Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
SCI, DSC, PHASA, DWWC
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe Mozambique, USA
Wanted to share this picture of an elephant we got next to Kruger National Park a week ago...

Client used my Ruger .375H&H for the first two shots - neither of which going where they were supposed to go and we ended up tracking the bull the rest of the day and most of the next day. Finally got him late afternoon - giving me the opportunity yo put my new .458 LOTT to use.

ele_werner.jpg

Man, that 458 works!!!

Attachments

• ele_werner.jpg
    ele_werner.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 89
It seems that there was an adversarial thread about the merits of the 375 Ruger

I was just thinking

well, maybe I will pour another glass and study this picture further and see if this justifies my opin

"Client used my Ruger .375H&H for the first two shots - neither of which going where they were supposed to go"

There were just a couple of bad shots, not the caliber.

"Client used my Ruger .375H&H for the first two shots - neither of which going where they were supposed to go"

There were just a couple of bad shots, not the caliber.

Yes indeed. There was nothing wrong with the caliber at all. Not even a .600 would have made a difference on that first shot which was a foot low and left from the aiming point.

Here is another picture:

Ele_werner_chris.jpg

Attachments

• Ele_werner_chris.jpg
    Ele_werner_chris.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 75
Well congrats to both your clients and you, lucky that Ele didnt decide to go into the park. You obviously got those sight issues sorted out since I left.

Well congrats to both your clients and you, lucky that Ele didnt decide to go into the park. You obviously got those sight issues sorted out since I left.

Hi Derek and thanks.

Yep, adjusted the rear sight and it's now shooting straight.

Will get that SD card in the mail to you this week. Sorry for the delay.

No prob, shooting Eles is more important. For some reason I dont remember it having a hooded front sight, I thought maybe you changed it. Either way nice gun and a fitting 1st kill, Im sure your client was glad it was there to save his expensive Ele trophy.

No prob, shooting Eles is more important. For some reason I dont remember it having a hooded front sight, I thought maybe you changed it. Either way nice gun and a fitting 1st kill, Im sure your client was glad it was there to save his expensive Ele trophy.

Hi Derek, didn't do any work on the front sights - they're still the same and yep - we're sure glad it turned out well in the end.

Indeed a nice way to inaugurate the Lott!

Take care,

Chris

Great follow up and recovery. plus a nice elephant.

Shot placement is very important on Dangerous Game.

The question not asked in everyone mind, is what was the distance that the 2 way-ward shot's were taken at?...

And the second question were they frontal or side shot. brain or body shot and just where did these way-ward shots impact?...

James,

The first shot was a frontal brain shot attempt from 30 yards which hit the elephant just above and right of the left tusk. The second a running-away shot which penetrated the elphant's stomach about a foot in front of the left hip and travelled all the way through the elephant to be recovered deep (and I mean really deep) inside the far (right) shoulder. We found it amazing that the Barness solid missed the heart / lungs at that angle but penetration of the .375 was certainly not a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jemsbond

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.