Elk hunting For Non resident

Non residents need to hire the outfitter that is associated with the ranch to hunt it or purchase their landowner tag if they work it that way. I haven't really looked at it except for as a Colorado resident.

In the Colorado draw only residents can put in for the tag that is offered for the ranch.

There are landowner tags in quite a few ranches that do not work with CP&W but have tags available to both non residents and residents if you want to pay the price

Not too long ago i seen the add for north west most units advertising no draw landowner tags.
Are you saying they are not available to nonresidents. Even if it cost that much you get
To eat Elk meat for a long time. I think they run
12to 15k.
The landowner available tags are separate from the Ranching for Wildlife program. You can get one of the landowner tags and pay them to hunt on their land. I hunt in Unit 4 in northwest Colorado on public land. My father in law got a 340 bull in Unit 201 during muzzleloading season about 13 years ago with 12 preference points. I now have 25 pp for that same area. It’s a “death March”! I.e, Will you die before you draw a tag?

I think I would budget 12 to 15k and get an outfitter that has landowner tags in New Mexico. To try to draw a tag you will be years and years into it (20+). I would also set expectations around 320 to 330 but try to be in an area that could produce a 350.

I think I would budget 12 to 15k and get an outfitter that has landowner tags in New Mexico. To try to draw a tag you will be years and years into it (20+). I would also set expectations around 320 to 330 but try to be in an area that could produce a 350.
I’m budgeting my 12-15k for an African Safari, but to each their own?

It takes an impressive skill set to consistently take large bull elk in North America. I have seen many a international hunter or PH humbled by the process. The most difficult part is navigating the myriad of regulations. Dates, fees, applications, unit boundaries, land status, preference points, hunter education, stamps, shooting times, travel plans, and even clothing requirements. Your PH in Africa does all that for you. Never underestimate his value. Unless an international hunter has a good buddy here who will do the heavy lifting, it may be better to throw some money at it. I know a good landowner elk tag that runs $23K. Add an extra $8500 for outfitting, and they will always (almost) get you a good shot at a 360 or better bull. I personally think that that much money could be put to a better use, but the tags sell out every year. A $7500 horseback Rocky Mtn elk hunt is a great experience....but it is very unlikely to produce a 360 bull...............JMO.......................FWB

21% in 2020 but had a guy turn down a 350 wanting 370+. I told him he was crazy. We have some repeat hunters that get silly always wanting bigger and bigger.

That’s part of the fun of trophy hunting. Chasing after a bigger one.
Obviously, a repeat customer. You must be doing something right.
Very nice bulls by the way.

You may consider one of the remote wilderness camps in the Greater Yellowstone area. There are no shortage of big bulls up here, and some really good outfitters. Look at Yellowstone Outfitters website for a good representation of the area. There are other camps, but I’m biased towards them. There is one camp that was managed by a gentleman from Austria, but I understand they recently sold to another European gentleman. The reason I mention this is most of their clients are from Europe.

One of the reservations (White Mountain, San Carlos, Mescelero, Navajo) should be able to put you close to a 360 bull but they are expensive and usually booked for the current year.

Non residents need to hire the outfitter that is associated with the ranch to hunt it or purchase their landowner tag if they work it that way. I haven't really looked at it except for as a Colorado resident.

In the Colorado draw only residents can put in for the tag that is offered for the ranch.

There are landowner tags in quite a few ranches that do not work with CP&W but have tags available to both non residents and residents if you want to pay the price
Yes most of the tags in RFW are offered by the outfitter or rancher for sale to clients. A small percentage are offered in a public draw to residents only. On most of the RFW properties in NW Colorado, it would be a challenge to find a bull over 320.

A separate program is the Landowner Preference Program in quality draw units. In this program, qualifying landowners apply in a draw for 10% of the unit quota for unit-wide licenses/vouchers and another 10% of the unit quota for private land only (PLO) licenses/vouchers. If successful in this landowner draw, the landowner receives one or more vouchers that can be sold to hunters.

FWIW, a mature wapiti bull is a trophy that takes no second place to any ungulate. The challenge of hunting them in the (normally) rough country they inhabit, the woodscraft required, the sheer physical effort needed to succeed means that it is truly a trophy.

The OP might also think about looking into the first week of the season in British Columbia or Alberta. I have seen some very good bulls in BC. Plus the pucker factor of hunting where there are lots of grizzly bears! A pack-in hunt for elk can often be combined with mountain goat, moose, or deer.

Don't know what he scored. But probably not 360
FB_IMG_1613684211904.jpeg

+1 for Jack Atcheson and sons based out of Butte, Montana. They will give you a clear picture of the various costs and various success rates of different areas.

I have elk hunted in Montana and Idaho for decades. The better shape you are in, the better your chances will be. If you aren’t in good shape for a lot of climbing, make that clear right from the start. Some hunts will not work if you can’t hike uphill miles per day.
As with any hunting, sometimes a guy gets lucky and shoots a nice elk on the first morning. Most of the time it takes quite a few days. The more miles you had to hike, the more you appreciate the elk!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaniaMorfo

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!