Elk Help Colorado Black Powder

Tucketed

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
So I have hunted bow and black powder in Colorado over 20 years. A number of years ago the lodgepole pines were killed off by bugs and now the trees where I love to hunt are falling and getting horses in and hunting is not much fun. Needless to say it’s been 5 years of no bugle hunting and i need to go do it. I have 5 priority points and looking for some help in a black powder hunt for 2021. Any ideas on an outfitter who you have good experience with would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ed

Jared Flores, Medicine Bow Outfitter’s, (970) 631-2812
He hauls sheep herder wagons up into the Rawahs before archery season and out after the last rifle season. I think it takes 4 preference points for muzzleloading that area (GMA 6). A bud used him to take a fine bull Shiras. He said he saw maybe 150 good bull elk in the 5 days he hunted.
I was thinking of doing it in 2020 until I realized I can no longer see open sights well enough on my CVA.

I will second Jarred. Medicine Bow Outfitters have been outfitting in that area for many years. The area holds a lot of elk
Flores are good people also

glad to hear two supports from the forum. I respect all of your knowledge. My Colorado hunts were always a learning experience. From nothing to guiding my kids and some friends. Hard to believe 23 seasons, time flies. I sure miss those days so have to get back out there. My archery is more crossbow these days so I think the black powder season is best for me. BP in Colorado is in my mind the best week of the rut. In the early days we used to hate having a few muzzleloaders in the woods that week when we were bow hunting. As my kids grew up they wanted to hunt elk so BP was our best way. There are really is not much better thrill hunting than calling in a nice bull during rut. The Aspens are bright and the woods are crisp. Nice time for sure.

Jared Flores, Medicine Bow Outfitter’s, (970) 631-2812
He hauls sheep herder wagons up into the Rawahs before archery season and out after the last rifle season. I think it takes 4 preference points for muzzleloading that area (GMA 6). A bud used him to take a fine bull Shiras. He said he saw maybe 150 good bull elk in the 5 days he hunted.
I was thinking of doing it in 2020 until I realized I can no longer see open sights well enough on my CVA.

Mr. Ridgewalker, I have the same problem with the sights on my muzzle loaders however I have a couple of fixes for you.

I used a peep sight for a number of years which worked quite well. Then a friend down in southwest Colorado suggest that I try a Seeall dovetail sight. He had checked with the CP&W and it is legal. He then asked them about the cross hair sight and they said no so he stuck to the dovetail one. I now have one on my TC Triumph but haven't used it on a animal yet but it works quite well on targets.

https://seeallopensight.com/products/mk1-original-seeall-open-sight

Attachments

• Screenshot (605).png
    Screenshot (605).png
    298.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Screenshot (606).png
    Screenshot (606).png
    66.2 KB · Views: 88
  • Screenshot (607).png
    Screenshot (607).png
    66 KB · Views: 81
  • Screenshot (608).png
    Screenshot (608).png
    68.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Screenshot (609).png
    Screenshot (609).png
    63.2 KB · Views: 88
Last edited by a moderator:
Mr. Ridgewalker, I have the same problem with the sights on my muzzle loaders however I have a couple of fixes for you.

I used a peep sight for a number of years which worked quite well. Then a friend down in southwest Colorado suggest that I try a Seeall dovetail sight. He had checked with the CP&W and it is legal. He then asked them about the cross hair sight and they said no so he stuck to the dovetail one. I now have one on my TC Triumph but haven't used it on a animal yet but it works quite well on targets.

https://seeallopensight.com/products/mk1-original-seeall-open-sight

Interesting concept my eyes are also a struggle. All my other rifles I have gone to scopes or red dots and hence both not allowed in Colorado BP this could be just the ticket. Thank you I’ll try one out
Ed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg