Elephant Pictures - The Magnificent SEVEN - Big Tusker Elephants

Estimating the weight of an elephant tusk from its size is only possible within the particular population of a given area, and in this case we are not even sure if it's a savanna or a forest elephant.

So how does your calculator work?
I estimate the circumference at the lip at 17"

(Diameter” at lip x 3 x feet of exposed ivory)*.914

The multiplier to account for root weight and adjustment to Pi.

In this instance, 6” at lip, 6’ of ivory. Pretty close to your circumference measurement …. 108# wet weight.

Estimating the weight of an elephant tusk from its size is only possible within the particular population of a given area, and in this case we are not even sure if it's a savanna or a forest elephant.
It is in the Kruger SA....no forest elephants here

(Diameter” at lip x 3 x feet of exposed ivory)*.914

The multiplier to account for root weight and adjustment to Pi.

In this instance, 6” at lip, 6’ of ivory. Pretty close to your circumference measurement …. 108# wet weight.
And no deduction or compensation for thin Ivory?

Look at Dzombo...
19.68 (almost 3 inches more) diameter tusks almost 8 feet in length(2 feet more than your over estimation) weight 122 pounds and compare to this thin tusked bull....and tell me me he is only 20lbs more than the bull in question?
Luckily you are not a DG ph telling the client this is a hundred pounder as you would be out of a job before you started.....

And no deduction or compensation for thin Ivory?

Circumference takes care of that.

I respect your hunting knowledge a ton. Based on you putting him where you did on circumference, I think it would be materially less possible to substantiate your weight in the low 60s v mine at 100. I am no expert, just a hunch. That elephant doesn’t curve much but is very long and quite old. He’s all of it.

Look at Dzombo...
19.68 (almost 3 inches more) diameter tusks almost 8 feet in length(2 feet more than your over estimation) weight 122 pounds and compare to this thin tusked bull....and tell me me he is only 20lbs more than the bull in question?
Luckily you are not a DG ph telling the client this is a hundred pounder as you would be out of a job before you started.....

I will assume this is also to me. Not sure why seemingly argumentative but here’s the answer:
You are confusing diameter and circumference. There is a meaningful multiplier (3.14) to get from one metric to the other; as such 1” diameter would mean 24# on the elephant referenced above. That’s 24 wet pounds … the 122# you cited is without a root so roughly 10% below the weigh on hoof. Further, 19.68” v my estimate of 18” means the tusk, at the base, was only .53” wider than my estimate on the other Ele.

I’m sure I would be out of a job first… you can probably make a decent living selling 100# ivory as if it were 60#.

DE451C4A-F9AB-415B-8F11-DCA1DF5670FC.jpeg
34F856DC-8F00-439D-91DB-8029AB70F715.jpeg
68D00F80-17FF-44E5-AFC2-8906F8A4FBB3.jpeg
E62EEF28-117E-43C7-B741-903420E57611.jpeg
2F975E92-C494-42BF-9245-4D613DEC9698.jpeg

.375 Holland & Holland Magnum pre ‘64 Winchester Model 70
300Gr Remington Round Nosed Steel Jacketed FMJ Solid
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum BRNO ZKK602
300Gr Norma Solid

This Monarch of Amboseli died today at age 51, due to an infection from a spear wound suffered while raiding a families garden. The good news, he is past breeding age and his dna has been spread through out Amboseli, Chyulu Hills and Tsavo West. Iconic photo with Hans Meyer and Uhuru in the background.

1682642049113.png

This Monarch of Amboseli died today at age 51, due to an infection from a spear wound suffered while raiding a families garden. The good news, he is past breeding age and his dna has been spread through out Amboseli, Chyulu Hills and Tsavo West. Iconic photo with Hans Meyer and Uhuru in the background.

View attachment 530664
Very cool but sad. Good news about his descendants. It’s a shame his death won’t profit anyone or his kind. I may be wrong but can you even hunt trophy elephant in Tanzania? Thanks for sharing

Very cool but sad. Good news about his descendants. It’s a shame his death won’t profit anyone or his kind. I may be wrong but can you even hunt trophy elephant in Tanzania? Thanks for sharing

You can hunt elephant in Tanzania. This bull lived his life in Kenya where they don't have hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg