provincial police spokeswoman Colonel Sibongile Soci said police had been to the scene to gather evidence.

Wildlife vet Dr William Fowlds said: “Every rhino lost to poaching inches us closer to possible extinction and makes criminal syndicates more difficult to stop.

“The cost to protect is high but small in comparison to the benefits these magnificent national assets hold for future generations.”

Source: http://www.heraldlive.co.za/news/2017/10/25/entire-rhino-herd-wiped/

The market must be flooded with legal rhino horn to stop this madness!

You would think it would help. Supply and demand always governs the acts of people.

No words,

Sad and disgusting news!

Yeah I'll go for letting legitimate rhino farmers sell a product which is renewable.
Yes it is that simple!
Hard to believe that "they" are fighting the farming of Rhino horns a renewable resource (a renewable resource (risorsa rinnovabile) is a resource which can be used repeatedly and replaced naturally). "They" are responsible for the death and slaughter of all Rhinos.

I blame the buyers, mainly Chinese, for this slaughter. As long as they are buying at any cost, poaching will continue until all are gone.

It broke my heart seeing the poor cow laying their and suffering. Something must be done to stop the madness. Start hanging any poachers caught in the bush by the highest tree. Leave them there to rot!

Yeah I'll go for letting legitimate rhino farmers sell a product which is renewable. I'm also thinking cutting of noses of poachers might help
my thoughts exactly,do to them what they do to the rhinos and turn them loose for the predators to take care of and if any survive they will forever be known as the poaching scum bag they are.

All based on fabrication of medicinal uses in Asia. Maybe time to start a new rumor that certain nether parts of poachers are a 'better' replacement for rhino horn.

That, make flood the market...
Poacher poaching. I must say it does have a ring to it. Do you guys remember all the ivory that got burnt in Kenya early this year. There was more than enough to start a legal trade there

If they did the same thing with ele ivory, that too would be less of a problem, but nooooo! I know, lets burn millions of dollars worth of ivory/rhino horn to "make a statement", and drive the price up and along with that the demand! Such utter stupidity from supposed smart people.

Very sad indeed. I wonder how many of the tree huggers will even hear about this. Where is there anger when it is really needed.

Playing the devil here. If rhinos were native to the U.S. and a single 15k rhino horn was worth almost a million dollars, how many rhinos would still be here. Think bison.

It is also the arabs for their knife handles to show their wealth.
The poachers need more than the nose(or other parts) cut off. More like a tall tree and short rope.
The American Bison were killed off to control the Indians, even when the animal had little or no value. Sportsmen have played a large part on the recovery of them just like turkeys, whitetail deer, pronghorns and such.
This is sad to see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinayzi

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you