Emirates JFK-Dubai-Lusaka anyone done this??

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Eastern Cape, Free State, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania, Uganda
Looking at Zambia as an option this year, one of the better choices of flights during my days I'm looking for with both flight duration and money is JFK-Lusaka via Dubai. The one concern I have is the 90 minute connection time in Dubai while traveling with guns.

All you guys who have gone through Dubai recently have any comments about this? What about the connection time in general? Any kind of major customs or lines to go through in Dubai while making a connection?

Thanks for the input

Looking at Zambia as an option this year, one of the better choices of flights during my days I'm looking for with both flight duration and money is JFK-Lusaka via Dubai. The one concern I have is the 90 minute connection time in Dubai while traveling with guns.

All you guys who have gone through Dubai recently have any comments about this? What about the connection time in general? Any kind of major customs or lines to go through in Dubai while making a connection?

Thanks for the input
Can’t wait to hear the answers to this! I suspect 90 mi utes will not cut it Charles.......but if it can be done with the guns you still have the possibility of a flight delay!

In October, I flew Houston - Dubai - Johannesburg in business class. It was eight hours longer, but more than two grand cheaper than Delta from Atlanta in the same class. Emirates' business class, from a service and comfort perspective, is somewhere between Delta/American/United business and their first class seating (I should note, for eleven years I was a VP with a major Defense Corporation and flew worldwide first class on all these airlines so I have an informed opinion). In short, it was an extraordinarily comfortable flight with great food/wine/ and service. Shipping the rifle and ammunition was painless (until South African Airlines got their hands on my property for the short hop to Beira Moz). I slept flat with a comforter and pillow. I am headed back to South Africa in August, and will not even consider another airline. My sense is, that their general seating and service is also a cut above our domestic competition.

I had a four-hour layover in Dubai. It is an extremely modern and efficient airport (sort of the antithesis to O'Hare or JFK). I could have done it all in ninety minutes with forty-five minutes to spare, but a bit of buffer was comforting. With my extra time, I had a shower in their business lounge, bought my wife a lovely bracelet, had a great supper on the flight out, six solid hours of sleep and arrived in J'burg with one day of jetlag already in the bank.

@Red Leg ,

Any kind of special rifle permit for Emirates needed?

Yes, has to be worked ahead of time. I used Gracy Travel and it was painless.

Well the gun permit is done on-line, easy. I have flown Emirates both Coach and Business, I will not fly Emirates in Coach again, unless they get a Premium Eco product like BA. Their Business product is excellent. I would like to try Qatar as I can collect AA or BA miles on those flights.

https://www.emirates.com/english/help/firearms/declaration-form.aspx

Last edited:
Check with Emerites and find out if you will need to chance concourses to reach the connecting flight.
I flew Emerites from Seattle to JNB with layover in Dubai last year. On the way over I had 2 two hrs which was more than enough time, and didn’t change concourses.
On way back I had more almost 3 hrs lay over and it was really close, because we had an extra security screening to get between concourses as well as the travel time between concourses.

Check with Emerites and find out if you will need to chance concourses to reach the connecting flight.
I flew Emerites from Seattle to JNB with layover in Dubai last year. On the way over I had 2 two hrs which was more than enough time, and didn’t change concourses.
On way back I had more almost 3 hrs lay over and it was really close, because we had an extra security screening to get between concourses as well as the travel time between concourses.
Almost all international flights back to the US require a separate screening - that has been true of nearly every airport I have been in over the last several years. Some airports have separate US terminals (i.e. Madrid). Others a separate screening at the gate area (Frankfurt and Dubai). It does take more time going home.

Charles, the only factor that I would be worried about would be the time between flights. Emirates are probably the top airline that I have ever flown with, so no worries there. I have not flown through Dubai with firearms before so can't comment on that aspect, but 90min sounds like it might be cutting it fine.

@wesheltonj

What routes have you flown with them? Layover times?

I would note that I use Gracy on all my international flights. They are pro's at routing (i.e. knowing the particular layover issues at all transit points) and insuring that the gun business is handled without issue. Perhaps most comforting, I have someone to call to assist in fixing a problem.

Thanks @Red Leg , I have never used a service, always purchased my own for years of business and personal travel. Relinquishing this control may be difficult for me:LOL: but may be worth while with what appears to be only a few options with layover times/days of travel.

I have found "directing" a travel agent is every bit as liberating as rolling one's own ticketing. Just saying. ;)

@reedy0312 I'm flying with them for the first time in March/April (coming back April 1). I've got 2.75 hr layover on the way there, and just shy of 3 hrs on the way back. Not sure you can wait that long to book, but I'll let you know how it goes for me. I'll be flying coach, unless @Red Leg wants to gift me some of his frequent flyer miles!!!!:D

@wesheltonj

What routes have you flown with them? Layover times?

DFW to MLE, DFW to CMB. To MLE all day, they put you up in a hotel. CAE under 2 hours plenty of time to stop at lounge get drinks and food and walk to departure gate. Back in Coach it was like to was on a third world airlines only with better service. The bathroom were completely trashed about halfway thru the flight.

Last edited:
@reedy0312 I'm flying with them for the first time in March/April (coming back April 1). I've got 2.75 hr layover on the way there, and just shy of 3 hrs on the way back. Not sure you can wait that long to book, but I'll let you know how it goes for me. I'll be flying coach, unless @Red Leg wants to gift me some of his frequent flyer miles!!!!:D
Do have a few left on United and Delta. :whistle:

Charles,

I've only flown Emirates once, but that was easily the best service I've ever received by an airline from arrival at airport until we were off Emirates. This was in October, 2016 for our trip to Serapa. I'll give you the rundown of our experience.

1) Alaska Air Phoenix/Seattle
We had to fly from Phoenix to Seattle on Alaska Air. Alaska Air was fine, but they do not have a firearms transfer agreement with Emirates even though they are a partner airline. So we had to retrieve our baggage in Seattle and re-check at normal check-in counter outside of secure area. I had to stress this to the Alaska Air folks in Phoenix to NOT try and check our luggage all the way through. You'll need to allow time for this if this is the case for your flight to JFK. And on the inbound flight as well. On the inbound we were really cutting it close to make our Seattle to Phx flight.

2) Emirates and Firearms Prior to Departure
Go here: https://www.emirates.com/us/english...firearms-weapons-and-ammunition-in-my-baggage

Look for the "complete the firearms form" link in the second bullet. But that page explains everything. Once you submit the form and other documentation via the website, you'll almost immediately get back an email acknowledging they've received your information. But this is the one spot that was a bit stressful. They've only acknowledged you've submitted the form, you don't have approval as yet. And it's a bit difficult to track down who you should talk to about it. I submitted mine 29 days before departure and perhaps they were in no hurry, but it was a 2-3 weeks before I got the approval. This maybe is one spot where @Red Leg's advice to use an agent comes in handy. They would know and can take care of this issue for you.

3) Emirates and Firearms at the Airports
This is one spot I was extremely impressed with Emirates. At Seattle on the way out, there was an Emirates employee there at check-in aware of a passenger traveling with firearms ready and waiting for me to show up. They saw me coming with my firearms case and initiated the process confirming who I was first. They knew their procedure inside and out. No ding dong wondering what to do or wigging out that they or I were doing something wrong. Friendly, courteous and professional. We were checked back in in no time and on our way and I was confident they were on it.

In Dubai on the way out and back. When we were making our connection on the way out at the gate when they scanned my ticket, they wouldn't allow me to initially board. The lady there politely asked me to wait and picked the phone to make a call. A few moments and I mean shortly she hung up and said everything was fine. She explained that she saw I was traveling with firearms and wanted to ensure that all of our luggage was on the plane before I got on. I was quite impressed knowing that when we got to Joburg so would our luggage including the rifle case.

On our inbound leg, it was basically the same. I didn't have anyone stop me at the gate for the Dubai/Seattle connection. But we had been at the airport for some 9 hours and thus I believe the system had been updated to show my luggage was where it was supposed to be.

4) On board
Service on board was fantastic. You're treated even in coach as a human instead of cargo. Food choices are a bit different with middle Eastern fare included. That was okay with me, I enjoy trying new foods. The food actually was good and by far, more than you can eat.

Now regarding time between connections. On the outbound, this 90 minute time you mentioned might be cutting it close. I think Emirates would get your luggage to your next plane in time, but you on the other hand might have a challenge. The airport in Dubai is extremely large and busy 24/7. On our flight back home, when we landed in Dubai, there were no available gates for the plane to park at. So, they had us depart on the tarmac. We then boarded a bus and took about a 15 minute ride to get to a spot where we could then enter the terminal. Now like it seems to be the standard practice at other international airports, you have to redo the security procedure. I would say by the time we were back on the air side of security was about an hour from the time we landed. If we had had a 90 minute time limit to make it to our next gate, I'd guess we'd have made it but with very little time to spare.

Again @Red Leg's advice to use an agent I think is worthwhile. As noted you get a great fare through Emirates. If it's a little less great using an agent who is in the know and can save you from any pitfalls along the way on a trip to Zambia, I think it's worth it.

To follow up on item 1 above. When we arrived in Seattle, we had to of course go through immigration and customs. An Emirates employee was waiting with our firearms case at customs. Got through that fine. But for some reason the Emirates employee did not want to allow us to take possession of the firearms at this point. Instead we had to go up to baggage claim where another Emirates employee brought us the case. This probably added another 5-10 minutes to the deal. 5-10 minutes that could have made the difference of making/not making our Seattle/Phx flight.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I'll look into some of these travel agents and finding out from Emirates if the connection flight would be in the same terminal or not.

Just a Saturday night bump to see if anyone else has taken this route... thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaylaHoola

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!