Elephant trophies

Backyardsniper

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I think I already know the answer to this but I thought I would check. I just changed my tuskless hunt to a bull elephant hunt for next year. I decided I better get it done before you cant do it at all. Is there any part of the elephant that is legal to bring back as a trophy or are all elephant "trophy's" banned?

I think you could have some elephant tail hair made into bracelets and just carry them out? Anything more obtrusive is going to be complicated I believe

I thought that to be the case. What happens to the ivory? They just keep it there in the country, does the government get to sell it and keep the funds? While I would love to have the tusks its not a huge deal. I'll get some replicas made in sure, but knowing I got to hunt one and having a few pictures will be good enough. I mean an elephant skin gun case would not hurt my feelings. Ha ha

Unfortunately I do not yet have any experience hunting elephant and bringing (or not) the ivory/skins back home. So cannot help you with that @Backyardsniper. But I'm sure there are a few members on AH who will have the knowledge you seek!

If anything, a tuskless hunt is going to be be more dangerous and exciting. Why spend more more money on a trophy bull if you can’t bring home the ivory?

You would want to import the trophies to the USA right?
Admittedly I have not checked the USF&WS website lately, but I believe you CAN import elephant trophies from Zimbabwe.
Check their website for the latest . .

If anything, a tuskless hunt is going to be be more dangerous and exciting. Why spend more more money on a trophy bull if you can’t bring home the ivory?
It is not out of the question that I could do that. Those were my original thoughts exactly, then spend the extra money on other trophy fees. I just really would like to kill a bull for my first, and possibly only elephant.

You would want to import the trophies to the USA right?
Admittedly I have not checked the USF&WS website lately, but I believe you CAN import elephant trophies from Zimbabwe.
Check their website for the latest . .
Will do. That would be great if.you could import them but I believe there is a ban on it. I will definitely double check.

There is no Blanket ban, just a process by USFWS that is a PIA.
There are plenty of threads on the subject. Have a search.

Will do. That is a big bonus if I can bring back the ivory.
There is no ban as mentioned. The import permitting has been on hold with USFW due to some legal challenges made by antis. Some permit applications that were three and four years old recently started getting approval. Where do you plan to hunt your elephant!?

CA Austin I am in the same boat. Hunting Zim for elephant in 23. Elected a tuskless since can’t take any home to US but if there was a way I would upgrade to a bull. Hunting with Phillip Glass

I think I already know the answer to this but I thought I would check. I just changed my tuskless hunt to a bull elephant hunt for next year. I decided I better get it done before you cant do it at all. Is there any part of the elephant that is legal to bring back as a trophy or are all elephant "trophy's" banned?
Where?

Botswana, Tanzania and Zimbabwe are importable not sure about Zambia. I am have CITES permit apps ongoing for Zim elephant trophies going back a few years now that the lawsuit was successful.

Going to Zim apparently they are importable with a little bit of hoop jumping. CAustin has got me all lined out now.

There are no elephant import bans From the countries that we hunt. The USFWS has just not been issuing permits for years. Now that we have won in court against them they are now worming to issue all the permits.
there are never any guarantees for the future.
Go hunt your bull!
Philip

Not currently banned. Some have been getting approved as of late. Just gotta be sure the hunt is documented as contributing to the conservation of the species.

Contact a good import agent and ask questions.

But yes get replicas made. TCI in Bulawayo does it well and can store the real tusks for you. They have a leather division that can make skins into lots of things.

Best of luck and have a great adventure!

The permits are being processed again - as others have stated. My only add would be to go through Conservation Force. They, along with DSC, are the ones that filed the lawsuit that got the permits moving again.

It is not a free service anymore, but they know more about it than anyone else and have the connections / track record to get it done. They're currently assisting me with my Zim permit. Give me a call if you want to chat. They're an organization that is very worthy of our support.

Excited for your hunt. There's nothing else like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.