Elephant Step Up

robertq

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Life member of DSC, SCI, NRA, Rocky Mt Elk Foundation, American Hunter, Buck Masters & Ruffed Grouse Society
Hunted
Russia, Argentina, Canada & South Africa
http://www.prnewswire.com/news...s-law-300236588.html

African Elephants Move One Step Closer to Endangered Listing under US Law

Fish and Wildlife Service responds positively to petition from animal protection groups to up-list African elephants from 'Threatened' to 'Endangered'; long process still ahead

WASHINGTON, March 15, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- In a positive response to a scientific petition submitted last year by animal protection groups, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service said increased Endangered Species Act protections may be warranted for the African elephant. Humane Society International, The Humane Society of the United States and the International Fund for Animal Welfare submitted the original petition on Feb. 11, 2015.

Following today's preliminary positive finding on the petition, the FWS will now invite information from scientists and the public about the African elephants' status and threats to determine whether an Endangered listing would be appropriate. With some exceptions, an Endangered listing would prohibit the import of African elephant trophies as well as the import, export and domestic trade in elephant parts, including ivory.

Teresa M. Telecky, Ph.D., director of the wildlife department at HSI, said: "The science clearly supports an Endangered listing for the African elephant and we are encouraged the U.S. has taken this critical step toward greater protection for this majestic species."

"Today's decision is a critical step in the government's promise to protect elephants," said Peter LaFontaine, campaigns officer, IFAW. "The Endangered Species Act is the most powerful law we have in this country to safeguard elephants against the unnecessary threats of trade and trophy hunting. We thank the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service for recognizing that the species is becoming more critically endangered and stronger protections may be warranted."

African elephant populations have declined 60 percent since the FWS listed them as Threatened in 1978. The steep decline is largely a result of habitat loss, poaching, commercial exploitation, trophy hunting, human-elephant conflict, regional conflict and instability, and climate change. Between 2005 and 2014, trophy hunters imported parts of 4,600 African elephants to the U.S.

If the government moves forward with heightened protections under the Endangered Species Act, the import, export and interstate sale of African elephant parts would be prohibited in the United States, unless such activity can be shown to enhance the survival of the species.

About Humane Society International
Humane Society International and its partner organizations together constitute one of the world's largest animal protection organizations. For more than 20 years, HSI has been working for the protection of all animals through the use of science, advocacy, education and hands on programs. Celebrating animals and confronting cruelty worldwide – on the Web at hsi.org.

About The Humane Society of the United States
The Humane Society of the United States is the nation's largest animal protection organization, rated most effective by our peers. For 60 years, we have celebrated the protection of all animals and confronted all forms of cruelty. We are the nation's largest provider ofhands-on services for animals, caring for more than 100,000 animals each year, and we prevent cruelty to millions more through ouradvocacy campaigns. Read more about our 60 years of transformational change for animals, and visit us online athumanesociety.org.

About IFAW
Founded in 1969, IFAW saves animals in crisis around the world. With projects in more than 40 countries, IFAW rescues individual animals, works to prevent cruelty to animals, and advocates for the protection of wildlife and habitats. For more information, visitwww.ifaw.org. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

SOURCE International Fund for Animal Welfare

Last edited by a moderator:
Knew this was coming! That's why I did my hunt last year!

Key part... Elephants have declined 60% since USFW listed them as threatened. What a difference that made. Once they make them endangered maybe they can start a Instagram campaign where they hold a piece of paper with #elephant on it. Surely that will help the Elephants.

I certainly don't like this news, but even if it happens it really won't change anything for me. I'm still trying to figure out how to go elephant hunting.

I preface this by saying that I love my trophies as much as any hunter but, I agree with Royal..

As much as I hope I am able to bring at least one set of ivory home with me when I do my elephant hunt, that's not the real reason I want to hunt them. To me, in this instance, the trophy is truly secondary. Couple that with how good some of the replica tusks looks now, makes me hope that I won't just hunt one....

I've even thought about hunting lion for a far discounted rate even if I never get to bring the trophy home with me. Again, done in the right way, the hunt is what defines this more than the trophy......at least for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VEXCatheri

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!