Elephant Pictures - The Magnificent SEVEN - Big Tusker Elephants

good jungle tusks from the Upper Mbomou-CAR in the 70ies

IMG_5195.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

I will try to add notations to a couple of these photos.

1st photo is the largest known elephant out of Somalia. 146/141 lbs. 9'10"/9'9" in length per Rowland Ward. Shot in 1965 by Silla Cigade. 32nd largest pair.

2nd photo. I am not positive but I think the elephant is "Ahmed of Marsabit" in Northern Kenya. The last few years of his life he had full time guards. He is now on display in Nairobi.

I will try to add notations to a couple of these photos.

2nd photo. I am not positive but I think the elephant is "Ahmed of Marsabit" in Northern Kenya. The last few years of his life he had full time guards. He is now on display in Nairobi.

full

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjczZ7Q-5jgAhUiiKYKHXEsAPAQFjABegQICRAB&url=http://www.schenk-taxidermy.com/ahmed---a-story.html&usg=AOvVaw0d0hZ4ObDeLDPGzwdfKS4p

Wheels.
When was he born something?
At the turn of the 20th century.
We would give what we want, wouldn't we?
Regards from Munich
Foxi

Foxi,

Thank you for the post about the Taxidermy. I never knew who did the work on Ahmed. As a coincidence, our family used Zimmerman's on a couple of animals as well.

As I recall, there was an elephant possibly 30 years older than Ahmed, named Mohamed of Marsabit. They looked to have very similar ivory. The general consensus was that Ahmed was Mohamed's son. I have seen photos but can't find anything about him now and need to run.

Another photo of Ahmed. Truly a beautiful animal!

10896848_870102296380321_7379390551629615771_n.jpg

Attachments

• 10896848_870102296380321_7379390551629615771_n.jpg
    10896848_870102296380321_7379390551629615771_n.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 273

Great story Foxi. I knew Ahmed was displayed in Nairobi, but didn't know the rest.

To see him in the wild.....

full

my Zimbabwean PH ,at that time, a Game Manager at Hangwe/Wankie National Park .
His and the best elephant harvested ever during elephant control.
A quarter of a century ago in Gonarezou .
Fellows,please guess the weight (of the tusk ;)).
Regards
Foxi

full

Regards
Foxi

So you want us to make a fool out of ourselves. It might help to know if the individual holding the tusk is a Tutsi or a San.:D

I have no problem embarrassing myself. I do that on AH quite a bit. ;) 80#

So you want us to make a fool out of ourselves. It might help to know if the individual holding the tusk is a Tutsi or a San.:D

I have no problem embarrassing myself. I do that on AH quite a bit. ;) 80#

Wheels,
nobody should make a fool of himself if he misjudges such a weight.
And the PH is no San :sleep:,but a Shona with over 1,80 m
The tooth weighs 105 pounds (@ RickCox : wow you guessed 104,respect)
The second ,not to see ,broke off,79 pounds.
I would have guessed it more easily, since it seems to be relatively thin.

This amazing man has shot in his life over 500 elephants, all of them with the .375 H+H on elephant control .He raves in the highest tones (he had no other) about the 375, because he thinks none would have such a penetration as this and all with the "cheap" South African PMP ammunition.But head shots.
He told me, how he tried to paralyze a marauding elephant from behind over the tail root to him, then the catch shot to attach and missed the spine, the full metal bullet stuck in the lung and the elephant died after 800 m
The necessity for these control hunts would still be there, but after the new media has spread everything about the world in a flash, no government dares to go through with it to escape the shitstorm anymore.
These culls didn't deserve the word hunt either, when the lead cow lay on the ground (she got the first shot, a question of life) it was a slaughter to shoot the rest of the excited herd.
It is a pure wild biological measure, but all meat has been used in Zimbabwe !!! Depending on the size of the herds, up to 300 men were busy with the logistic and the shooters were always three of them with a loader.

If you consider that the photo is over 25 years old, the population in Sub-Saharan Africa has doubled since then.
What will remain for us hunters there in the next 25 years?

By the way, my wife thinks the zebra pants of my hunter are very fancy and I'm happy, not to have to wear them ;)

Nice weekend
Foxi

Wheels,
nobody should make a fool of himself if he misjudges such a weight.
And the PH is no San :sleep:,but a Shona with over 1,80 m
The tooth weighs 105 pounds (@ RickCox : wow you guessed 104,respect)
The second ,not to see ,broke off,79 pounds.
I would have guessed it more easily, since it seems to be relatively thin.

This amazing man has shot in his life over 500 elephants, all of them with the .375 H+H on elephant control .He raves in the highest tones (he had no other) about the 375, because he thinks none would have such a penetration as this and all with the "cheap" South African PMP ammunition.But head shots.
He told me, how he tried to paralyze a marauding elephant from behind over the tail root to him, then the catch shot to attach and missed the spine, the full metal bullet stuck in the lung and the elephant died after 800 m
The necessity for these control hunts would still be there, but after the new media has spread everything about the world in a flash, no government dares to go through with it to escape the shitstorm anymore.
These culls didn't deserve the word hunt either, when the lead cow lay on the ground (she got the first shot, a question of life) it was a slaughter to shoot the rest of the excited herd.
It is a pure wild biological measure, but all meat has been used in Zimbabwe !!! Depending on the size of the herds, up to 300 men were busy with the logistic and the shooters were always three of them with a loader.

If you consider that the photo is over 25 years old, the population in Sub-Saharan Africa has doubled since then.
What will remain for us hunters there in the next 25 years?

By the way, my wife thinks the zebra pants of my hunter are very fancy and I'm happy, not to have to wear them ;)

Nice weekend
Foxi

Foxi,

My estimate was 4.5' outside the lip along with an 18" circumference at the lip would be apx. 81# . Do you know what the measurements of the tusk are? Must be more like 5'x20" or 4.5'x22".

Neat tusk and story. Thanks for sharing.

Ivory_shot_by_Deaf_Banks_in_the_Belgian_Congo,_1912.jpg

shot by Deaf Banks.
Belgian Kongo 1912

4-great-tusker-george-dian-balan.jpg

do we have this guy in this thread already ?

full

Regards
Foxi
I’m guessing this one made two pockets of cement aka 100 pounds .im going to say 105.

After the recent rains we took a trip to Pilanesburg National park for a photographic safari.... Elephants, Elephants and more Elephants.....

IMG_7515.JPG
IMG_7522.jpg
DSC_6504.jpg
DSC_7985.jpg
DSC_7989.jpg
DSC_7990.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_7985.JPG
    7.1 MB · Views: 194
  • DSC_7990.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 178
  • DSC_7989.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 174
  • DSC_6504.JPG
    7.2 MB · Views: 183
Makuya Game Park Greater Kruger

full

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HowardDove

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,