Elk Bow Hunt

Ive got to watch your test videos on the tooth of the arrow, I was not impressed by its performance on this bull. . . But I do like the pro tracker concept, I will also be interested in learning more about it. Can think of several hunts where it might have made a difference in the outcome

Nice Bull. I’ve ended up with cows twice now hunting Colorado. I waited until last hunt and took last thing I called in. Both time all I saw was younger bulls. A nice 7X7 came into my camp the night before season started. We had a spike come through, saw on off to left that was young 4x4 and a 3x3 on other side, then the big stud and his cows came through. They didn’t even seem bothered we were 10’ away at all, just passed through. We tracked him for hours the next day, but he went way up into high country. It was like he was seeing if it was hunting season yet and getting look at hunters! Was my first time and an amazing experience. I called the entire time, and almost every time a cow came in. I reckon they didn’t have suitors yet and were looking for love. I will go back again, and try again. I had a bad neck injury and I’m having to work back up to bow. Wonder in Colorado allows crossbows for disabled people?

Nice Bull. I’ve ended up with cows twice now hunting Colorado. I waited until last hunt and took last thing I called in. Both time all I saw was younger bulls. A nice 7X7 came into my camp the night before season started. We had a spike come through, saw on off to left that was young 4x4 and a 3x3 on other side, then the big stud and his cows came through. They didn’t even seem bothered we were 10’ away at all, just passed through. We tracked him for hours the next day, but he went way up into high country. It was like he was seeing if it was hunting season yet and getting look at hunters! Was my first time and an amazing experience. I called the entire time, and almost every time a cow came in. I reckon they didn’t have suitors yet and were looking for love. I will go back again, and try again. I had a bad neck injury and I’m having to work back up to bow. Wonder in Colorado allows crossbows for disabled people?
It's always exciting to be in the midst of such big animals--and to be communicating with them. I'm not sure of the latest regs in CO re crossbows.

No, CO does not allow crossbows during archery season. They are legal to use during rifle seasons.
From the 2022 regs:
5. CROSSBOWS
a. Draw weight must be a minimum of 125 pounds.
b. Draw length must be a minimum of 14 inches from front of bow to nocking
point of drawstring.
c. Positive mechanical safety device required.
d. Bolt must be a minimum of 16 inches long, have a broadhead that is a minimum of 7/8-inch wide and with a minimum of two steel cutting edges. Each
cutting edge must be in the same plane for entire length of cutting surface.
e. Illegal during archery seasons.

The only exception for disabled hunters that I'm aware of is the ability to get a permit to shoot from a vehicle (still can't shoot from a public road, just a forest service trail or on private land)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg