Embracing Responsibility

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
25074744_1741668795908625_6678620209530969595_o.jpg

Embracing Responsibility

“The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but building the new.” – Socrates

As the Professional Hunters’ Association of South Africa (PHASA), it is our custodial duty to embrace the responsibility of all forms of hunting and set an unprecedented standard of responsible hunting, for the future benefit of the South African bio-diversity economy, our communities and our members. PHASA is stepping into a new era of membership accountability and responsibility. It is encouraging and reassuring to know that despite various differences of opinions and standpoints, that the focus and energy of the entire current Executive Committee (EXCO) is being channelled through a collective voice of positivity and mutual respect. For the first time in many years PHASA has a united EXCO, which is determined to serve all members of PHASA and build the hunting industry in accordance with the South African Biodiversity Economy.

The Constitutional changes made at our 40th Annual General Meeting (AGM) allows PHASA to embrace our responsibility as a truly democratic Association of professional hunters. It is unfortunate that there are those who view this positive change in a negative manner and have acted accordingly. PHASA is a membership driven Association for all professional hunters’ and has a sovereign duty to be accountable to the entire membership. The members of the Association through a democratic 79% vote, adopted a new Constitution that is aligned with the current Constitution of the Republic of South Africa. As one of the leading professional hunting association in the world, we need to take responsibility for our industry and provide guidance in the development of rules, regulations and standards within all segments of the industry. PHASA cannot merely distance itself from various stakeholders and activities occurring within the industry and expect to be in a position of influence.

PHASA is embracing its responsibility as tasked by the Minister of Environmental Affairs, Mrs Edna Molewa, who published in the Biodiversity Management Plan (BMP) for the Lion (Panthera Leo) in South Africa, under the National Environmental Management: Biodiversity Act, 2004 (Act No. 10 Of 2004); That PHASA must “Assess the management of the captive lion population.” As Gazetted by law.

The vision of the South African BMP for the Lion population is that: Through the existence of stable, viable and ecologically functional populations of wild and managed wild lions, along with well-managed captive populations that have minimal negative conservation impacts, lions will provide key opportunities for biodiversity conservation, economic development, social benefits and improved management capacity

PHASA supports the Minister and are embracing their custodial responsibility as tasked by the Minister, to find amicable solutions and ascertain the key objectives of the BMP, namely:
1) To improve the conservation status of lions within a broader conservation context, considering the respective role of wild, managed wild and captive populations; and
2) Encourage the development of opportunities for economic and social benefits from responsibly managed wild, managed wild and captive lion populations.

Despite a democratic decision and transparent voting process, it is regrettable that 5% of PHASA members resigned as a result of inter alia disingenuous media statements by individuals and certain Hunting Associations. PHASA would like to set the record straight by separating facts from fiction:
• PHASA vehemently rejects any and all forms of canned or illegal hunting.

• The PHASA Constitution was not replaced to facilitate the hunting of captive bred lions in South Africa.
o Despite the 2015 Resolution “to distance from captive bred lions” the hunting of captive bred lion continued during 2015, 2016 & 2017.
o The 2015 Resolution was flawed in that no disciplinary action could be taken under the previous PHASA constitution, as shown in the High Court action of 2016.
o The 2015 resolution placed PHASA in a position where by it was unable to influence or prescribe any codes of conduct or norms and standards for the hunting of captive bred lions.

• The PHASA Constitution was changed to facilitate higher standards of good governance and administration of the Association in accordance with the Constitution of South Africa.

• The claim that PHASA has turned its back on “Ethical” practices such as fair chase to adopt lower “Legal” standards is unfounded.
o “Fair Chase” & “Ethical Conduct” are legal requirements for all hunting organisations in South Africa under the National Environmental Management Act, 2004.

• South Africa’s National legal requirement for the hunting of predators is of a higher standard than the ethics of most other African or International Hunting Associations. South Africa’s Threatened or Protected Species (TOPS) regulations stipulate that no large predator may be hunted, from or with the use of a:
o motorized vehicle, aircraft, bow, handgun or semi-automatic firearm, artificial lights, dogs, bait, poison, traps & snares luring with sounds or smell.

Under the previous PHASA Constitution, the 2015 Resolution was fatally flawed, it could not be enforced and was inconsequential. Considering the new constitution and 2017 Resolution, PHASA is now in a far SUPERIOR position to apply stricter hunting regulations on ranched lions and can now legally pursue disciplinary action against members who contravene the Resolution.

PHASA acknowledges the different views of fellow Hunting Associations and the industry at large regarding these sensitive and emotional topics and welcomes any direct engagement with the PHASA office or the EXCO for further discussion.

PHASA is aware of the founding of the Custodians of Professional Hunting and Conservation South Africa (CPHCSA) and the speculation that I, the PHASA president, intend to resign and join CPHCSA. I hereby confirm that I will not be resigning and confirm that I will complete my term as president. Having stated the above, I on behalf of PHASA would like to take this opportunity to wish CPHCSA well in their future endeavours and assure CPHCSA that PHASA will always be available as a foundation of support or assistance should they so require.

PHASA will always be an Association for all professional hunters in South Africa and despite the personal views of many will support and facilitate a process and environment where all professional hunters are welcome.

Yours sincerely

Dries van Coller
PHASA President

Source: PHASA

Well said. I believe much of the reaction to PHASA's decision was knee-jerk, emotional, not well-founded and reflected badly on those who lost what by all accounts was a democratic vote.

The solution to the CBL issue lies not in ignoring it, but in reforming it and ensuring it operates to a high standard. It is clear that not everyone will ever be in support of the hunting of CBL or any other captive bred animal for that matter, so that ought not to be the goal here. Rather, the goal should be that the captive breeding and hunting of wildlife be conducted in accordance with the law and the norms established by those who are best positioned to determine what might constitute "best practices" for the industry.

If PHASA commits itself to the establishment of these standards for those who offer CB hunting opportunities, and to the open and transparent review and publication of the results of such review, of those who offer such hunting opportunities, I for one would be happy to rely on PHASA in the selection of my hunting opportunities.

Thanks for sharing

OK everyone, watch the shiny objects I'm holding in my left hand....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
collegeafricagroup

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois