Elk / Mule Deer hunt

chiefdale

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
life goes by in a hurry. i grew up hunting since i was a kid and when HS came around me and a few buddies could by found every weekend chasing ducks and bucks. it consumed us. we got older and people got married and started moving. we still try and get everyone together for a hunt at least once a year.

a few of us are considering a trip this year. we are thinking an elk / mule deer hunt. we don't want to kill monsters but rather a good representative and it be decently affordable.

i'm thinking colorado or montana thinking we all may not pull tags so otc?

maybe new mexico??

anyone have any advice or outfitters to reach out to??

For this year you may be too late. Most states draw for non-resident licenses...... DIY may be possible, but most outfitters are filled for this year..... Maybe some others will chime in about that.
I just got back from a hunt in WY with Star Valley outfitters. Hunting South of Jackson Hole WY. By purchasing a preference point this year for next years draw you can likely be successful. They have some very good deer and decent elk. The rifle deer season opens Sept 15 and this yr ends Oct 7. A 5 day hunt is $6K and success rates are quite good from what I can see. There was a 204 monster killed while I was there. Several others in the 160-175 class that I saw. Horseback hunting up high. I'll write a report in a few days when I get some time so you might look for that.
Bruce

Colorado's deer tags go 99% in the draws but there are a lot of OTC elk tags available but there are some units that a non resident can pick up a tag with zero points in the draw.. About the only state that has OTC deer tags is Idaho, but I am not familiar with their hunting seasons as far as hunting deer and elk together.

We are looking at next year. Definitely more concerned with elk than with mule deer.

non resident draw apps have to be submitted at the end of jan or feb we have had so many forest fires this past 2 years finding a good area might be hard,

This late, good luck for this year. That said you might try some Unit 4 New Mexico outfitters for late Elk. Myself I prefer the rut. There is nothing like getting up early and listening to the Elk, even if you are not hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinayzi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you