AH legend
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
united state- Co Nm Mt Wy Pa , canada ,mexico ,south africa- Northwest, Limpopo, freestste.Northern cape,East cape, namibia
My sons second elk from new mexico.Can still hear the other 4 bugling bulls as this guy never made a noise.Passed him and went back an hour later when we came to our senses.He is 46" wide with 21" first and 18" seconds good thirds and then got weaker points as the year was a bad drought in the summer so backends were on the weak side that year.Found some nice cedar to use again.Pics not the best put gives a good idea of what it looks like.

0114141553_0001.jpg
0114141551_0001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
very nice elk and mount

great looking fronts on him, good looking mount

Great looking bull, you're hunting somewhere awfully good to pass up that guy even for an hour.

Thanks everyone for the comments.Yes we have a good area we found for sure.Alot of extra time other then hunting.Even after taking the elk we still scout after the hunt.Being from Pa we dont get to NM alot to scout so do it anytime we can when there.Were 2 for 4 with passing on good bulls ever year there.Must pass the good bulls to have the chance at the gaints.

Thanks everyone for the comments.Yes we have a good area we found for sure.Alot of extra time other then hunting.Even after taking the elk we still scout after the hunt.Being from Pa we dont get to NM alot to scout so do it anytime we can when there.Were 2 for 4 with passing on good bulls ever year there.Must pass the good bulls to have the chance at the gaints.

Yup, there is no surer way to guarantee not shooting a big one than by hanging a tag on a small one. That smaller bull also never has a chance to get big either.

Thats for sure and my son and myself dont mind eating a tag at the end of a hunt if we dont get one.We hunt hard for that season and try the best we can.We always have a fun hunt and not taking something does not always mean it was not a good hunt.The biggest problem is he got so lucky his first few years taking great bulls the bar is set high for him now.

Thats for sure and my son and myself dont mind eating a tag at the end of a hunt if we dont get one.We hunt hard for that season and try the best we can.We always have a fun hunt and not taking something does not always mean it was not a good hunt.

You have to be able to smile while eating tag soup if you pass on any animals and not killing out certainly does not make you unsuccessful.

I was just talking to an outfitter about a Desert Sheep hunt and he said "we do lots of pre scouting" there is a good chance of tagging out on the 1st day. He was caught off guard when I said "I hope not" LOL Don't get me wrong I wouldn't look a gift sheep in the mouth but I would appreciate a hard earned ram a lot more.

The biggest problem is he got so lucky his first few years taking great bulls the bar is set high for him now.

We have the same thing going on here. We had 10 successive extremely mild winters and our game populations exploded (possibly the highest they ever have or ever will be). Killing monster bucks was simple, spend enough time afield and no matter how inept you are you will have your chance. Now after successive years of very harsh winters and a depressing memory of what once was the younger crowd incessantly whines about the "old days" and "the way hunting always used to be". LOL If only they had grown up in the 80s when deer were like hens teeth, they would have appreciated what we had a lot more while it lasted.

thats why we kept scouting after his hunt was even done.First elk he shot the first day second elk the second day.With the extra time we hiked and scouted he still got the idea how hard a hunt can be but with out the pressure on him.It worked out well as now even when we dont get a animal he will always say we still had a good hunt.

thats why we kept scouting after his hunt was even done.First elk he shot the first day second elk the second day.With the extra time we hiked and scouted he still got the idea how hard a hunt can be but with out the pressure on him.It worked out well as now even when we dont get a animal he will always say we still had a good hunt.

When I was guiding I was always surprised by the people who flew out after they killed. Yes their hunt was over but there was a comfortable cabin at the base camp, a jet boat for fishing (within reason), horses to ride and plenty of things to do for a relaxing vacation in some of the most beautiful country known to man. Killing stuff is only half (if that) the experience.

Im sure you and your bay had just as good of a time after the hunt was over as the hunt itself.

Yup we shocked are guide when we asked to keep going out.He had to call the outfitter to see if it was even ok to take us out more.We went the next day then went on are own to learn new areas that we liked as when my son got older we would be hunting with out a guide.I did not want to go back to any guide spots and step on his toes.He did give us other spots to check as he only hunts the unit 1 or 2 times a year and it is all public land.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg