Hunting Sailor

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Sweden, Austria
Yesterday I came home from what I believe is the last hunt for the season. It has been a great season, every hunting season is great, but this season was better than great.
I hunt mostly for meat and our freezers are full, the in-law's freezers are full and I understand that I won't be back until next season.

Now I feel a loss, I cannot wait for the next season, the next time I will be out hunting. I will be back in the veld in the mean time, but it won't be the same without a rifle.

I suppose I am not the only one suffering from end of season blues, I suspect that's why so many start to plan the next safari as soon as they get home.
I don't go on as long safaris as most of you on AH, but I hunt often. Living in South Africa gives me that opportunity.

Now the time has come for maintenance of equipment, planning and dreaming, contemplating and talking about past hunts, future hunts.
For the next season I hope to have a new rifle, I will spend time with it, if only in my thoughts until I can hold it in my hands.

It gives me solace knowing that I am not alone with my blues.
I know around the world plenty hunters feels the same way and thinking back on the time spent in the veld, the times around the fires at night and the breaks in the bush when you cooked food over open fire.
The laughs and the banter, the teasing and jokes among friends are just as much part of the memories of the hunting season as the memories on the walls.

This year I got to spend lots of time in the veld with family. Mom and dad came with me for one hunt and my father in-law on two. Those times are more valued than the three trophies I will hang on the walls, but they will always remind me of the great times we all had together.

Until next season I will remedy the withdrawal syndromes by reading AH while eating biltong and droewors.

//Gus

I hear you....My next trip will be back in Africa in 2019. I promised the wife next year will be her's.

Until next season then.

I can understand your feelings...you have your memories.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross