Elephant Pictures - The Magnificent SEVEN - Big Tusker Elephants

As far as I know Duke broke both his tusk. He still roams Kruger but with nothing more than two stubs protruding just beyond the lip. What a pity for he is amazing.

132 pounds and 7 and a half feet long Elephant tusk

A 132 pounds and 7 and a half feet long Elephant tusk being examined in the ivory house in Dar-Es-Salaam, Tanzania. The tusk is part of a stock seized by government game wardens from poachers, circa 1960.

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Reminds me of the term used "Days gone Bye"....you will see the occasional 100 lb elephant taken...but the days of it regularly happening are long gone and done. The best habitat is being over used....and Botswana never did produce long heavy elephant tusks.

Elephant Tusks Dar-es-salaam around 1900

watermark.php

Four men carrying an Elephant tusk in Zanzibar, Tanzania late 19th century.

watermark.php

Said to be a record, Gordon Kennington, 1946

Said to be a record
Gordon Kennington, 1946

Recently Mr. Gordon Kennington, a tobacco planter of Fort Jameson, who has been demobolised from the K.A.R. Armoured Car unit, shot an Elephant in the Petauke district of the Luangwa Valley. It is said that a new record has been established for Northern Rhodesia and possibly for Central Africa. The weight of the tusks (shown in the photograph with Mr. Kennington) are 120 and 124 lb, heoght 8 feet 4 inches and the circumference 21 and a half to 23 and a quarter inches. Because there has been very little shooting in the Luangwa Valley during the war years, it is now said to be teeming with game.

watermark.php

11 feet Tusks

11 feet Tusks

Elephant tusks weighing 293 lbs and measuring more tha 11 feet each, this pair of elephant tusks from the Congo are in the Bronx Zoo.

watermark.php

watermark.php

Amazing tusks remind that hunt is not a competition, it's pleasure. Who would like a world record have to know that the right way is to go a club.

Tusks from Elephants shot by Freddie Guest, a wealthy MP, cousin of Winston Churchill and a renowned big game hunter.

watermark.php

Osa Johnson holding 8 feet Elephant Tusks, circa 1920

watermark.php

Huge Elephant Tusks in Bandundu, Congo.

As Director of Laboratories at the Rockefeller Foundation's International Health Division, Dr. Wilbur A. Sawyer served as a delegate to various international health conferences. Returning from a conference on yellow fever in Cape Town in November 1932, he passed through the Belgian Congo (now Democratic Republic of the Congo) to talk with officials there about yellow fever surveys. He took several pictures of these elephant tusks to send to his son Billy. Here Sawyer holds up one tusk to show its length compared to his own height of 5'8". The caption on the back of the photograph reads, "Dec. 24, 1932.

watermark.php

watermark.php

Elephant Tusks Presented to the Lord Mayor of London at the Mansion House by the South African Scouts, circa 1920.

watermark.php

Massive Asiatic Tusker .......

watermark.php

Monish

watermark.php

Ivory from the African jungle being readied for export in Mombasa

watermark.php

Ivory on a side street of Mombasa ready to ship to America

Incredible collections of photos and tusks.
Monish, it makes me want to drop by the British Museum one trip and also into see the 6 of 7.
Thanks for the tour.

Piano Keys from Elephant Tusks
Popular Science Monthly January 1937

(click on image to enlarge)

The Big Tusk

The Big Tusk, measuring 8 feet 7 and a half inches and weighing 165 pounds, presented by the Officers serving British East Africa to H.R.H. The Duke of York on the occasion of his marriage. From a photograph by Mr. J. R. W. Pigott.

watermark.php

Here is a picture from one of our member Shallom. I quote: "Probably the biggest tusker in Tanzania. Here is an Elephant that is a "look but don't touch" tusker in Tanzania. I believe he is the biggest tusker in Tanzania at the moment. Enjoy..."

watermark.php

Here is a picture posted by one of our member Arnaud Mermet. I quote: "Elephant estimated to be oner a hundred pound. Picture taken by my friend and PH François Loynnet in 2008. This Elephant is still in the Selous!!"

watermark.php

watermark.php

Here is a picture from one of our member Shallom. I quote: "Probably the biggest tusker in Tanzania. Here is an Elephant that is a "look but don't touch" tusker in Tanzania. I believe he is the biggest tusker in Tanzania at the moment. Enjoy..."

watermark.php

So, now I know how to tell a trophy elephant. If he has to hold his head back just to walk he is huge!!
I have never seen an elephant walk with his forehead pointed at such an angle. Makes sense he would have to do so, but I have never seen that, ever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois