Elephant Mock Charges - When Do You Need To Make A Definitive Decision..?

DOC-404

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Seen some interesting things in the bush in my short 53 years.Some friends and I kicked this question around a bit next to the fire over the week-end.Would like to hear some other views and opinions on Elephant mock charges.

Docman i had a few in my 18 years hunting full time. Buffalo, Elephant and lion. The worst was a non wounded male lion at my place. He did charge without any reason for that moment. He stopped at 15 yards growl and put up a hell of a show even scratched the ground with his back feet, flick his tail several times then turn around and walked away, i had him lined-up he was really at the end of my 375's barrel but shooting him was just not on for me. At that moment i was thinking if he go down to jump i will have to shoot but he was in a half sitting standing position all the time, at 15 yards i did not had much to play with. It then turned out that him and another male lion took down two Zebra very close by when i walked up on them. He was just guarding his meal. Well i made it out of the area and saved my skin.
Johan

Surprised there is only one response in ten years.....

Lets start it up again....

There is a very simple answer however determining that point only comes with experience and time spent around DG...

A charge only becomes a mock charge when it stops....

Surprised there is only one response in ten years.....

Lets start it up again....

There is a very simple answer however determining that point only comes with experience and time spent around DG...

A charge only becomes a mock charge when it stops....
:A Way To Go: Absolutely brilliant.

Saw a recent video that cited 10 yards as a typical legal self-defense range accepted by wildlife management folks. 6 yards being must shoot (and kill with a single shot) or, as the video said, be "turned into toe jam."

Are there any pictures or videos that demonstrate the different kinds of charges?

The time for a hunter to make a decision is immediately following the ph's first shot or him screaming shoot. There is too much legality and money involved to make that decision on your own. Your life is obvouisly worth more than that, but you hired him to keep you safe (and you better have researched him well in advance of this moment). His judgement is all part of that; he isn't going to stand there quiet and let you get trampled

Seen some interesting things in the bush in my short 53 years.Some friends and I kicked this question around a bit next to the fire over the week-end.Would like to hear some other views and opinions on Elephant mock charges.

When the PH says shoot, I shoot.

Great video. I would have liked to have known him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg